jewelry in dojo

K

Kirk

Originally posted by GouRonin
I wear my wedding ring 24/7 and don't take it off for no one and no body. As a result I will admit that I have to get it re-shaped once in a while because it tends to flatten but I don't take it off.

Yeah, I used to know a guy with that attitude, back when I was
an R&D Electronics Tech. He agreed it was a bad idea when he
was in the hospital, getting his finger sewn back on after about
2 amps of current ran through it.

G

GouRonin

I saw a guy get his pants caught in a thresher. I guess we all better stop wearing clothes.

P

Pyros

Good.

I didn't think it was good. It was a guy who refused to remove his engage ring disregarding the dojo rules. During a wrestling match he somehow scratched the partner's face from behind and teared an eyelid. After that he tried to get away without paying damages as he said it wasn't his fault.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the only jewelry I wear in the studio is:

a tiny CBR ring in my upper left ear (cartiledge piercing) that takes pliers to remove and another person and a set of pliers to put back in. I've worn it for years and have never had an issue with it.

a body piercing or two that is covered by tight clothing and sometimes medical tape just in case, so it can't get caught or snag on anything. Again, had em for quite some time, and never had a problem, because i'm careful.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Pyros
I didn't think it was good.

This upsets me greatly.

It was a guy who refused to remove his engage ring disregarding the dojo rules. During a wrestling match he somehow scratched the partner's face from behind and teared an eyelid. After that he tried to get away without paying damages as he said it wasn't his fault.

It wasn't his fault. It was the fault of the guy who let him engage in the match knowing that he had the ring on.

I accept full responsibility when I step onto the floor. If the ring is a no-go then I am a no-show.

P

Pyros

It wasn't his fault. It was the fault of the guy who let him engage in the match knowing that he had the ring on.

He didn't notice it. We don't always remember to inspect everyone in our class we meet. When you're tired and sweating and you are told to again switch partners, you don't always remember to start thinking "now did this guy remember to follow the dojo rules? I'd better check it out before I start..." Usually the pace is quite fast anyway. And when everyone have signed in they are assumed to have also agreed to follow rules. At least many of us assume so.

I accept full responsibility when I step onto the floor. If the ring is a no-go then I am a no-show.

Well, accidents can happen even to suppreme grandmasters.

E

ekkaia

i had an earring pierced in the cartiledge ripped off during a piggy back race when i trained in judo. it was newly pierced which is why i didn't take it off, but in the end i had to let it close up anyway cause there was no way in hell i could get it back in place with all the swelling. nevertheless i pierced it again a few mths later, but it got infected by unrelated causes (i slept on it :S) lol. then i had the other ear pierced in the cartiledge too, but that also got infected cause i slept on it (damn sensitive ears), so now i don't have any piercings up the top. i do however have some in the lobes, but i don't wear sleepers (the hoop kind), so there's never been any problems. rings, watches and bracelets i take off, but the necklace stays on. there's been no problems with it because it stays hidden under the training shirts. some of my training partners leave their watches on but i have a tendency to rip if off during training, which ideally shouldn't distract them (imagine getting into a dangerous altercation and being flustered cause your watch came off!). i think jewellery can be excellent weapons, so even if they come off in class remember they have great uses as well ;)

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
my friend and I were at kempo class on monday night and we were doing self defense techniques. one of the guys grabbed her from behind in a bear hug around her waist. She's the one who got the belly ring.needless to say she felt it pull real good and had to stop and look at it to make sure she wasn't bleeding. I think jewelry is a big no no in the dojo.;) the schools should have rules and the people who wear jewelry should think.Hey can I injure myself or someone else.If someone wants to risk hurting themself that's one thing but if they can injure someone else, they should have to remove it. It's not a fashion show. it's a school.

KickChick

White Belt
Reaction score
All this talk about "chicks" wearing jewelry while training ...
Not this chick!
School rule .... no jewelry. Can cause injury to yourself and others.

One former student had so many piercings on her face/mouth that it would take close to 15 min. before class for her to remove all of them and when she didn't and it came time to sparring ... she'd be chinging ...changing, pinging, and tinkling her way across the floor :rofl:

yup ... a sidekick to the stomach with a belly ring is no fun. My friend had hers hung up on her hogu and then ripped out after a kick to the stomach!

I never wear the wedding rings to train... (only time that it is allowed ;) ) Wouldn't want to have any "rocks" pop out!:eek:

Here's another annoyance .... I have a few women in my cardio class that I teach that come in after they get their pedicure and fake nails .....trying to make a fist while putting on the boxing gloves. What if I break a nail???? I just show them my calloused hands & feet :shrug::

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rachel
my friend and I were at kempo class on monday night and we were doing self defense techniques. one of the guys grabbed her from behind in a bear hug around her waist. She's the one who got the belly ring.needless to say she felt it pull real good and had to stop and look at it to make sure she wasn't bleeding. I think jewelry is a big no no in the dojo.;) the schools should have rules and the people who wear jewelry should think.Hey can I injure myself or someone else.If someone wants to risk hurting themself that's one thing but if they can injure someone else, they should have to remove it. It's not a fashion show. it's a school.

tell her to either:

wear a tight tank top that covers the piercing under her gi. This will prevent it from snagging or anyone getting hold of it, because it will make it lie flat against the body (tell her to make sure she puts it towards the right one day, and left next, or the piercing will heal leaning to one side) The kind of tanks they wear for modern dance works great, and any dance shop will have them.

or

put a bandaid or piece of adhesive tape over the piercing for the same reasons.

the tank top is easier on the skin and better for the piercing, though.

P

Pyros

I protect my "jewels" with a groin guard, I don't want to risk anything.

* "Whad'ya mean, I don't understand English, eh?" *

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I protect my "jewels" with a groin guard, I don't want to risk anything.

* "Whad'ya mean, I don't understand English, eh?" *

You better hope your school doesn't implement a strict no jewelry rule!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

E

Elfan

I prefer that my partner takes off the jewlery they can, unfortunantly some stuff like belly button rings (what were they thinking?) can't be taken out easily. Its a real pain (pun intended) for them.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
removing a piercing once its COMPLETELY healed (usually 6-12 months for total healing) is fairly easy to do, provided its a piercing that's through normal skin, like navel, eyebrow, etc..., and the piercing will stay open for a few days without jewelry. You just have to put something slippery, like lotion or vaseline on the jewelry before you try to put it back in. labret (lower lip), nose, and tongue tend to close quickly if the jewelry is removed even after its healed, though.

if you're really paranoid with something like a navel pierce, an eyebrow or something, you can run the clear elastic jewelry beading string through it and tie it in a small loop so it is snug against the skin, but not tight. You can get this line at a craft store like michaels, the bigger the gauge, the better in this case (only comes in up to about 18 gauge, and the average piercing is 12 or 14 gauge). DO NOT USE FISHING LINE. Its coarse and can cut you if its pulled. (think of a cheese slicer here...ouch!). The jewelry line will simply stretch. I do this if I'm going to be on a long airplane flight and don't want to set off the metal detectors. Works well if you know you have to have x-rays too.

K

Kiz Bell

Originally posted by Elfan
I prefer that my partner takes off the jewlery they can, unfortunantly some stuff like belly button rings (what were they thinking?) can't be taken out easily. Its a real pain (pun intended) for them.

A friend of mine has a ring in a very private and very sensitive spot. Even though she's had it for quite a few years, because of it's positioning it's very hard for her to remove and replace, so she leaves it in permanently. She once had a very painful accident with it on her pushbike once, so it's not just martial artists that suffer "freindly fire" from their jewellery.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472
I do this if I'm going to be on a long airplane flight and don't want to set off the metal detectors.

Do you not have to go through metal detectors if you're going on
a short flight? :D

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Kiz Bell
A friend of mine has a ring in a very private and very sensitive spot. Even though she's had it for quite a few years, because of it's positioning it's very hard for her to remove and replace, so she leaves it in permanently. She once had a very painful accident with it on her pushbike once, so it's not just martial artists that suffer "freindly fire" from their jewellery.

If it's the private sensitive spot I'm thinking of, a groin cup will
protect it.

Latest Discussions