Always be prepared even when you're not ready.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wasn't wholly shure where to put this sooo...
This e-mail is from a friend of mine that I used to go caving with and trained in Search & Rescue which included first responder emergency first aid.
It had been years since he had any follow up training but what training he DID have obviously stuck with him. Kudos to him :asian:

Just yesterday (Sunday Dec 17), I was at the park with my children and my love. We just couldn't find a spot that seemed acceptable, so we kept moving until finally there was a great little spot near a play ground the kids could play on and we could sit and read or what not.....

There I was reading and watching the bikes going by down the hill a little from us. There were a lot of those four wheeled bike you know that hold like 6-8 people. Well, you guessed it, there was an accident, 6 girls in a four wheeled bike decided to travel down the hill and turn right. they were not going slow. the bike rolled and one particular girl, Jessica, fell out and was rolled over. The roll placed a hole in her head between the eye socket and her temple, she ended up with two compound fractures on her right arm, and right little finger. But Most importantly she complained of her neck hurting the most.

I saw all this from about forty yards and decided it may be bad, everyone around was really hysterical. AS I approached I asked, "Who here has a cell phone?" Four young girls looked up at me like deer stuck in the head lights of a car. I noticed one was texting a pointed to her saying you call 911 right now. Then I went to the girl who seemed to me the one hurt, but at that time I didn't know. She was trying to stand up and her friends were helping her, and giving her water.

My first response was clear, get her down on her back and hold her still. I walked right up and said lets get her down to the ground. She resisted that and wanted to stand, but promptly then lost consciousness. Her friend was there holding her semi upright and with her help we got jessica down to the ground and I then began applying a bandage, (Nothing more than a bandana the other girl had been holding, not perfect it was all we had at the time.) As I held her there she regained consciousness, and asked why am I here and on the ground and began to cry. She wanted to get up, which I said no lets just relaxed and you can tell me you name. She couldn't, and then lost consciousness again, at that point I was able to do a more thorough evaluation of her injuries which seemed to be confined to the one I mentioned before. But my biggest issue was that she was losing consciousness and every time she came to complained about her neck hurting, and once mentioned her arm, I was certain she had seriously hurt if not broken her neck. The hole in the side of her head had for the most part stopped bleeding at this point. after about twenty minutes the fireman arrived he got a few thing and then relieved me from my awkward position I was in.

With the EMTs putting Jessica into the ambulance and heading off to the hospital, I was thankful to all the time I had spent with Ralph Powers, Rodney Mulder, Duane McCully, Rob Cranney, Brad Moss, David Shurtz, And all the Cave Search & Rescue team. It proved to save her life, for if I had not been there, right there and right then. I am certain she would not have regained consciousness, or may have been injured for life. Of course she may be because I simply went back to my spot on the hill sat down and reflected. This was my first time, being alone on a scene. There was no one around that had any idea of what to do.

Thanks, I will always be eternally grateful for these experiences, and grateful for you and all the other people I have been involved with as a caver.

Your Eternal Brother, by Choice.

Brandon Larson

KeeblerElf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Definitly kudos to him! He did a great thing and really helped that girl out. I think its great that there are good samaritains out there who will help and not just sit around and stare.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitly kudos to him! He did a great thing and really helped that girl out. I think its great that there are good samaritains out there who will help and not just sit around and stare.

Not as many as there should be..Yes, kudos to him...

thats a great story, thank you for sharing it with us!

Ditto...We need these kind of stories, we hear enough of the bad ones..

Latest Discussions