ITF patterns

A

artful dodger

Just thought I'd start a new thread for ITF patterns questions.

I have a question about height of kicks in patterns. If the pattern requires the kick to be mid section, which I understand to be between your stomach button and shoulders, does this mean that your kick should reach your own mid section height. Someone said it should be your opponents but from what I understand, your opponent in patterns is a mirror image of yourself anyway. And should this be the height of you when you are standing upright or your shoulder etc. height when you are executing the kick(i.e) the height is a bit lower?

Tae Kwon
Desiree

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by artful dodger

Just thought I'd start a new thread for ITF patterns questions.

I have a question about height of kicks in patterns. If the pattern requires the kick to be mid section, which I understand to be between your stomach button and shoulders, does this mean that your kick should reach your own mid section height. Someone said it should be your opponents but from what I understand, your opponent in patterns is a mirror image of yourself anyway. And should this be the height of you when you are standing upright or your shoulder etc. height when you are executing the kick(i.e) the height is a bit lower?

Tae Kwon
Desiree

We train as if our opponent is the same height, in the same stance. That is how I have always interpreted TKD patterns. But, your instructor may interpret it slightly differently.

hope this helps,
jb

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you go by the book and it says "mid-section", it's about your solar plexus height if the attacker was standing there. If you watch about 85% of TKD'ers when it says mid-section they kick to the head, and high means at least 7 feet up :D

:asian:

OP
K

Kong

If you watch about 85% of TKD'ers when it says mid-section they kick to the head, and high means at least 7 feet up
For some reason, this annoys the hell out of me,,,:rolleyes:
Alot of application is lost or becomes meaningless when you just go for the sky everytime there`s a kick in the form!

OP
T

TkdWarrior

Originally posted by Klondike93

. If you watch about 85% of TKD'ers when it says mid-section they kick to the head, and high means at least 7 feet up :D
lol hahaha... that's why TKD got just too much abused ;)
yup mid sectoin as klondike defined...
-TkdWarrior-

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you kick higher than you are supposed to at the world championships you just made a mistake and lost.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

artful dodger

Damian,

So if you were doing a middle side kick in a pattern at the world champs, where would you kick to within that section? and would you lose if you kicked to your shoulder height as theoretically that is still mid section, right?

T.K
Desiree

OP
B

Bagatha

No, I have seen tapes of world champions performing their patterns and their side kicks were abnormally high.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a guy totally outdo his opponents in patterns at the world champs and lose because he was kicking head level when the pattern called for mid level. I'll try to get his name.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

artful dodger

I guess it depends on the judges and it changes by the year with trends then.

Desiree

celtic bhoy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mid-section should mean anywhere around someone of similar heights torso. If someone is firing kicks towards the ceiling then they are probably just being exhibitionists proving they can kick high.

You do what it says in the book.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well when I was training for my black belt back in the 80's, mid-section was defined as the area around your solar plexus.
High was the area around your chin/mouth area. So this is what I go by when teach a TKD pattern or test someone on one.

While I have never been to a world championship I had been told just what Damian said. If it's a mid-section kick you better kick mid-section or your losing.

OP
B

Bagatha

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Maybe, how long you been training? Was this recently that you saw that?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

I think the tapes were around 4 or 5 years old. If it was a trend I am happy that "correctness" is being judged over flash. Perhaps it depends on the host country ??

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who knows, but the correct way is to penalise showboaters as they are changing the pattern from its original form. High kicks look good but it's the same as doing a high punch in a pattern where the punch is supposed to be shoulder height, it's just plain the wrong movement.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

artful dodger

But what I want to know is, is shoulder height considered the wrong height for a mid section kick, as I thought mid section means anywhere between your stomach button and shouders?

OP
B

Bagatha

Originally posted by artful dodger

But what I want to know is, is shoulder height considered the wrong height for a mid section kick, as I thought mid section means anywhere between your stomach button and shouders?

As far as I know, that is correct.

OP
A

artful dodger

In that case, if I kick shoulder height as opposed to stomach button height ( assuming the technique of each kick is equally the same) would I get more points for the higher kick, as they are both within the "legal" range?

Desiree

OP
B

Bagatha

No, not height. Its only like a foot(ish) anyway. But if the kick had better technique or something.. like full chamber before and after, brought in front before execution, using the proper part of the foot... There are many factors, but as long as it is a mid section technique, within those boundries. Why did someone beat you because they kicked higher?

OP
A

artful dodger

No. They'd be more likely to beat me because I kicked too high . I'm just interested in how they judge at the world champs and in the details of patterns. And I was finding the more I discussed this with people , there didn't seem to be a concensus.
Thanks for your answers.

Desiree

Latest Discussions