Just Made Green Belt In Goju Ryu

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps he liked different things at different stages of his life. Perhaps he moved a few times and trained what was available. Perhaps he cross-trained in similar styles to get a better understanding of his primary style. Perhaps his teacher closed the school for whatever reason so he had to train something else. Perhaps...

Attorney JR 137. Perhaps you are representing other posters now?

That's why you have no time to read substance. Busy with perhaps this, & perhaps that, and perhaps perhaps.

Cross training can help but it can hinder too. You're not really saying anything of value.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Liked some of your posts.:brb:

No reason to wear your resume on your sleeve either.:oops:
I shared that information with you simply because I am asking the same information from you so it seemed appropriate.

I am not in the habit of detailing my history, but you poked at the list of systems in my history. So I took the opportunity to clarify and share my history, including the names of my teachers. I am not ashamed of anything in my martial history and I don’t mind sharing it with those who are interested.

So again, have you actually received any instruction, and if so, what kind?

I do not judge someone by their rank or lack of rank. But knowing if you have any training history does give context to what you say here.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Flying Crane, There was a ton of material in your post. Appreciate all the description & reasoning.

Just have time here to ask you one question.

MMA, the commercial outfits with competitors in the UFC, Bellator and what not. The theme seems to be that TMA, doesn't translate to the Octagon without a lot of adaptation & modification. I want to focus specifically on your Wing Chun experience, because this style seem to get constantly bashed.

What's your take? With all your experience & credentials in various arts, you might have a more balanced perspective than say ATT.

I abstracted out the portion of your detailed post for this topic. Nice narrative on first blush.

:brb:

Waiting to see your stand.
I will not have any further discussions until you share something concrete about your own training. You don’t need to list the names of your teachers, nor rank. But what system(s), for how long, and was it instruction directly with a teacher, or via video or distance learning?

Give us that much info, and I will share my thoughts with you on this

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That's why you have no time to read substance. Busy with perhaps this, & perhaps that, and perhaps perhaps.

Cross training can help but it can hinder too. You're not really saying anything of value.
Ever think this is why people respond to you the way they do?

I’m not going to try to solve the riddle of it you train at a dojo or from videos. I really don’t care enough to research that. But it’s pretty obvious that you’re insecure about your methods of training. Reading the few posts here confirms that to me. I don’t care if I’m really right or wrong about that assumption. It’s just not important to me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked your profile. Tibetan White Crane to Tracy Kenpo to Capoeira. Then Taiji + Wing Chun. I'm not covering the world of martial arts (the way you "claim" you have), just looking at different styles of karate. Would have thought that would have been common sense conclusion by someone of your broad ilk.

And what's with all the styles? This so often is the mark of a "style chaser," rather than someone who invests seriously in their art. Not saying that's you, it's a concern.
More insults to hide your insecurity? By now, I'd think you'd realize you've managed to give everyone who's paying attention a very solid feel that you don't train, at all. If that's not the case, consider how you're communicating, because you come across as insecure, lacking depth of knowledge, and having a childish temper.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Flying Crane, There was a ton of material in your post. Appreciate all the description & reasoning.

Just have time here to ask you one question.

MMA, the commercial outfits with competitors in the UFC, Bellator and what not. The theme seems to be that TMA, doesn't translate to the Octagon without a lot of adaptation & modification. I want to focus specifically on your Wing Chun experience, because this style seem to get constantly bashed.

What's your take? With all your experience & credentials in various arts, you might have a more balanced perspective than say ATT.

I abstracted out the portion of your detailed post for this topic. Nice narrative on first blush.

:brb:

Waiting to see your stand.
So, "Thanks for all the information. No, I'm not going to answer your polite question - I'd rather just ignore it."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quite seriously, are you 12?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
@PhotonGuy
What new material do you have for your current rank? Which kata? I’m sure you’ve probably started some of it. How’s it going?
I have not yet started learning any more advanced forms, although I probably soon will.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In most systems, at least with what I've seen, if there is a blue belt its after green.
Kyokushin and offshoots typically put blue right after white. Not very well known fact, Tadashi Nakamura was the person who convinced Mas Oyama to incorporate the colored belt system on Kyokushin, and came up with the order of colors. It used to be white, brown, black.

Kyokushin was white-blue-yellow-green-brown-black.

Nakamura kept that order when he left Kyokushin to form Seido. Most who left Kyokushin also kept it. Kyokushin later on added orange between white and blue.

One of these days I’ll ask Nakamura why he chose those colors and order. I’ve got more pressing things to ask first though.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is true. I think you've gotten that point across very well.

We karate students only have to tend to kihon, kata, kumite. The instructors have to deal with marketing, cash flow, and the politics of the umbrella orgs. Not just teaching.
I am sure you do; just like every other TMA style along with weapons, breaking etc... Don't get pissed if you cannot play in the umbrella orgs. Yea, I said that so we would get your knee jerk reaction. I need some humor right now.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am sure you do; just like every other TMA style along with weapons, breaking etc... Don't get pissed if you cannot play in the umbrella orgs. Yea, I said that so we would get your knee jerk reaction. I need some humor right now.

You comment is interesting on getting pissed about the orgs. I'm a leader, not a follower.:bookworm:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not in the slightest.

This is where my brand of leadership comes in. Independent study. Then cross reference that against the various instructors @ the particular dojo, dojos and schools all over town.:bookworm:

P.S. Of course interest resources too. Like this wonderful forum.:smuggrin:

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not in the slightest.

Ah, your answer is incorrect, given your credentials and quality of commentary here. You should be able to glean quite a lot from the TMA School link I provided.:cool:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In most systems, at least with what I've seen, if there is a blue belt its after green.
Not in American kenpo which is my base the system there goes white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, brown 3, Brown 2, brown 1, black.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I shared that information with you simply because I am asking the same information from you so it seemed appropriate.

I am not in the habit of detailing my history, but you poked at the list of systems in my history. So I took the opportunity to clarify and share my history, including the names of my teachers. I am not ashamed of anything in my martial history and I don’t mind sharing it with those who are interested.

So again, have you actually received any instruction, and if so, what kind?

I do not judge someone by their rank or lack of rank. But knowing if you have any training history does give context to what you say here.
To me anyone who refuses to share their genuine experience normally has something to hide. Me personally I won't give out my instructors or coaches names simply because that can cause issues but am more than happy to say what styles I train.

@ShotoNoob you insult people who train more than one style. Well you don't like that that's your choice. Personally I like learning. I like seeing what else is out there and applying it. Will I be as good in one style as someone who studies that style exclusively? No I won't but if that person is a pure boxer I can out kick that boxer if that person is a grappler I can out box that grappler if that person is a pure boxer I can out grapple that boxer.

It's the same with languages. I can study French my whole life and will be able to fluid French and that's great but what use is that French when I go to Spain? Whereas the guy who learns bits of French bits of Spanish bits of German they'll be able to talk to people in multiple countries. At the end of the day it's a personal choice there's no right or wrong

Latest Discussions