JKD

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I was thinking of trying this bruce lee stuff but is it really so deadly as Bruce lee was? Is there zn original style?
giphy-2.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The original style thing is very much up for debate. Whether or not the original would even be considered a style is up for debate-there's an idea that JKD should be made by training different arts and combining them for yourself, not mimicking the art that he created. Then there's an idea that Lee did the work for everyone else, and to just train his style.

As to getting as deadly as Bruce Lee; that depends too. Are you willing to put in the work for that?

For Bruce Lee, that meant spending his free time training, seeking out professionals in other arts to train with and test out his stuff, running like 5 miles a day on top of jumprope, weight training and supplements and all that jazz.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I was thinking of trying this bruce lee stuff but is it really so deadly as Bruce lee was? Is there zn original style?
View attachment 28140

That technique is not JKD, it's from Shaolin Tiger, with maybe some Southern Dragon flair.

When Bruce Lee wrote down his notes about Jeet Kune Do, he was well aware of the ferocity of Tiger and Dragon styles, but also how limitless their expression was. They became an important part of JKD because they are graceful, full body styles that illustrate the power of the human body. They're not static, robotic, or telegraphed. They are natural, powerful, human animal stuff.

Ever notice how he rarely called out any particular style as baggage? JKD was basically the point in his life at which he realized what he'd been taught all along. Rather than abandon kung fu, he chose to herald it. And we all benefited, even if we never touched Wing Chun or Jeet Kune Do.

Some people like to argue Lee created JKD out of thin air, but it's really just the same subjective personification of Jun Fan's style that occurs with any martial artist, once they've reached that final level (i.e., the Glow).

This exercise can be done both clockwise and counter clockwise.
1646431256516.png

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The original style thing is very much up for debate. Whether or not the original would even be considered a style is up for debate-there's an idea that JKD should be made by training different arts and combining them for yourself, not mimicking the art that he created. Then there's an idea that Lee did the work for everyone else, and to just train his style.

As to getting as deadly as Bruce Lee; that depends too. Are you willing to put in the work for that?

For Bruce Lee, that meant spending his free time training, seeking out professionals in other arts to train with and test out his stuff, running like 5 miles a day on top of jumprope, weight training and supplements and all that jazz.
It depends what you mean by JKD. If you mean the philosophy laid out in his book..which basically amounts to proto-mma (use what works for you, discard what doesn't, acquire skill from any source you can, keep your body in the best condition possible), then it's hard to not love that.

If you mean what JKD has crystalized into in the modern era, which is usually the same 'dry land swimming' he constantly spoke against, then your milage might vary.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe JKD has a complete set of basic training. Am I right, or am I wrong?
In DI’s school the were phases. 1st phase was all conditioning and basic boxing
I don't believe JKD has a complete set of basic training. Am I

I don't believe JKD has a complete set of basic training. Am I right, or am I wrong?

The Filipino Kali Academy in the early 80’s. I made it through 3rd phase. For one, JKD had a very distinct lesson plan and style. Beginning phase 1 was for conditioning and learning basic boxing, jun fan kicking, modified wc. Phase 2 we started putting it together with light sparing. Adding more advanced boxing, trapping, kicking. Phase 3 was more combative sparring and JKD concepts ABD, HIA, ABC, etc. Also Kali was introduced. We did basic kali for the last 15 or so of class. Phase 4 was by invitation. By the time one got to phase 4 you were considered advanced. 2 on 2, 4 on 4 sparring. Danny once had the whole class spar. He set it up, describing a bar scenario where a brawl breaks out and your on you own. Outrageous! From phase 4, students were invited into the JKD advance phase. All I can say is that these students were physically amazing. Watching a whole class of students doing led locks above their heads front side rear and back again was the coolest thing, reminding you of Lee’s scene in enter the dragon when he is in his room holding his leg above his head.
Hope this gives some insight.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
So why are there no belts or sashes in JKD or Gung Fu? Not that it's important to me but just curious 🤔

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Also can you really learn from Bruce Lees book on JKD? Has anyone ever done this seriously??

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So why are there no belts or sashes in JKD or Gung Fu? Not that it's important to me but just curious 🤔
Because why should there be? And because sometimes there are. Some schools use belts, others don't.
Also can you really learn from Bruce Lees book on JKD? Has anyone ever done this seriously??
No, you can't. Lots of people have tried, and it's pretty obvious that while books and videos can make excellent supplements to quality instruction, they are absolutely not a replacement.

There's a poster here who has posted about their efforts to train without an instructor. They've had a smattering of actual training sessions, but mostly read books and watch videos and attempt to learn that way. When they've had opportunities to spar with people who have trained in the usual way, the result is a pummeling.

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
Because why should there be? And because sometimes there are. Some schools use belts, others don't.

No, you can't. Lots of people have tried, and it's pretty obvious that while books and videos can make excellent supplements to quality instruction, they are absolutely not a replacement.

There's a poster here who has posted about their efforts to train without an instructor. They've had a smattering of actual training sessions, but mostly read books and watch videos and attempt to learn that way. When they've had opportunities to spar with people who have trained in the usual way, the result is a pummeling.
Yeah but I know some deadly techniques already so I'm just looking to put it all together if you understand me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
nope not willing to put in that much work on my body. There are other things in life beyond my Kung Fu lol.

o why are there no belts or sashes in JKD or Gung Fu? Not that it's important to me but just curious
Because the class structure follows family structure.
Sifu = Father
Students = Oldest Brother / Sister, Older Brother / Sister, Younger Brother / Sister etc.

The respect that is given is based on who has been in the school the longest. My older brother may be good or horrible in Kung Fu, not of that matters because I have to respect the title and not the accomplishment. The problem with this structure is that a family can be dysfunctional. Just like some families fight over money, some students might fight for influence in the school.

In my case I was much better in the application of Kung Fu than my Older Brothers, but I still had to kind of hold my tongue when one of them would give an incorrect application of a technique. Normally it's no problem if the Older Brother doesn't mind being corrected. But there are some people who let it go to their heads and do not believe that a "younger brother can teach the older brother." Some people think the Older Brother knows everything.

In Asian cultures honorifics are used with anyone in the family older than you. It seems to work well for family structures but not for Martial Arts in western cultures where people let it go to their heads.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung fu schools that adopt belts and color sashes, often do it because of marketing purposes. Everyone likes a belt. One person asked me how do I know who is better in the class. I told them that beginners do not move like advanced students. It can't be faked in kung fu systems. Beginners look like a total wreck when learning forms. To me it's like giving color belts to people who play musical instruments. How can you tell which one is better? Beginners will suck. Intermediates are ok, Advanced students will play so well that it will seem like it's impossible for the beginner student to make it to that point.

In terms of function and application. Beginner students fight with very few or no techniques from the students. Advanced students will do things that make you think it will be impossible to get to that point. At the beginning people tend to think that things are impossible because they are looking for a quick path to obtain that fighting ability and there just isn't any short path to it. Some students will have to travel a longer to reach the same goals.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
To learn JKD, find a teacher
JKD origin style, basically it starts with Wing Chun and then Bruce Lee added multiple things as he went along, fist Jun Fan and then it became to JKD.
Bruce Lee is considered the founder of JKD
Never heard any JKD teacher I trained with refer to any part of JKD as "deadly"

OP
SgtBarnes

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
what techniques do you know? describe them.
I can show you the deadly arts but will not describe these things on an open Internet forum.
I hope you understand also to learn these techniques you need to be trusted.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can show you the deadly arts but will not describe these things on an open Internet forum.
I hope you understand also to learn these techniques you need to be trusted.
I don't want to learn them. I was just curious what they were. punch to the back of the head, temple, kick, combo, kick to the groin, pressure point, bullet, knife. etc. I pretty much know them all. There's only a couple that people are able to get consistently.