It feels good to be back.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As of last week, both my wife and I were two weeks out from our 2nd covid shot, and I felt ready to get back to regular training. Over the last 7 days I’ve done:
6 hours BJJ
5 hours HEMA (longsword and dussack via Joachim Meyer)
2 hours archery
1 hour Capoeira
... so an average of two hours per day every day.

I’m pleasantly surprised that I’m not as tired and sore as I expected. (I am sore, just not as sore as I feared I’d be.) I guess I maintained a little more fitness than I had thought.

Next week I hope to add a bit of MMA and Sumo to the mix. I’d like to fit in some Muay Thai as well, but I’m not sure I can find room in the schedule.

Anyone else just getting back into their normal training routine?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be two weeks out a week before my expected (new) wedding date. Not going to start that week due to the soreness you mentioned, then hawaii for two weeks, so should be back to training come mid-June. Can't wait!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, just before Christmas my wife got Covid. Was totally bed-ridden for several days. And like an idiot I didn't isolate myself. But somehow stayed OK. Now we've also received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine, first my wife and then me ...I had the second one back in March. So yeah, my training is getting back on track. I just get annoyed with all the anti-vaccine people I run into ...even in the martial arts. If we really want to get back to anything like before, people need to get the vaccine.

Yeah I know, people have a right to make their own choices. I just hate it when other peoples stupid choices negatively affect the rest of us.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As of last week, both my wife and I were two weeks out from our 2nd covid shot, and I felt ready to get back to regular training. Over the last 7 days I’ve done:
6 hours BJJ
5 hours HEMA (longsword and dussack via Joachim Meyer)
2 hours archery
1 hour Capoeira
... so an average of two hours per day every day.

I’m pleasantly surprised that I’m not as tired and sore as I expected. (I am sore, just not as sore as I feared I’d be.) I guess I maintained a little more fitness than I had thought.

Next week I hope to add a bit of MMA and Sumo to the mix. I’d like to fit in some Muay Thai as well, but I’m not sure I can find room in the schedule.

Anyone else just getting back into their normal training routine?
Not yet but it has nothing to do with Covid.
It will be a down year for me with back to back knee replacement.
I was back in the gym/weight room before the first one and will get back soon.
They delay is from a full length leg brace my doctor put me in so I would quit bending my knee too much to let the incision properly close. The knee joint is doing/feeling great. Both knees have been bad for so long I had forgotten what ‘normal’ felt like.
Of course I will be in the Dojang working in the background.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got the second Moderna dose last weekend. Hoping to get back to my Sifu’s place to train again, although I’ve been training quite actively on my own this whole time. I am also working now on putting together a local training group. I will mandate that all participants show proof of full vaccination, and will hold sessions outside in a local park.

Now if we can just sneak by without some new mutant variant that renders the vaccines ineffective. The British variant that is now dominant in the US is hitting kids harder than the previous variants, so we are not yet out of the woods. Please keep masking up, everyone.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess I spoke too soon on the “not being as sore as expected“ front. It all caught up with me overnight. I’m feeling thoroughly achey and arthritic.

Still going to class today though.
"Caught up with me overnight" that sounds familiar. Let me know how day 2 feels. ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not yet but it has nothing to do with Covid.
It will be a down year for me with back to back knee replacement.
I was back in the gym/weight room before the first one and will get back soon.
They delay is from a full length leg brace my doctor put me in so I would quit bending my knee too much to let the incision properly close. The knee joint is doing/feeling great. Both knees have been bad for so long I had forgotten what ‘normal’ felt like.
Of course I will be in the Dojang working in the background.
Just remember to heal first and then train. If you are going to be out for a year then make the most of it by healing .

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am also working now on putting together a local training group. I will mandate that all participants show proof of full vaccination, and will hold sessions outside in a local park.
I like hearing this from you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I'm in the last phase of rehab after being out in October 2020, that resulted in shoulder, back, rib, organ, muscle and hip injuries. My hip still bothers me. but each month it gets better. Everything else seems to be recovering fine. I'm doing Tai Chi to help with the recovery. At this point my hip is the biggest concern. It will just take time.

I will start teaching this month. I already have had people approach me with interest about what I was doing (when I train). I think it's going to be a good year for me and team that I'm working with.

Oh I also got my first Covid vaccination last month and will be getting my 2nd shot sometime this month.

Last edited:
OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Caught up with me overnight" that sounds familiar. Let me know how day 2 feels. ;)
Well, technically today is day 8 of being back to daily training. I felt the sore muscles earlier in the week, but now my joints are joining the complaint choir. I’m probably just going to be abusing the naproxen for a little while until my body adjusts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, technically today is day 8 of being back to daily training. I felt the sore muscles earlier in the week, but now my joints are joining the complaint choir. I’m probably just going to be abusing the naproxen for a little while until my body adjusts.
I wonder if massage therapist are going to make ton of money once the Covid -19 is under better control. I'm sure we aren't the only ones feeling rusty. Could be an opportunity for massage therapist and maker of massage equipment.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was vaccinated the first day the shots became available. Because someone in the ER who is taking chemo was considered to be "high risk" for some reason. And because anti-vax is the stooopid.
It's good to see things starting to safely reopen.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
....And because anti-vax is the stooopid.
I temporarily lost my health insurance last weekend do to what the company later said was a "software glitch". I found out when I tried to pick up my prescriptions. Hours on the phone resolved nothing. Fortunately, by Monday it was discovered that thousands, if not all the employees where I work were affected ...and there's strength in numbers. So very soon, my policy was re-instated. Phew!

Anyway, as was resolving this issue on Monday, I was talking to the health insurance contact for my employer, ...a really nice, helpful lady and we were going over my kids coverage too. In passing, she mentioned that she had a 17 year old son. Now that was the day that the CDC opened up the COVID vaccines for everybody, nation-wide, 16 and older.

So, I shared that both my kids were getting appointments to be vaccinated and asked her if she had taken that step yet. "Oh no!" she replied, "My boy plays baseball. I can't risk him having his arm affected by the vaccine. I just don't think it's safe!"

She was very nice and being helpful, so I just said, "Oh." ...but I was thinking WTF!!!!!! This is COVID we're talking about and you are worried about your son having a sore arm and it affecting his game ...for a few days?!? Oh well....

I suppose if you do try to pitch at 100% right after being vaccinated, when your arm is affected, you could injure your arm, and hurt your game, and lose that sports scholarship, and...

Or you could "play is safe" and skip the vaccine and get really really sick, or asymptomatically carry spread the disease around, infect a bunch of your teammates, family and friends, and......

You know as a coach myself (in martial arts) I would think that talking it over with his coach, arranging to have the kid vaccinated, then take a few days off to recover, and then take a few more days to gradually work back up to his full game ...would be so much wiser ....for him, for the team, for everybody. But what do I know. So I kept quiet. :confused:

Did get my health insurance situation fixed though. :)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions