Jidokwan Taekwondo?

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Jidokwan style of Taekwondo? If so fill me in please. I understand it was one of the original kwans but don’t really understand much after that. How does it differ from the main styles we usually see today?

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It started off as Yun Moo Kwan and was originally a judo school run by Kyung Suk Lee and later had karate introduced to its curriculum when Sang Sup Chun began to teach karate there. At the end of the korean war during the (second round) attempt to unify korean martial arts 2 representatives from Yun Moo Kwan joined the effort but rebranded as Ji Do Kwan out of respect from their master (I believe Chun just went missing during the Korean war). It was absorbed into the National TKD system (Kukki) but like all of the other kwans there are fringe groups that either 1. Never fully joined the unification 2. Joined but left 3. Joined but still taught the old way. Basically modern Jidokwan is no different than any other Kukkiwon school they just have their own lineage apart from the other kwans (that all inevitably lead back to Funakoshi). Some "old style" schools might still incorporate some karate and judo.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
It started off as Yun Moo Kwan and was originally a judo school run by Kyung Suk Lee and later had karate introduced to its curriculum when Sang Sup Chun began to teach karate there. At the end of the korean war during the (second round) attempt to unify korean martial arts 2 representatives from Yun Moo Kwan joined the effort but rebranded as Ji Do Kwan out of respect from their master (I believe Chun just went missing during the Korean war). It was absorbed into the National TKD system (Kukki) but like all of the other kwans there are fringe groups that either 1. Never fully joined the unification 2. Joined but left 3. Joined but still taught the old way. Basically modern Jidokwan is no different than any other Kukkiwon school they just have their own lineage apart from the other kwans (that all inevitably lead back to Funakoshi). Some "old style" schools might still incorporate some karate and judo.
Thanks so much for the in depth response. This clarified my question greatly.