Just letting everyone know

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am shipping off for the Army going to try to become a Green Beret. I ship to fort Benning on Wed 24 October any advise will be taken and appreciated

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am shipping off for the Army going to try to become a Green Beret. I ship to fort Benning on Wed 24 October any advise will be taken and appreciated

I really have no advice but I hope everything works out for you. Good Luck and God speed.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
no advice here, but good luck and stay strong...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Joe, I've not undertaken anything like what you're about to do. But my experience has convinced me that in any major, severe undertaking, the most important quality, the thing that's absolutely make or break, isn't strength, speed, or even smarts, though clearly all of them give you major advantages. The crucial thing is tenacity and strength of will. The powerhouses will often fade, because they don't, at bottom, desire the prize enough. Refusal to be defeated has brought more success to more people than any other single factor, I believe, including luck. So if this is something you want, just do not take `no' for an answer... from yourself. There's nothing like force of will to carry you through the harshest challenges. If you want this more than anyone else does, you'll be one of the survivors who makes the grade. Best of luck!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
From personal experience and from helping my nephew(currently serving in Afganistan with 82nd Airborn), you need to be patient and take your time. It might sound like the thing to do, but you might not like it when you get the chance. I am not sure what your primary MOS will be, but take every opportunity to train in anything you can. Keep your mind on what you are doing and make sure to never give up. Don't get caught up in the little squabbles that will come up within your Company at basic(and they will come up). Try to find someone that will help keep you going and someone that you can help. Listen carefully to what your D.I.s say and do as you are told.

The mind controls the body. The body does not control the mind.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Searcher had some great advice! Just keep your cool and don't quit. Just remember, your body can go much much further than you think it can. I'm sure you'll learn that though!

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First let me say my cousin is there and going through it. He got his ranger pin earlier this year and still training last we knew still at Fort Benning. Through want he has gone through and achieved my best advice is to stay strong, don't give up under any circumstances and push yourself harder than any you have ever done it before and don't look back. Best of luck to you, stay safe and stay strong.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First, thank you for your service to our country.

For what its worth, I have read a book by a Ranger, who recommends going into Ranger school with a little extra fat on your body if you can. The reason why is that there are parts of Ranger school (Mountain Phase?) where there is not a lot of food available. Take that for what its worth, because I have only heard this second hand!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations on your decision. As for advice, it would depend on the program that you are going though...general advice is as follows.

1. Do your best. I know it sounds trite, but don't do THE best, do YOUR best. If the APFT max score for pushups in your age group is 75, don't stop at 75... continue until you are told to stop or you physically have NOTHING left.

2. Learn and live the Code of Conduct...you'll get a class in it at basic and most of your fellow basic trainees will either fall asleep or blow it off. Pay attention and learn.

3. Don't volunteer any information but always know the answer (no matter what the question) if you are asked. Period.

4. When you get to Airborne school...follow the guy in front of you and keep your feet and knees together. Remember that the world is 75% water and the rest is drop zone!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

First, Thank You for serving, for helping to defend our families and our nation. Without persons as yourself willing to serve we would not be able to lead the lives we do.

Work hard, keep your spirits up and don't let them get into your head. The physical part is tough, others have made it so can you. What is harder is the mental toughness needed. Once your body is acclimated it will perform what your mind tells it to. Just keep your mind clear and on your goal. Their job is to try to break your mental threshold. That is the game. Many will gripe and complain don't get caught up in their game for it will only bring you and others down. Latch onto positive people and maintain a positive attitude no matter how bad it seems. The training is a mental game accept it and enjoy the ride. Just do what you are told to do when you are told to do it with a good attitude and enthusiasm and you will do well.

All my best for you and again Thank You for your service.

Danny T

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stay focused and do your job.

Take care of yourself, but be a team player. The team comes first.

Always be prepared. Keep your weapon and equipment in top shape. Get enough sleep and water.

Pain is an illusion :wink1:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rule 1: Never volunteer. :) Good Luck! Basic will have its moments, but, most of it will just suck, but that's ok, because it will make you stronger. When I went to basic I lost 65 pounds in those two months and went from a 17:50 2 mile run to a 12:20, you will be amazed at the changes it makes in you. For the rest of your life you will step with your left foot first and tend to keep your right hand empty... the M16 is 39 inches long (they will ask)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck, work hard, when you do get some leave do not screw around and blow it.
icon6.gif

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lots of good advice from some people in the know.

I'll just add: Take each day on its own. Let yesterday's less-than-perfect performances go. Don't replay them over and over, cause then your neglecting today, or the challenge they're prepping you for in the next few minutes or hours.

And don't get caught up in tomorrow's challenges--or next week's or month's or year's. A day at a time, and you'll get it done.

Good luck, Godspeed.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sooner or later (sooner, trust me...) you will be punished as a group for something you as a person had nothing to do with. Don't let it bother you. When the bitchings come, if it applies to you, correct your self, if it doesn't, let it slide, you probably got away with something deserving of punishment...
That's what my drill sargeant told us, anyways...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for your service and dedication...Stay strong...

Latest Discussions