ITF practitioners

A

artful dodger

Guest
I'm just curious as to how many ITF practitioners there are floating around this forum. I do ITF in NZ.

Desiree.
 
The organisation I'm with is affiliated to Great Britain ITF which is ITFC.
 
I was in the ITF through the USTF, which has now broken away from ITF-Vienna/ITF-North Korea, which I think is the best thing they could have done.


:asian:
 
I used to be in the ITF before I switched to kenpo karate. 6 yrs. of training there. I still though however practice the forms on occassion for variety and not really wanting to forget them.
 
I used to be in the ITF before I switched to kenpo karate.

That's what I did. I made it to black belt, which took some work back then, but wanted to learn to use my hands better. I had watched some kenpo people at some local tournaments and was hooked on it. The way they used their hands and were able to work so well on the inside was so cool.

I do still practice all the forms which is up to Ge-Baek just because I don't want to forget them and I help teach them once in a while at my buddy's school.

:asian:
 
Our dojang is affiliated with WTF, but we still focus on the more traditional Hyungs for form training (Do you call the forms "Tul" in ITF maybe? My teacher just says Hyung,,,).
We do olympic type sparring w/pads though, not the point system being used in ITF.
 
Originally posted by Kong

Our dojang is affiliated with WTF, but we still focus on the more traditional Hyungs for form training (Do you call the forms "Tul" in ITF maybe? My teacher just says Hyung,,,).
We do olympic type sparring w/pads though, not the point system being used in ITF.

we do call them hyung...btw, do you know why your instructor still uses them while in the wtf?? from what i have heard, the wtf developed the tae-guk set to get away from the shotokan influence evident in the chon-ji patterns...maybe you can ask about it.

jb
 
"We do olympic type sparring w/pads though, not the point system being used in ITF."

That sounds odd, what do you mean by that, you guys aren't doing freestyle point sparring? Last time I watched the olympics, each hit was scored as a point.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
 
Originally posted by Klondike93


I do still practice all the forms which is up to Ge-Baek just because I don't want to forget them and I help teach them once in a while at my buddy's school.
:asian:


Cool, At the moment this caught me during lunch. I can't remember but I was thinking Ge-Baek was form 12 or 13? I had Chong-Ji through Po-Eun. Anyway that's as high as I got. :)
 
Originally posted by Klondike93

I was in the ITF through the USTF, which has now broken away from ITF-Vienna/ITF-North Korea, which I think is the best thing they could have done.


:asian:

Hi Klondike,
Just curious; why do you think it was the best thing they could have done? And how big is the USTF now?

T.K
Desiree
 
Originally posted by Klondike93

Ge-Baek is the next pattern after Po-Eun

I did learn a couple of others, just not "officially".

:asian:


Yeah, wasn't Ge-Baek #12, I think the last of the third black forms. At least in our class anyway. Also wasn't there some weird angles in Ge-Baek? I'm remembering something Po-Eun moved side to side, Ge-Baek moved forward and backward with some different angles in the middle of the form? Rats, I just can't remember exactly.:confused:
 
Well at the time I was still active they were the only ones representing the ITF in the US. Now there are at least two others trying to represent the ITF's.

All these groups tend to splinter the study of TKD, it starts to become to political to put with (at least for me). Now that the General has passed and the true plan is out that a North Korean is to assume control of the ITF, I just think it's good that the USTF gets out of it. They seem to have some damage control of their own to deal with and should attend to that with out the NK distraction.

:asian:
 
Originally posted by jfarnsworth

Yeah, wasn't Ge-Baek #12, I think the last of the third black forms. At least in our class anyway. Also wasn't there some weird angles in Ge-Baek? I'm remembering something Po-Eun moved side to side, Ge-Baek moved forward and backward with some different angles in the middle of the form? Rats, I just can't remember exactly.:confused:

Yes, Po-Eun goes right to left and Ge-Baek is from 12 to 6 with a slight "X" deviation for good measure. It's a cool form, I used to use it in local tournaments.

When I was going through the ranks, the 1st Dan patterns required to get 2nd Dan were, Kwang-Gae, Po-Eun and Ge-Baek. I don't know if this is still true or not though.

:asian:
 
That sounds odd, what do you mean by that, you guys aren't doing freestyle point sparring? Last time I watched the olympics, each hit was scored as a point.
I`m sorry if I was unclear, I just meant to say we do WTF style, full contact sparring. I believe in ITF you practise semi contact, with gloves and no vests? I`m sorry if I`m mistaken.
 

Latest Discussions

Back
Top