Just had a "Danger! Danger Will Robinson!" moment

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, not "just" . I just got back from six hours in the ER with a sick friend. This was earlier.

I'm a barbecue and Southern cooking fanatic, much to the disappointment of my doctor. Even without pork these days it's just the best stuff on the planet. And I keep asking the Big Guy "Lord, are You sure we have to give up eating pigs? I'd be willing to trade okra, brussel sprouts and turnips for bacon or ribs." So far there hasn't been any response :(

One of my favorite BBQ joints was Doris'. In fact, they catered our wedding *mumble* years ago. It looks like they've closed for good, so I'm trying to find another really good place close by.

Good barbecue is almost never in the best parts of town, and if you ask "Do you have plates?" and they answer "Of course" instead of plopping it down on waxed paper you might not be in for the best "Q" around. I've been in some pretty sketchy places on the lookout for yams, red beans and rice, 7-UP cake and big hunks of smoked animal flesh.

This is the first time I've ever warned myself away from a place. I had just driven up to a place and was getting out of my car. There was that unmistakable and undefinable vibe coming off the three or four guys hanging out in front of the place. It was something between "Go away, you don't belong here" and "Yeah, step a little closer". I've been a lot of places I didn't belong. This had a particular edge, so I turned right around, got into the car and drove off.

Later I was talking to a group of cops at Starbucks. They said the place had a bad reputation as a criminal hangout.

An outside observer might say it looked strange. But I was dead certain that taking another step towards the place could have been a really bad mistake. I don't know exactly what I was picking up on. In the last few years we've been working a lot on developing intention, hiding it, and getting a sense of it in others. I guess those little clues just all came together and told me to leave right away.

"And that," as Martha Stewart says, "is a Good Thing."

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well done!
icon14.gif

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very well done. So many people don't listen to that inner voice when they should.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great job! Kind of nice when something you have been working on kicks in and later you think "Oh yeah... so THAT'S it."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nicely done, Tellner. Very glad to hear you are safe.

On a side note, hope your friend in the ER will be OK.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off, as Carol said, I hope your friend is OK. Secondly, I sat here having a serious internal struggle between concern for your situation and drooling over the BBQ...you can't tell self defense stories that involve BBQ without folks getting distracted.:)

Finally, that was a great example of situational awareness. It is also a statement to the rest of the folks on MT that no-one made a comment about being paranoid. We all have "gut" instincts but few of us truly learn to listen to them and then actually translate them into action. Great job.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad everything turned out ok! :) Its amazing how that inner voice has a way of sensing when things are not quite right.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah man, nothing ruins BBQ like getting blood on your clothes.

Glad to hear everything worked out for the better.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm just amazed your brain was able to function at such a high level and warn you of danger when you were SOOOO close to good BBQ - especially since you've been jonesing for it! You should take your brain out for a beer!

I hope your friend is okay.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You made a good decision. But you dated yourself with the Lost in Space reference :rofl:. I wonder how many here didn't pick up on that.
icon10.gif

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and the concern about my friend.

He managed to blow himself up in a fire a few years back and spent months in a burn ward under sedation. Nothing has worked quite right since then, but he's getting better. This might have been one of the aftereffects or a recurrence of a drug-resistant infection he picked up as a result. We don't know yet, but he was well enough to go home, Baruch Hashem (Praise be the Name).

The incident at the BBQ joint was interesting. It's not that I haven't looked at situations and walked away before. What was different was that there was definite communication going on, and I was consciously aware of it.

One of the things I've noticed in the last few years of spending time with dangerous people and getting more deeply into the Silat is the way I react to people and vice versa. Not to get too Powerpoint presentation, but here's a few of the things that stand out:

• Most people wear their hearts on their sleeves and their basic intentions on their faces
  • When you turn "it" on just a little the good people either don't react or kind of vaguely appear uncomfortable. The bad people definitely react, sometimes in a probing challenging way, usually with wariness
  • If you're one of the sheep, you get treated like a sheep. If you're one of the bad guys you get treated like another predator. If you're a cop you get treated like a cop. But if you don't quite fit into those categories the predators aren't quite sure what to make of you. Fortunately, they seem to think that something out of the ordinary is better left alone.
  • There are magic moments between seeing, perception, a plan and action. People's minds usually run on rails between these points. It's easiest to disrupt whatever they were going to do between those stops and get them into a sort of re-assessment loop that allows you time to act and makes them react.
  • Silat, dogs and hanging around people with interesting pasts change your way of looking at the world

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeti and theletch, you've actually hit on something really important. From what I've seen and experienced people seem especially vulnerable while they're focused on something else. If my brain had been in its usual haze I would have been fixated on the goal and not noticed what was going on around me. And when that goal is BBQ, well, you know the Siren Call of the Rib Tip :)

But it would have been an interesting fight. Between blood and the smells coming out of the smoker I probably would have forgotten what I was supposed to do and had them dressed out with a couple full racks of baby back long pig ribs on the grill before I got the two competing urges separated. Just as well I decided to leave :p

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
:lfao:

Good one, Grydth!

That's the problem with the Warty Cane Toad Pai. It's fine against 10,000 Golden Bees and Centipede and just eats Praying Mantis for lunch. But it's useless against Crane style.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very well done. So many people don't listen to that inner voice when they should.
I'm only alive today because I HAVE listened... more people would be too.

Nice going Tellner. Sometimes one has to sacrifice their wonton lust for great food in exchange of being able to keep breathing freely.

Latest Discussions