ITF patterns: "E" versions ?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This question is posted to the taekwondo subreddit, but I thought somebody here might know the answer.

A student is being told that his school will be practicing the "E" versions of the ITF patterns. So for example, instead of practicing Chon-Ji, they will be practicing Chon-Ji-E.

For example, here's a link to the "E" version of Toi-Gye. Toi Gye E - Streamable

Has anybody here encountered these "E" versions before?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anybody here encountered these "E" versions before?

I've never heard of them (which isn't saying much really), but it looks like they could be interesting.

Unfortunately, and at the risk of being blunt, it appears as if the person in the video hasn't heard of them either...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of them

Maybe the "E" is silent......
ae5d319eb4fde50b.png

PSMA

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok I've seen multiple version of patterns, but this is like something I've seen from an ITF offshot group that changed the sequences to look different but still have familiar sections in each pattern. What group is this guy from?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since little if anything remains of what the Chief architect wanted the pattern to be it's a shame to even use the name or claim it's "a version".

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I couldn't get the video to play, but when I've seen a form referred to by a letter, like an "I" form or an "H" form, it referred to the shape of the form, the path your feet made as you did the form. I wonder if that's the same here? Some variant of the form that made an "E" or "ㅌ" shape on the ground?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I couldn't get the video to play, but when I've seen a form referred to by a letter, like an "I" form or an "H" form, it referred to the shape of the form, the path your feet made as you did the form. I wonder if that's the same here? Some variant of the form that made an "E" or "ㅌ" shape on the ground?

Not in this case, it's nothing like that shape.

Plus, the OP made it sound like these "E" variations exist for each pattern, so each would transcribe a different shape anyway.

77Wolfpack

White Belt
Reaction score
Any variation of the forms kinda disrupts it. The general was very specific on everything from how i understand. To change the shape would take away from the meaning. Toi-Gye's shape represents scholar, the straight line of Gea-Baek for that general's strict and severe military discipline. I could go on, but i think we get the point.

Latest Discussions