Just Made Green Belt In Goju Ryu

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just made green belt in Goju Ryu. I know, rank isn't everything, but now I can say Im an intermediate in that style so I consider it a milestone. Having really fun with Goju Ryu. Although its not my first Karate style I am learning lots of stuff from it that I can apply to my overall knowledge and skill in the martial arts.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats.

I know, rank isn't everything, but now I can say Im an intermediate in that style so I consider it a milestone.

It might not be everything, but it's something. It's obviously something to you so don't take notice of people saying it's completely meaningless - be proud of yourself :)

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations mate, that's fantastic :). Deep respect for Goju Ryu, looove the katas too...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations. As was previously said, rank isn’t everything, but it’s great to recognize your hard work and improvement.

Seido does a mix of Goju Ryu and Shotokan kata. I always like the Goju Ryu kata better. Sanchin, Gekisai Dai, Tensho, Saiha/Saifa, Tsuki-No* kata, and Seiunchin.

*Tsuki-No kata isn’t mainstream Goju, but it was developed by Seigo Tada (Miyagi’s student) and is practiced in Seigokan Goju Ryu, so IMO its a Goju Ryu kata :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats. glad your still training and working hard.

Congratulations mate, that's fantastic :). Deep respect for Goju Ryu, looove the katas too...

Congratulations. As was previously said, rank isn’t everything, but it’s great to recognize your hard work and improvement.

Seido does a mix of Goju Ryu and Shotokan kata. I always like the Goju Ryu kata better. Sanchin, Gekisai Dai, Tensho, Saiha/Saifa, Tsuki-No* kata, and Seiunchin.

*Tsuki-No kata isn’t mainstream Goju, but it was developed by Seigo Tada (Miyagi’s student) and is practiced in Seigokan Goju Ryu, so IMO its a Goju Ryu kata :)

i have a vague memory (and i could be very wrong on this) but i seem to remember something about @PhotonGuy is training in a style called Goju-Ryu but is not Okinawan Goju or Japanese Goju Kai. am i correct on that? so the kata might be different.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congrats. glad your still training and working hard.

i have a vague memory (and i could be very wrong on this) but i seem to remember something about @PhotonGuy is training in a style called Goju-Ryu but is not Okinawan Goju or Japanese Goju Kai. am i correct on that? so the kata might be different.
There is Chinese Goju, Ron Van Kleef’s system. Maybe that? If so, different kata list. Okinawan Goju and Japanese Goju Kai share the same kata for the most part.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is Chinese Goju, Ron Van Kleef’s system. Maybe that? If so, different kata list. Okinawan Goju and Japanese Goju Kai share the same kata for the most part.
There are also American goju ryu styles.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just made green belt in Goju Ryu. I know, rank isn't everything, but now I can say Im an intermediate in that style so I consider it a milestone. Having really fun with Goju Ryu. Although its not my first Karate style I am learning lots of stuff from it that I can apply to my overall knowledge and skill in the martial arts.

I'm not technically savvy on any part of Goju Ryu. Could you post some vids, representative of the / your green belt requirements?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats on your accomplishment. Progress is always a good thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, man. I've never really pursued rank, but I always enjoyed clearing whatever the next hurdle was.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! Goju Ryu is as close to Kyokushin as Okinawan karate gets. Where do you train ?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not technically savvy on any part of Goju Ryu. Could you post some vids, representative of the / your green belt requirements?
I don't have any vids, not from my dojo, but as for the requirements you've got to be able to adequately perform the katas Geiki Sai Dai Ichi. and Geiki Sai Dai Ni. You've also got to be able to perform various self defense techniques and combos and you've got to spar for three rounds, each round being two minutes.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats.

It might not be everything, but it's something. It's obviously something to you so don't take notice of people saying it's completely meaningless - be proud of yourself :)
It depends, exactly what a rank means varies from dojo to dojo as every dojo and instructor has their own set of requirements and standards. I do know becoming a green belt at my dojo, that you have to work hard to do that. Some students don't care much if at all about earning rank and just want to develop skill although if you do want to earn rank you will have to develop skill, at least if you're earning it at a worthwhile dojo.