JKD

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well why ask then?
Just curious about which technique you are talking about. Sort of like asking someone what car type of car they drive, You pretty much know what all of them do, how they work. So you ask, what type a car do you drive out of curiosity and not because you want to actually buy the same car. Other questions may come out such as. How do you like that type of car? Or "oh I know that one, but not a fan of it because." or "Oh I know that one, that's one of my favorites because."

But that's just for future reference with other people as I have lost interest in actually knowing which deadly technique it is.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
So why are there no belts or sashes in JKD or Gung Fu? Not that it's important to me but just curious 🤔
I suppose you could consider each phase as a belt. In most FMA arts there are no belts. In Eskrido de Alcuizar there is no belt degrees until black (3-5 years). We thought of implementing belts as most folk like to think of themselves reaching short, med and long range goals. For the masses, I think belt systems actually help retain students.
There's more than one. I was shown how to paralyse with one technique
I was shown how to move my internal organs at will to avoid damage. This way I could counter virtually any paralyzing or death blows. Only real JKD people know of this…

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Also can you really learn from Bruce Lees book on JKD? Has anyone ever done this seriously??
The Tao of Jeet Kune Do is a pretty good book. Explains a lot of the core concepts of JKD, including various movements, training principles, fighting positions etc.
Whilst the whole take what works for you thing is true, Bruce Lee definitely had some preferences for certain movements and positions which he thought should be a key part of the system. Give them a go and see what you think, you can always discard them if you prefer something else.

Definitely helps to go in to the book already knowing a fair bit about MA though. And of course you need to practice this stuff with a partner, reading and hitting the air is never enough on its own.

super saiyan 4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I was thinking of trying this bruce lee stuff but is it really so deadly as Bruce lee was? Is there zn original style?
View attachment 28140
I teach jkd it's very effective but how much time you put in matters if you train 2 times a week you will not get what technique you seek truthfully jkd is more difficult than ppl realize. Either way there is nothing to lose by trying it out.

super saiyan 4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Tao of Jeet Kune Do is a pretty good book. Explains a lot of the core concepts of JKD, including various movements, training principles, fighting positions etc.
Whilst the whole take what works for you thing is true, Bruce Lee definitely had some preferences for certain movements and positions which he thought should be a key part of the system. Give them a go and see what you think, you can always discard them if you prefer something else.

Definitely helps to go in to the book already knowing a fair bit about MA though. And of course you need to practice this stuff with a partner, reading and hitting the air is never enough on its own.
It's possible

super saiyan 4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
nope not willing to put in that much work on my body. There are other things in life beyond my Kung Fu lol.

Because the class structure follows family structure.
Sifu = Father
Students = Oldest Brother / Sister, Older Brother / Sister, Younger Brother / Sister etc.

The respect that is given is based on who has been in the school the longest. My older brother may be good or horrible in Kung Fu, not of that matters because I have to respect the title and not the accomplishment. The problem with this structure is that a family can be dysfunctional. Just like some families fight over money, some students might fight for influence in the school.

In my case I was much better in the application of Kung Fu than my Older Brothers, but I still had to kind of hold my tongue when one of them would give an incorrect application of a technique. Normally it's no problem if the Older Brother doesn't mind being corrected. But there are some people who let it go to their heads and do not believe that a "younger brother can teach the older brother." Some people think the Older Brother knows everything.

In Asian cultures honorifics are used with anyone in the family older than you. It seems to work well for family structures but not for Martial Arts in western cultures where people let it go to their heads.
The belts system makes ppl believe they are better or worse than they really are. Also belts are a cash grab

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach jkd it's very effective but how much time you put in matters if you train 2 times a week you will not get what technique you seek truthfully jkd is more difficult than ppl realize. Either way there is nothing to lose by trying it out.
Except the money you give to someone who won't even discuss their training and experience...

super saiyan 4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Except the money you give to someone who won't even discuss their training and experience...
I've been doing jkd for 12years used to do mma/karate and other martial arts before that but you are right about the money

Latest Discussions