isit ok for an adults and kids to wear their gi and Belt at the store

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you haven't done enough training until your clothes are drenched in so much sweat that people think you've been playing in the sprinklers
Amen to that, my friends and my family several times asked that question or they asked whether there was raining outside...

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm still wondering why anyone gives a crap what other people wear, particularly if those other people aren't part of your school.

Doesn't everyone have enough on their plate just taking care of themselves that they gotta dictate whether someone they've never met can or can't "wear their kerrotty uniform?" What are we, politicians?

Give it a rest. If women can wear pants-suits, men can wear dresses, old people can wear their pajamas to Wal-Mart, and we can all go pee in whatever bathroom we want, then no one gives a fat fiddler's fart if anyone wears gi pants or full on ninjer cammo, and they certainly don't care whether or not you think they meet your standards of training based on sweatiness. :rolleyes:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Give it a rest. If women can wear pants-suits, men can wear dresses, old people can wear their pajamas to Wal-Mart, and we can all go pee in whatever bathroom we want, then no one gives a fat fiddler's fart if anyone wears gi pants or full on ninjer cammo, and they certainly don't care whether or not you think they meet your standards of training based on sweatiness. :rolleyes:
How come only old people can wear their pajamas to Wal-Mart? What about the rest of us?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How come only old people can wear their pajamas to Wal-Mart? What about the rest of us?
Well, teenage girls used to do it all the time, but I think they stopped when they saw their moms following their lead and they all collectively went, "eeew!"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still wondering why anyone gives a crap what other people wear, particularly if those other people aren't part of your school.

Doesn't everyone have enough on their plate just taking care of themselves that they gotta dictate whether someone they've never met can or can't "wear their kerrotty uniform?" What are we, politicians?

You have very valid point there. The OPs question was about gi but many of us wear hakama. So how about wearing that out? Fine in Japan but in other countries people look at you like you are a cross dresser:hilarious::hilarious:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, wearing short sleeve shirts with a tie and/or wearing shirts and ties without a coat is a bigger Faux Paux.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, wearing short sleeve shirts with a tie and/or wearing shirts and ties without a coat is a bigger Faux Paux.

Lol, I guess you have not spent much time in Japan. Wearing long sleeves in temperatures in summer around 40c is a bit much. Short sleeves a tie and no jacket is a standard businessman uniform.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have very valid point there. The OPs question was about gi but many of us wear hakama. So how about wearing that out? Fine in Japan but in other countries people look at you like you are a cross dresser:hilarious::hilarious:
How about a crotchless leather mini-hakama? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol, I guess you have not spent much time in Japan. Wearing long sleeves in temperatures in summer around 40c is a bit much. Short sleeves a tie and no jacket is a standard businessman uniform.

That's fine.....For the most part just kidding around. I just don't like that look.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's fine.....For the most part just kidding around. I just don't like that look.

At least it's not sandals with socks... The only people that can pull that off are the Japanese from 1000 years ago.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So wearing your gi to your wedding?

images

How about a casual belt you can wear all the time.

images

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Japanese culture is systematic in most ways. They have a set dress code. Everything you wear is a specific uniform. Jeans and a polo shirt is a casual uniform. Shorts are for home and beach. No one would be seen dead in town/city wearing shorts. They change from long sleeves to short on specific days of the year. 'Everybody' changes. Suits for businessmen. Pajamas are sleeping uniform. No uncommon to see people come out of a hospital in pajamas to go grab a snack from 7/11.

Sandals? Sandals come from teachers/lecturers etc. wearing waraji (Japanese straw sandals). They now wear western sandals and you "should" wear them as part of you uniform.

In schools uniforms are of set length and style to the centimeter. They even have to dye hair that is not black such as premature greyness.

Some people all wear the same uniform within a group that creates equality within the group. But..... if a person of high rank walks in the door even without a belt. they are instantly recognizable by the way they bow and impeccable dress. This is further shown by the way they perform and practice.They don't need a belt. That is why older arts don't have belts. You are what you are and show it.

Anyone that actually ventures out in the West wearing Japanese clothes, they should bear that in mind its a uniform. No more, no less

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Japanese culture is systematic in most ways. They have a set dress code. Everything you wear is a specific uniform. Jeans and a polo shirt is a casual uniform. Shorts are for home and beach. No one would be seen dead in town/city wearing shorts. They change from long sleeves to short on specific days of the year. 'Everybody' changes. Suits for businessmen. Pajamas are sleeping uniform. No uncommon to see people come out of a hospital in pajamas to go grab a snack from 7/11.

Sandals? Sandals come from teachers/lecturers etc. wearing waraji (Japanese straw sandals). They now wear western sandals and you "should" wear them as part of you uniform.

In schools uniforms are of set length and style to the centimeter. They even have to dye hair that is not black such as premature greyness.

Some people all wear the same uniform within a group that creates equality within the group. But..... if a person of high rank walks in the door even without a belt. they are instantly recognizable by the way they bow and impeccable dress. This is further shown by the way they perform and practice.They don't need a belt. That is why older arts don't have belts. You are what you are and show it.

Anyone that actually ventures out in the West wearing Japanese clothes, they should bear that in mind its a uniform. No more, no less
That’s very interesting. I’m sure I don’t quite understand, but it seems the value of uniforms and your conclusion that this is why they don’t need belts is contradictory. Intuitively, i would have thought the opposite.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That’s very interesting. I’m sure I don’t quite understand, but it seems the value of uniforms and your conclusion that this is why they don’t need belts is contradictory. Intuitively, i would have thought the opposite.

They key in Japan is community uniformity. You are judges on your performance and abilty, not what you wear
The belt system has been Westernized. This really weird assumption that a belt belt is an expert or instructor.

Never once in Japan have I seen a coloured belt. Then again if I went to kiddies judo club I might have seen some. Budo in Japan is like little league. By the time they get to school they already have qualified beginners belt.

The man that invented the belt system worked for Japanese education (Monbusho) trying to internationalize what he did as a sport-like activity.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
lol who are you to tell people what to wear and what not to wear? Didn't it ever cross your mind that the person wearing the gi might be going home after classes?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol who are you to tell people what to wear and what not to wear? Didn't it ever cross your mind that the person wearing the gi might be going home after classes?
Hi. Welcome to the discussion. I encourage you to go back and read over the thread.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What if they were not going to or coming from class?

Just out shopping.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Just out shopping.
What if they're wearing it just become it is comfortable? I know one woman who continued to wear her gi pants as pajama pants, well after she quit training.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What if they were doing laundry and their karate uniforms were the only thing clean?

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Then that is something that is very... unique. Most people wouldn't wear a gi when they were going to/from class. But either way, we shouldn't confront people for wearing what they want to wear, everyone's different and it's there choice for wearing what they want to wear :)

Just out shopping.

Latest Discussions