Agency says war vet's bout broke law as technology and martial arts converge

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-politics/not-going-down-without-a-fight-on-his-662045.html
Last fall, Jorge De Leon, who wears a prosthesis on his lower right leg, entered a ring surrounded by chain-link fence on the Fort Sam Houston army post in San Antonio. Sporting thick, flesh-colored padding on his artificial limb, he proceeded to get pummeled.
The cage fight, put on by the Texas Amateur Mixed Martial Arts Association, was over in about a minute.
"The guy's reach was incredible," De Leon recalled admiringly. "He kneed me in the ribs. That hurt. Then he knocked me out with a punch. It was great."
"He got a black eye," confirmed Chip Thornsburg, who as president of the association promoted the fight. "He looked cool."
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation didn't think so. Two weeks after the fight, it filed an official complaint against the association. A month later, it cited Thornsburg for violating the Combative Sports Law and proposed a $5,500 fine.
The official crime was that De Leon had broken a rule prohibiting fighters from wearing "metal, straps, buckles, necklaces, jewelry or other objects (including piercings) that may cause injury to either fighter." "The leg would fall under 'other object,' " explained Susan Stanford, a spokeswoman for the agency.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That leg is basically a weapon and is dangerous to the other fighter. He shouldn't have been in there IMO. Looking at the picture I can say that I am quite sure I would not want that leg getting swung at my head.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do feel exceptions should be made for people such as this. As long as he is not stomping on people with metal limbs, it should be OK. I can see it being allowed one day provided there is sufficiant padding.
Sean

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see it being allowed one day provided there is sufficiant padding.
Sean

I can't, this is a full contact sport where people use there limbs as weapons to try and hurt one another, and in doing so have to be careful so as not to injure those limbs.

Someone with a artificial leg will never feel pain in that leg, can't have leg locks applied to it and will (I assume) have less mobility and speed because of it.

It would be impossible to make the fight "fair", and when guys are putting there bodies on the line that is very important.

The rules in combat sports are very detailed and very specific when it comes to what you can and can't have on you. If they can dictate that you can only have x feet of tape, and that the tape may only cover certain parts of the hand they certainly aren't going to let you go in with a steel hand, no matter how padded it is.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
It says in the article he wore flesh colored padding. So I am assuming he wore protective gear over the metal.

It isnt fair on both sides. One, no one can apply a knee bar, leg lock, on him, but he loses one leg for kicking (its padded up) and could be less mobile then a person with both legs (depends on the device I am sure).

I wont see nothing wrong with mma for handicap people, with full protection on any metal parts though.

Its weird how the rules can apply to the future when cybernetic enhancements can become a reality.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree with the past 2 posts. A competition for the differently abled would be interesting to see and empowering to people who want to compete, but can't. Rule's would likely be difficult to come up with though.

I wonder how that guy with the leg got past the administration anyway. Don't doctors inspect you to make sure you can fight in the first place?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It does smack of discrimination. These days I can see handi capped fighters increasing in number; so, a organization may form.
sean

Latest Discussions