It's Time To Listen To The Children

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Little Soldier Girl "Didn't Want to Let Go"

Four-year old Paige didn't want to say goodbye to her daddy before he was shipped off to Iraq

By VINCE LATTANZIO

(full story) http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Girl-Didnt-Want-to-Let-Go-63629627.html?yhp=1

Updated 11:17 PM EDT, Wed, Oct 7, 2009

Little Soldier Girl "Didn't Want to Let Go"

Four-year old Paige didn't want to say goodbye to her daddy before he was shipped off to Iraq

By VINCE LATTANZIO

Updated 11:17 PM EDT, Wed, Oct 7, 2009

moz-screenshot.jpg
Little+Soldier+Girl+-+Paige+in+Formation.jpg

Abby Bennethum

A family photo that shows a little girl beside her father and his fellow soldiers in uniform as they prepare to go to war has resonated well beyond the tight knit Bennethum clan.
Four-year-old Paige Bennethum really, really didn't want her daddy to go to Iraq.
So much so, that when Army Reservist Staff Sgt. Brett Bennethum lined up in formation at his deployment this July, she couldn't let go.
No one had the heart to pull her away.

little-girl-dad.jpg
little-girl-dad-mom.jpg

But that doesn't change her feelings.
"I just miss my dad right now," she says.

<snip>

The picture took on a life of its own online this week. Abby says that suddenly, people were knocking on her door. "Literally overnight, there's all these people that just want to do anything they can," she says. Though she says her husband hasn't seen any stories about his family yet, he expects to.
Debated with myself to put this in the study where it would probably get more discussion but decided out here would be best... mainly as food for thought.
This innocent young girl knowing her Daddy may or may not return home on this trip to some far away land (in her mind) where she hears the terms "War, Terrorist, Soldiers Killed" and so forth just didn't want to say goodbye.
But then again maybe it's just as simple as not wanting to say goodbye to her Daddy because simply, to her... he's going away for a long time.

The photograph moved me as it did countless others when seeing it for the first time.

Little Paige, I hope you get your child heart's wish that Daddy returns home soon. :asian:

Last edited:

Latest Discussions