It's gotta happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that Rich Parsons should be there to teach...representing the Flint group, or FMAC. With Master Power (head of FMAC) having been one of Professors private students in the 70's and having kept his relationship up with the old man through the 90's, Flint is an important part of the Modern Arnis 'hidden history.' Rich is a good representation of the club.

Just didn't want to see him left out as a possability...

:supcool:

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if anybody was so weak and self-centered as to validate those concerns, let'em go. Their directives are obviously not in line with any sort of brotherhood. Organization, coming together, rebuilding, it's all a process.

I would be willing to bet that as more and more of these events happen, more and more players will come out to support, so as not to be left behind or alone. Maybe I'm wrong...who's to say. We can't predict the future. Nonetheless, you're the man for even having entertained the idea.

IMHO.

Thanks.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Amen to that, Paul. You and Rich Curren made some really important points on "showcasing" the art. Bring what you have, people shouldn't mimic the Professor and chant his name as a mantra when they have nothing real to contribute to the art. Show how you've made it your own.

TK

Tim,

Wow! You and I disagree on something for once. I'm marking this date on my calendar. Rich and Paul did do a fine job in showcasing how they made the art their own. No disagreement there. For me, a 2nd Symposium would consist of the senior students of Remy Presas, preferably long term first generation students or high rankers (as opposed to high rollers - that has nothing to do with anything in this thread. The term just popped into my head.) Neither Rich nor Paul are high rankers under RP. That's all.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - For those of you who are wincing, Rich, Paul and I are in good communication and I know they will not read anything diabolical, underhanded, or double meaning into what I just posted. We cool.

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Flatlander,
Reservations:
1. If he attended, could everybody work with Jeff Delaney?
2. Would anybody commit and then later pull out?
3. If there were no cash for anybody, would they still teach/show up?
4. Would there be squabbles regarding who goes on when (1st, 2nd, 3rd,
etc.)?
5. Would I get support in promoting this event or would everybody sit on
their hands and wait to see what happened
6. Would I get demands like "If (insert name here) is on the bill, I'm not
going to show up. It's your call."?
7. Or, "Unless (insert name here) is on the bill, I'm not going to show up. It's
your call."

As much as I liked the first Symposium, it ran up against a number of difficulties that I would rather not have at the second one.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Hi Dan

You ask the right questions.

I´d like to see it happen, supported by all groups.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Flatlander,
Reservations:
1. If he attended, could everybody work with Jeff Delaney?
2. Would anybody commit and then later pull out?
3. If there were no cash for anybody, would they still teach/show up?
4. Would there be squabbles regarding who goes on when (1st, 2nd, 3rd,
etc.)?
5. Would I get support in promoting this event or would everybody sit on
their hands and wait to see what happened
6. Would I get demands like "If (insert name here) is on the bill, I'm not
going to show up. It's your call."?
7. Or, "Unless (insert name here) is on the bill, I'm not going to show up. It's
your call."

As much as I liked the first Symposium, it ran up against a number of difficulties that I would rather not have at the second one.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

I'll help...

1. I could "work with" anyone, and when it comes down to it, I think everyone can. Even if one would prefer not too.

2. I am sure some people will...however, don't let that hurt your credability. If someone tells you a month in advance that they have pulled out, make sure you say that is the case. If someone simply "no shows," then that is their credability...they'll be known as a "no show-er." Hopefully people will show.

3. I wouldn't count on it. People don't value things if they aren't getting paid. Plus...People should get paid something...period. I may stick to commitments and my word regardless of money...but I don't expect others to do the same.

4. Yes there will be. Never underestimate the ability for people to be stupid.

5. I would support you any way I can, Dan.

6. I am sure people will do that. Hopefully, most won't...

7. Same as #6.

Your going to run into the same difficulties as the last one. The difference will be in how you handle them as a host...

:ultracool

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Tim,

Wow! You and I disagree on something for once. I'm marking this date on my calendar. Rich and Paul did do a fine job in showcasing how they made the art their own. No disagreement there. For me, a 2nd Symposium would consist of the senior students of Remy Presas, preferably long term first generation students or high rankers (as opposed to high rollers - that has nothing to do with anything in this thread. The term just popped into my head.) Neither Rich nor Paul are high rankers under RP. That's all.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - For those of you who are wincing, Rich, Paul and I are in good communication and I know they will not read anything diabolical, underhanded, or double meaning into what I just posted. We cool.

Just to be sure...you are talking about Rich Curren and Paul Martin, correct, and NOT Rich Parsons and Paul Janulis?

It's weird when we share names... ;)

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tim Kashino was referring to Rich Curren and Paul Martin. Both of these guys did great presentations. You and Rich Parsons did so as well. As I wrote TK, I wanted the seniors of Modern Arnis to line the bill and if Sympo #2 suffered from sameness, then I screwed up.

Personally, I've seen the majority of them teach and sameness isn't going to be any kind of problem.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - I'm off to Canada for a Bram seminar. Unless I get online somewhere, I'll be quiet for a couple of days. I'll tell Bram hello for all of you.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
For me, a 2nd Symposium would consist of the senior students of Remy Presas, preferably long term first generation students or high rankers

To bad this wasn't done during the first one.

E

Emptyglass

Dan Anderson said:

Indeed. What he said.

Thanks for the kind words Dan. Your presentation (especially the bit on entering an opponent's zone of control) at the 2003 Symposium taught me some incredibly useful lessons.

All the best,

Rich Curren

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Tim,

Yours,
Dan Anderson

I can see your reasoning, Dan; no argument here.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Bring what you have, people shouldn't mimic the Professor and chant his name as a mantra when they have nothing real to contribute to the art. Show how you've made it your own.

TK
Great point!

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What follows in bold was posted as a comment on my rep board:

Hard to pay for a transatlantic plane flight without it. Not all suck at the teet of unca slam.

Not that the reputation feature matters to me; its the ignorant and cowardly method of message delivery that is irritating, like a bothersome insect. When the coward posted this has the stones and expertise to do what I do day in and day out, then and only then can he make credible opinions about making a living and earning wages through military service.

Come to Catania, you worm. I'll pick you up at the airport, and you can come see how your military suckles at Liberty's bossom. I would be more than happy to give you the privelage to walk a mile in the boots of any of my troops. Come and see, if you think that you can hang with them. Maybe I can even set up a seminar... no, maybe not, you'd be too tired after trying to keep up with us.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, sounds like someone's got issues. Sorry for even bringing the subject up. I guess the 'brotherhood' ain't ready yet. Sorry to waste everyone's time with this.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's funny.....Tim K's right.

Money isn't everything. You would hope that those involved in such things would do it for the love of the art, the comradere, the celebration.

Unfortunately, hotels, car/train/plane/bus fare, food, etc all cost money.
Not all of the seniors are wealthy enough to eat a couple hundred to a couple thousand bucks. Facilities cost money, so does insurance, advertising, etc.

So, the question of getting paid is a good one, especially if the event is going to charge admission. I've been to enough seminars, conventions, etc to know, you gotta charge to get in, and you gotta pay the talent and the rent.

My 2cents.

(Which adjusted for inflation, is worth about as much as the paper its printed on.)

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Well, sounds like someone's got issues. Sorry for even bringing the subject up. I guess the 'brotherhood' ain't ready yet. Sorry to waste everyone's time with this.

You're not wasting anybody's time. If they din't have time to kill, then they would be fooling around on the internet. I'm all for "brotherhood", but every now and then one of our brothers needs to be checked.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guys

Before the thread gets off subject remember what this is about, a 2nd gathering of senior Modern Arnis instructors. For some people out here we will take the chance that everyone will show and travel the distance to get the chance to train with these people. Let's not screw things up rehashing the crap that went on last year, otherwise why would SM Dan even bother with it.

Dan, if Jeff Delaney is asked and he comes to the gathering/event what ever that wouldn't have any negative impact on me coming. Jeff has taught me some good stuff over the years, if the MOTTS come all the better, Dr. Shea, Rocky, Bram, Remy Jr, Dr. Matias, Datus Dieter, Worden and Hartman, several of these guys would be great.

No offense (to the presenters at the Symposium) but when I traveled to the SYMPOSIUM last year I had hoped to see some of the guys who dropped out. I'll be glad to spend the bucks to come out there to see the senior players, but if you can't get some of the older/senior students.

In fact if it was a three day event, it would be better. More time on the floor to spend with the presenters. Go for it Dan you have my vote.

FWIW at the very least the presenters should get travel and hotel expenses picked up. I understand that it would probably shoot the expeneses way over the top if the presenters requested their usual seminar fees, bringing in serveal presenters is cost prohibitive enough with all of the airfare, hotels etc. etc. I hope you can pull it off.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions