Isshin Ryu

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes spending a much longer time in the intermediate phase and finally advanced phase with a lot of "correction" (were needed) makes much more sense.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the student I know is a child. The info I got was from the parents. They watch their child train all the time.
Could a kids class be run differently than an adult focused session?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are the standards for kids promote the same as adults? Is the kids' curriculum the same as adults?

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
They pay full attention to everything. They are almost obsessive.

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
Could a kids class be run differently than an adult focused session?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Same material for adults and children. In this club, kids train with kids and adults train with adults.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Same material for adults and children. In this club, kids train with kids and adults train with adults.

That's unusual. Not saying it's right or wrong, good or bad, etc. Also I'm not sure if that's an Isshin Ryu thing or just their dojo thing.

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
Says who? Them? You really shouldn't believe everything you're told without hesitation
They make videos of their son's lessons, so he can practice with them. I also saw the belts when he received them.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am considering training with an Isshin Ryu club near were I live. It is a husband and wife business. From a student in the class, I have learned that within the first 8 months of training, a student reaches their 4th belt; they get promoted very quickly. There are no exam days. When a student is "ready" for a promotion, time is set aside during class for a small test. The 4th belt test which for them is blue consists of answering questions and doing one kata. By the third belt they are considered intermediate level students.

I took shotokan and the time between each belt was much longer. Are promotions quick with Isshin Ryu? I am considering joining this club.

It is difficult to answer your question. Isshin Ryu is not a hierarchical system with a set of standards and a single set of rules at the top, like some types of martial arts are.

There are several major branches in the USA, more branches in other parts of the world, and plenty of 'stand alone' non-affiliated Isshin Ryu dojos. I am not qualified and will not attempt to say what is right and wrong with regard to any Isshin Ryu system or dojo's method or timing of promotions; it just would not be appropriate.

I am a life member of the UIKA and I am a 2nd degree black belt under a well-regarded and known instructor. In our dojo - and I am ONLY speaking of our dojo - promotions are based on various criteria. In some cases, the criteria is adjusted to the student, at the discretion of our head instructor.

We do not have testing that is as formal as some other schools, true. We do not charge testing fees and the only belt fee is for the actual cost of a new belt if the belt color changes (kids get stripes in between color belt changes, there is no charge for that).

For adults, the 'typical' promotion period from white to black belt would average about 5 years, at my guess. I could be wrong, but that seems about right. Kids do not get black belt, brown is as high as they go until they are 18, with very few exceptions. We do not have junior black belts, a black belt is a black belt.

Our adult belts are white, orange, green, blue, and three degrees of brown. One might generally (very generally, nothing carved in stone) to advance to brown belt within two or three years. Then they are brown belts for a very long time.

We consider green belts as intermediate, and brown belts as advanced.

I hope you find this helpful. Again, this applies only to my own experience in a UIKA-affiliated dojo and I would not consider it valid for any other Isshin Ryu school or even for a UIKA school if they have different criteria for promotions.

One last thought is that promotions are not really all that relevant in the long run. One either can or cannot do karate well. Belts hold up pants. There are certainly schools that offer guaranteed promotions with signed and paid contracts, and if one wishes, one can buy a black belt promotion online from a variety of sources. I would posit that they transfer no ability along with the title, but different people want different things, I suppose.

OP
V

VeniceBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
Bill Mattocks, thank you very much for sharing your experience with Isshinryu. That was very informative and interesting. I have decided to not train with them. They have raised there prices, and right now I can't afford it.

Out of curiosity, why is it that black belts are not given to children in your dojo? Is it because of maturity?

Thank you very much for your reply.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Mattocks, thank you very much for sharing your experience with Isshinryu. That was very informative and interesting. I have decided to not train with them. They have raised there prices, and right now I can't afford it.

Out of curiosity, why is it that black belts are not given to children in your dojo? Is it because of maturity?

Thank you very much for your reply.

I don't really know. I just know we don't promote kids to BB rank in our dojo. If they stick around long enough, they'll get there.

Latest Discussions