Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (an update)

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For those who know me, I'm considering taking up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to work on my ground game. I'm currently serving as an Individual Augmentee with an Army unit in Iraq right now and am transferring my comission to the US Army or Army National Guard later this year. This post sums up my goals in the martial arts regard.

I did some training at Fort Sill, to include Modern Army Combatives and I was hooked on the Jiu Jitsu Bug.

Most of my MA training has been striking: Tae Kwon Do as a youth, Western Boxing as a 19-21 year old, and Wing Chun as a 22-24 year old. I trained with an NCO at my battalion in BJJ for a while, but my training buddy rotated out.

Does anyone know of any good BJJ schools near major Army posts? I know I'm likely gonna start out at either FT Benning or FT Sill due to BOLC II (about six weeks) and if I wind up in the Infantry or at any branch that does it's follow on training in FT Benning, I could be there upwards of a year.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go onto this site and contact the promoter Chas Jaquier, he fights MMA as well as being a serving American soldier (an officer if I remember rightly) he's currently in Germany as you can see from where his events are held but I think he will be a good contact for you as well as a source of information.

http://www.godsofwarffc.com/

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll do that. Especially if I wind up with the First Armored Division in Germany.

If you do you won't be that far from us in the UK and you are more than welcome to come and train with us. There's plenty of other places here too that I can introduce you to. BJJ and MMA here is still on the small side so we tend to know each other and are very friendly!

I think Chas has been around a bit and knows most places you can train with in the army.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh if I am ever in Germany the UK might be one of my first weekend furloughs...

You would be so spoilt for choice over where to go and what to do lol! We were stationed in Germany for three years (RAF) and we travelled all over the place, the autobahns are brilliant, no speed limits either on them! they lead to the autoroutes in neighbouring countries making travel so easy.

Easyjet do cheap flights from Germany into the UK, so whereever you land I'll find you somewhere to train!!

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You would be so spoilt for choice over where to go and what to do lol! We were stationed in Germany for three years (RAF) and we travelled all over the place, the autobahns are brilliant, no speed limits either on them! they lead to the autoroutes in neighbouring countries making travel so easy.

Easyjet do cheap flights from Germany into the UK, so whereever you land I'll find you somewhere to train!!

Where are you at in the UK if I wind up in Germany? If need be, just PM me and I'll figure it out from there.

Also when were you in the RAF?

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
You probably won't have real free time during BOLC II so it might not be worth your while to venture out and train. A week of the training is combatives anyway. Are you sure you even have to attend BOLC II? Its generally only for newly commissioned officers.