Judo Students Required to Take Karate by Instructor?

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I found a Judo/Jujutsu school in my city but I am suspicious of weather it is a McDojo because it also requires students to take/pay for one Karate class per week. I really don't know a whole lot so I could be wrong about my accusation but why is the school forcing Judo students to take Karate? I though Judo could be a good self defense system on its own.

This is the school's Judo website: http://www.hickeykaratecenter.com/hickeykaratecenter.com/HKCJudoJujitsu.html

The owner/head instructor says to have these qualifications:

Shihan Hickey holds the following ranks and titles:
8th Dan Kwanmukan Ju-Jitsu
8th Dan US Ju-Jitsu
6th Dan Traditional Kodokan Judo
General Secretary, USA Karate Federation
Chief Kwanmukan Instructor
Chief Judo Instructor for Kwanmukan
1981 Inductee USA Karate Hall of Fame

I just think it is fishy to tell students that Judo is not good enough on its own so you are required to also take one Karate class per week. Please look at the website let me know if I am getting the wrong impression :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed, Nick.

Plus, all the high ranks listed are of dubious lineage...methinks your suspicions are warranted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
N

Nick Stanovic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the quick response! I found it hard to believe that an instructor would not have confidence enough in his/her teachings to say that I would need to take another MA as well. When I read that I thought that it is pretty convenient to expect students to also take Karate and conveniently the school offers Karate. I don't think going to a place focused on just one MA would tell me that their system is incomplete so I better take lessons at another school to supplement what I am being taught. It would also be very confusing to me to try and learn two Arts at once because I would probably confuse them and fail at both :(

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would also be wary. 'Tiger Kai' Karate? For a highly regarded 10th Dan, there is remarkably little information about him on the net. And, if I wanted to learn judo, I wouldn't necessarily want to learn karate.

Interesting that if you want to be part of his demo team, you have to pay extra to promote his school. Mmm! :asian:

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In addition to what has already been said, I watched their videos--the one karate video they thought was good enough to post online looks weak and lacking focus, not to mention the fact that it looks like a demonstration of Kusanku Sho that has had all sorts of junk added to it, so the quality is just as suspect as the lineage and history of the instructor. That is just my opinion, of course. That said, even if the instructor is highly skilled I would not be particularly fond of being forced to attend classes that I did not want to take--having the option to take them is definitely nice, but that isn't the same.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Run from them. Very far. Very fast. Screaming if you feel you need to.

I found the main website for this "Kwanmukan" thing (hmm, a mix of Chinese, maybe Korean maybe alternate Japanese pronunciations? Not a good sign already...), and the information was worrying to say the least... but then I decided to look over some of their videos. Including their demo team ones from 2011 (the most recent clips up).

There is nothing good there at all.

Hell, half of it is badly done acrobatics or poorly done breakdancing!!! When it gets to the "martial arts", the less said the better. And the fact that it all seems to be kids (who wouldn't have a clue how bad what they're learning is) really concerns me.

Let's see if this works, actually. I'm going to try to embed one of the demo videos... it's listed as a "private link" on you-tube, but should work.

Oh, and for reference, here's the main site: http://www.kwanmukan.us/

Run. Far. Fast.

EDIT: Okay, the video worked, so now I've seen it all the way through (couldn't quite bring myself to earlier), and something needs to be said.

If you go to about 6:30 you see a couple of adult black belts with swords. Now, this being a family site, there is no way I can adequately express what I am thinking as I watch that complete and utter embarrassment of anything claiming to be related to martial arts, and sword in particular. Absolutely nothing in it was close to swordsmanship, everything they did would get you killed immediately, they didn't even wear the damn things the right way up to begin with!!!! Based on that part alone, they are a lawsuit waiting to happen, and so lost in their own delusions that there really is no hope for them whatsoever.

I'm now going to emphasize the screaming as you run. Scream that others may also avoid them.

Last edited by a moderator:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go to about 6:30 you see a couple of adult black belts with swords. Now, this being a family site, there is no way I can adequately express what I am thinking as I watch that complete and utter embarrassment of anything claiming to be related to martial arts, and sword in particular. Absolutely nothing in it was close to swordsmanship, everything they did would get you killed immediately, they didn't even wear the damn things the right way up to begin with!!!! Based on that part alone, they are a lawsuit waiting to happen, and so lost in their own delusions that there really is no hope for them whatsoever.

OMFG!

I'm now going to emphasize the screaming as you run. Scream that others may also avoid them.

yup. :lol:

Oh, and for this:

Scream so that others may also avoid them

You owe me a monitor and a cup of coffee.....:lfao:

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score

I found the main website for this "Kwanmukan" thing (hmm, a mix of Chinese, maybe Korean maybe alternate Japanese pronunciations? Not a good sign already...), and the information was worrying to say the least... but then I decided to look over some of their videos. Including their demo team ones from 2011 (the most recent clips up).

Hell, half of it is badly done acrobatics or poorly done breakdancing!!! When it gets to the "martial arts", the less said the better. And the fact that it all seems to be kids (who wouldn't have a clue how bad what they're learning is) really concerns me.

Let's see if this works, actually. I'm going to try to embed one of the demo videos... it's listed as a "private link" on you-tube, but should work.

Oh, and for reference, here's the main site: http://www.kwanmukan.us/

Run. Far. Fast.

EDIT: Okay, the video worked, so now I've seen it all the way through (couldn't quite bring myself to earlier), and something needs to be said.

Oh yes, and as for the 'sword' work in the demonstration:

OH GOD MY EYES!

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok. Let's look for some positives. They do claim that the demo team trains basic gymnastics. As someone who competed at a reasonable level and taught gymnastics this demo would just squeak it at the lower end of the scale. However, some of them were rather little. They had some fun.

Now the sword. That was like something from the Pirates of Penzance! Obviously it wasn't meant to be Japanese. :)

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I could find; he is ranked a 7th Dan in Traditional Kudokan Judo under the USJJF. He is not listed on either the USJA or USJF website. From what I have seen, most people hold a higher rank under USJJF than they do do in USJA/USJF due to not having the competition requirement.

Not sure about the karate portion of the school.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to watch video (initially viewed this post from my mobile) and feel embarrassed that this guy is a member of the same org (USJJF) as me :(

All the other members I have seen from USJJF would not have conducted such a Mickey Mouse display of martial arts.