One Year as a Karateka

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just realized that I've been a student of Isshin-Ryu for one year.

In one year, lots has happened to me.

I've contracted diabetes and sarcoidosis. The diabetes is under control and the sarcoidosis requires no treatment, it will cure itself they say.

I've lost 50 pounds (in two months, as a side-effect symptom of the diabetes before it was diagnosed and treated).

I've joined a health club and started running again (three miles a day on the treadmill, takes me about 45 minutes. OK, I'm old and slow).

I have progressed from white belt to orange belt and learned three katas (Sanchin, Seisan, and most of Seuichin).

I have made friends who feel like family, who care about me and miss me if I am not in the dojo, people I see and socialize with outside of the dojo, and I even am trying to find a house within driving distance of the dojo so I don't have to change if I move.

I've discovered MT and made friends here.

I've got a long way to go, but I'm in no hurry. It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Semper Fidelis, Namaste, and Domo Arigato!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's cool to hear how karate has woven its way into your journey. Some people really dis the practice of doing a martial art for personal growth, but I think that it's not only possible to possible to grow into a better person, it's inevitable. Even the Bubishi is explicit about this. The martial artists of old knew that what you were doing would change who you were.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's cool to hear how karate has woven its way into your journey. Some people really dis the practice of doing a martial art for personal growth, but I think that it's not only possible to possible to grow into a better person, it's inevitable. Even the Bubishi is explicit about this. The martial artists of old knew that what you were doing would change who you were.

I missed a variety of opportunities when I was younger. My sensei shakes his head with wonder that I managed to avoid martial arts training for so long.

In the Marines, I was stationed on Okinawa as an MP and worked with Angi Uezu, who was a Japanese security guard on my base, and the son-in-law and heir of Isshin-Ryu's founder, Master Shimabuku. I learned a few take-downs from him, but did not take formal training in what was probably the premier dojo for Marines at the time anywhere in the world.

When I lived in Omaha, I missed the chance to train at Master Harrill's dojo in Council Bluffs, Iowa, just across the river. He was perhaps the best Isshin-Ryu 'bunkai' man in the world. I knew of his dojo and just chose not to train.

I studied Wado in Lakewood Colorado for a few months and quit back in the early 1980's. My sensei was Sadaharu Kurobane and could have taught me a great deal had I chosen to remain with it. When I quit, he even called me on the phone and begged me to return. I turned him down. How stupid of me.

It is only now, in my 48th year of life, that I am aware of what karate means to me and what impact it has on my life. Not just self-defense, but my internal compass. It informs and is informed by my sense of morality, ethics, and civic obligation. I am now 'ready' to be a karate-ka, with a humble mind and spirit, training internally and externally; hopefully for life. I wish I had possessed that spirit as a youth.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score

I've contracted diabetes and sarcoidosis. The diabetes is under control and the sarcoidosis requires no treatment, it will cure itself they say.

I've lost 50 pounds (in two months, as a side-effect symptom of the diabetes before it was diagnosed and treated).

I've joined a health club and started running again (three miles a day on the treadmill, takes me about 45 minutes. OK, I'm old and slow).

I have progressed from white belt to orange belt and learned three katas (Sanchin, Seisan, and most of Seuichin).

I have made friends who feel like family, who care about me and miss me if I am not in the dojo, people I see and socialize with outside of the dojo, and I even am trying to find a house within driving distance of the dojo so I don't have to change if I move.

I've discovered MT and made friends here.

I've got a long way to go, but I'm in no hurry. It's not the destination, it's the journey.

bill your the man ! and a great example for many people ...

i got a friend thats always sick always feeling weak gets the flu 2 or 3 times a year and when he does hes out of it for like 2 weeks at a time he doesnt work he stays home with his kids and attends to them , and im always telling him its the way you live bro - stay away from mcdonalds arbys etc etc etc go all nat u ral switch to veggies and fruits get some good home cooked meals up in you and start working out stop being lazy , im always telling him to go to a garage sale and get your self a cheap threadmill and kick it off the rewards enormous ... and all i get is i know i know i am i am - and still nothing hes about to be 40 but acts like hes 50 - im like dude 40 is the new 30 you should try yoga tai chi come one man im always trying to pump him up - whos knows i might turn into his personal instructor even at least one day a week !

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeez, Bill, at the rate of getting two new diseases per each belt.... you sure you're going to make it? :eek:

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeez, Bill, at the rate of getting two new diseases per each belt.... you sure you're going to make it? :eek:

Ya know, I didn't start getting sick until I started to get healthy.

I was a fat, out-of-shape, smoker and healthy as a horse.

Quit smoking six years ago.

Started walking, then joined the dojo.

Joined the gym and started running.

THEN I got sick.

What's up with that?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dunno, but with that 50 pound weight loss, I'm thinking you should start a marketing campaign......"Wild Bill's Diabetes Diet" or some such.... endorsed by Chuck Norris and Ashida Kim......

You could make a lot of money.... and so could I....

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score

THEN I got sick.

What's up with that?

That's just not right!

A lot happened in this past year, so let's hope for a less eventful year next year! :p Well, unless you win the lottery - I wish that event for you!

MA has done so much for my life and I can't imagine life without it, so I'm very pleased to see that you have reconnected with Karate, and discovered how much it means to you. :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

THEN I got sick.

What's up with that?

Your alive. It's possible that without your new healthy lifestyle, you would have caught something a little more fatal. Maybe your new lifestyle made the difference between just getting sick and dying? You never know...

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dunno, but with that 50 pound weight loss, I'm thinking you should start a marketing campaign......"Wild Bill's Diabetes Diet" or some such.... endorsed by Chuck Norris and Ashida Kim......

You could make a lot of money.... and so could I....

Trust me, you don't want to lose weight the way I did.

First, it was cool. I thought I was losing weight because of all the exercise I was doing. About a pound a week.

Then it went to a pound a day. That's a big weight loss for anyone.

Then I started having unquenchable thirst and having to urinate every 30 minutes - day and night. I could not get a good night's sleep, having to get up every 30 minutes. Try it sometime!

The weight loss accelerated to 2 pounds a day. Then I made an appointment with the doctor.

The weight loss (and symptoms) stopped two days after I started taking the Metformin he prescribed. Thank goodness. Yes, I needed to lose weight, and 50 pounds is a lot. And I'm capitalizing on that by not putting the weight back on again. But geez louise, you do not want to lose weight that fast or that way. Very bad.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, congratulations for making it 1 year. Most people give up especially when they have health conditions. Hopefully you'll be around for a long time my friend.

Once you break the first year hurddle the rest is easy. ( well easier anyway) Good luck to you in the rest of your journey and your lifestyle!

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

THEN I got sick.

What's up with that?

You were probably sick before (diabetes, in particular, tends to "lurk"), but too unaware of your body to notice it. Now that you are learning to listen to your body, you detect symptoms that were previously hidden.

Since starting karate (almost 4 years ago!) I've become much more aware of how my body is working, and I'm learning to manage my diet and activity in ways that keep me healthier. I suspect you will, too.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations Bill!
icon14.gif

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
that was me 9 yrs ago lost 42 pounds urinated about 30 times night no sleep got diagnosed and then got shingles man talk about pain i started to work out again and go to the gym remember keep up with it diabetes is progressive what worked this year may not work the next year i now am on my 2nd diabetes medicine and things are better im runing 12-15 miles a week take kajukembo 2x week and try to supplement my meals with synth-6 protein powder takes great mixes well and sugar is really under control keep up the hard effort sir, also you getting sick is your body saying it did like the workouts you were putting it through 30 years of abusing the body and exercise actually hurts your body for the first few months then your body starts to accept it----tom

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that was me 9 yrs ago lost 42 pounds urinated about 30 times night no sleep got diagnosed and then got shingles man talk about pain i started to work out again and go to the gym remember keep up with it diabetes is progressive what worked this year may not work the next year i now am on my 2nd diabetes medicine and things are better im runing 12-15 miles a week take kajukembo 2x week and try to supplement my meals with synth-6 protein powder takes great mixes well and sugar is really under control keep up the hard effort sir, also you getting sick is your body saying it did like the workouts you were putting it through 30 years of abusing the body and exercise actually hurts your body for the first few months then your body starts to accept it----tom

Thanks for the info, good to know others have been through it too, but I'm sorry you have had those experiences too! Fortunately, I have not had shingles. So far, I'm on 500mg Metformin 2x a day, BG is about 99-110. A1C is 7.3, but aiming for under 6.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
im on 1000 mg of metaformin an 2 tablets glyburide sugar range between 72-125 need A1C pretty soon keep choppin at it it will get done!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'd be careful about this, I have a friend who has this and it has affected him big time. From what he tells me it mimics other diseases and has settled into his organs, he's got it in his lymph nodes, heart, lungs etc. etc. It has messed him all up. However I've heard of other people who have it and don't have similar problems.

Latest Discussions