JKD Question

OP
MFC__2020

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im sure fencing has lot of core foundational aspects of other fighting arts...
How often do you walk around with a fencing sword type of weapon?
Do you really want to be well versed in sword on sword fights? Do you walk around with mediveal weapons?
I dont walk around with swords nor have I ever seen a fencing type sword lying around because its very different than a large.

It just seems like an egotistical addition in attempt to checkmate Wing Chuns skillset.

Can you justify spending time on swords to most martial art students? Do you have students that walk around with swords and agree to fencing rules in their fights to the death?

Its lunacy to not cut out all of the additional sword fighting and to add in something more practical that you can walk around like a crash course MMA addition to Wing Chun.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you really want to be well versed in sword on sword fights? Do you walk around with mediveal weapons?
I dont walk around with swords nor have I ever seen a fencing type sword lying around because its very different than a large.

It just seems like an egotistical addition in attempt to checkmate Wing Chuns skillset.

Can you justify spending time on swords to most martial art students? Do you have students that walk around with swords and agree to fencing rules in their fights to the death?

Its lunacy to not cut out all of the additional sword fighting and to add in something more practical that you can walk around like a crash course MMA addition to Wing Chun.
I don’t walk around with weapons, but I do train sword, dao (saber), spear, staff. I enjoy it. I am sure that when the zombie apocalypse hits I will be in good shape for when the bullets run out. In the meantime, the practice of weapons is an excellent way of reinforcing the same principles used in empty-hand training. They are the same, and the weapon doesn’t let you cheat on your technique. So in that way, the practice of the weapons is an excellent enhancement for empty-hand training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't walk around with a sword, but there are several within arms reach at the moment.
Knowledge is good. Even if it's not something you use every day.
Besides, fighting with swords is just plain FUN.

IMG_0676.JPG

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How long have the Martial Police been around? As long as Martial Arts have been around, I guess.

May the Martial Police Force be with you. And may they stay the hell away from the rest of us who enjoy what we do.

The nerve of some people, liking swords, or liking MMA, or liking Wing Chung.

Call the damn PO-leece on these people!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I'll only say this once more and not respond on it again, since history in this thread shows you will not listen and are likely here only to start an argument/flame post.... there is no sword training in JKD. The fencing bit comes in with the foot work

now for the argument (flame) you seem to be trying to get going...you want room 12A, Just along the corridor.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How long have the Martial Police been around? As long as Martial Arts have been around, I guess.

May the Martial Police Force be with you. And may they stay the hell away from the rest of us who enjoy what we do.

The nerve of some people, liking swords, or liking MMA, or liking Wing Chung.

Call the damn PO-leece on these people!

But I know a police officer who was a rather proficient martial artist (Aikido/Uechi-Ryu Karate) and use to collect katanas and Samurai armor....however, as far as I know, he never wore the armor (or gi) on duty nor did he carry the katana :)

Note: He was also a trained sniper.....but never wore a ninja outfit either... even though if you didn't see him...you had to worry :D

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Wing Chun, Boxing, Fencing
Was there any other martial arts that influenced the ORIGINAL/Bruces, style of JKD?
BL's JKD was mostly VC, Boxing and Fencing. A bit of Judo and catch wrestling towards the end of his life as well.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
was it not called Gung Fu ? had Tai Boxing or was that later?
French savate

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gung fu is just Cantonese pronunciation of Kung Fu (Mandarin)
yeah but i believe he called it Gung fu before Jeet kune do. The "system" was different to jeet kune do. i have seen so many idiots say they teach "jeet kune do" with their ideas. most are just bullshitters. Only a couple i know were in LA with dan instananto.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
yeah but i believe he called it Gung fu before Jeet kune do. The "system" was different to jeet kune do. i have seen so many idiots say they teach "jeet kune do" with their ideas. most are just bullshitters. Only a couple i know were in LA with dan instananto.

He originally called it Jun Fan Gong Fu, before Jeet Kune Do, Because Bruce Lee's real name was Lee Jun-fan (李振藩) or in Western ordre Jun-Fan Lee

However the 2 are not exactly the same. Jun Fan came first and it is more like Jeet Kune Do on Steroids

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
He originally called it Jun Fan Gong Fu, before Jeet Kune Do, Because Bruce Lee's real name was Lee Jun-fan (李振藩) or in Western ordre Jun-Fan Lee

However the 2 are not exactly the same. Jun Fan came first and it is more like Jeet Kune Do on Steroids
but later he added more stuff to his system . was not like the first "system" he tought.a lot of guys teach whatever now.....yeah it´s like 3rd generation jeet kune do....really ? yeah dude i was tought by the wong sifu choy lee wong who was..emmmm tought by Bong sau Lee ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
but later he added more stuff to his system . was not like the first "system" he tought.a lot of guys teach whatever now.....yeah it´s like 3rd generation jeet kune do....really ? yeah dude i was tought by the wong sifu choy lee wong who was..emmmm tought by Bong sau Lee ;)

Yes he did add to Jun Fan to create JKD. But depending on what side of the JKD fence you train on, "what Bruce Lee taught" (Jerry Poteet), or "Bruce Lee concepts" (Dan Inosanto), it can be different. But if you train with Dan Inosanto you get what Bruce Lee taught before going into concepts.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes he did add to Jun Fan to create JKD. But depending on what side of the JKD fence you train on, "what Bruce Lee taught" (Jerry Poteet), or "Bruce Lee concepts" (Dan Inosanto), it can be different. But if you train with Dan Inosanto you get what Bruce Lee taught before going into concepts.
I will go with Dan... but end of the day we have two hands & feet
just a lot of people teaching BS out there.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris, in his early book, talks about showing Bruce Lee some kicking, in a hallway at a motel.

He also stated that he seen Bruce 6 months later and Bruce's kicking ability was better than his.

Now, I am not saying that Chuck taught Bruce, but this could be, at the least, a TSD connection.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Chuck Norris, in his early book, talks about showing Bruce Lee some kicking, in a hallway at a motel.

He also stated that he seen Bruce 6 months later and Bruce's kicking ability was better than his.

Now, I am not saying that Chuck taught Bruce, but this could be, at the least, a TSD connection.

I read the book ( I think it was The Secret Power Within), and in interviews, per Chuck Noris, he did not technically teach Bruce Lee, per se, but he sure did give him the idea. When they meant Bruce he was not kicking about the waist. Which is not surprising since Bruce Lee came form Wing Chun

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guro Dan has raised hundreds of jkd instructors.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jeet Kune do is one of the most frustrating topics to discuss online. So many people want to tell JKD players what the art us without ever having trained it. Sure, you can have an opinion, but why speculate on something if you haven't stepped in to a JKD Gym and empty your cup?
No, Bruce Lee did not study all of those arts. He watched videos of those systems and he exercised/sparred with people of many different disciplines. Just as many kids watch UFC and want to RNC someone. Does that mean they studied MMA? Nah. Just means we are aware of it and watch the respective fights to see common attacks and defenses.

Sifu Vu shared that list many years ago. Because Sifu Dan expanded his search after Sijo passed away.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But I know the Core of JFJKD is based simply on boxing, fencing footwork and interceptions, and some VC early on.

Did he add hapkido, judo, Catch as Catch Can after?
Absolutely.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally I think the addition of fencing is a giant mistake. Especially for modern times...who can walk around with a sword?
The finger jab is Western sword fencing without a sword and the primary target is your opponent's eyes. Tao of Jeet Kune Do pg 100. The idea of a stop hit comes from fencing.

Latest Discussions