Just letting everyone know

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for making the sacrifice, it's appreciated more than you know.

As a career military man I can only give one piece of advice. This applies whether you are a one-termer or if you turn into a lifer...

There will be some people that you will run into that never should have been allowed to put on the uniform. Some will be your superiors, some will be your peers and some will be your subordinates. Remember, these people are not responsible for your conduct or your reactions to their behavior, only you are. They do not represent what the military in this country stands for, only you do. Your name is on your enlistment oath, not theirs. Your service record will reflect your behavior and attitudes, not theirs. Know that you are the one ultimately responsible for your integrity.

Serve well, serve proud.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
No matter if you make it to special operations or not, do me a favor.

Tell yourself this everyday. Stay alert, Stay Alive. My nephew has this in a tatoo on his forearms as a reminder.

benj13bowlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First off I would like to congratulate you on your choice. Enlisting is probably one of the best choices I have ever made. I loved basic training, mostly because of the physical challenges, after basic we used to go run the obstacle courses on the weekends just for fun. I also went in weighing in at 155lbs and graduated at 190lbs after 19 weeks of basic + AIT.

My advise would be;
1. Never be the first to do anything except for finishing, or the last. The first ones will always screw up and the last ones get rushed.

2. Learn from everyone else’s mistakes, and try not to make them yourself.

3. Never volunteer anything, but never complain when you get volunteered (on second thought just don’t complain).

4. You will be punished for everyone else’s mistakes, don’t give the DI’s any reason to punish you.

5. You will also be deprived of sleep, a lot. Make sure you never get caught sleeping while on duty or in class.

6. Study the materials they give you, the better you know the material the easier life will be.

7. Basic will be fun if you want it to be. I remember one night where our firewatch was caught asleep twice and we all got smoked for 3 ½ hours then went downstairs and did an hour of PT. after something like that you can either think about how much life sucks, or you can think Wow! I just did that! HOOAH!!