Is Your Sensi A Midget

I'm 6'2", 200+ pounds. My instructor is female and probably 5'2" or 5'3". She can't weigh more that 130 pounds.

My previous instructor was much larger than I am. My current instructor emphasize good technique and it works for her. She is proof that our self defense techniques really work.

He's "vertically challenged" but I wouldnt say that to his face. He'd have to get on a chair for that.... :)

(running for the door).

My sifu is about 5'9, but he's "compact" as someone put it. He would appear stocky to the average person, but he's solid. From his back to his chest measures over a foot, I'd swear, but he's incredible. Not super tall, but then again, it doesn't seem like he needs to be ;o

My instructor is relatively tall, he's 6'2". Very strong. Most of the male black belts in my club seem to be of a similar build. I'm a lot smaller, 5'6" and about average build...

I guess all the short people tend to use that to there advantage in MA.

The other day i was sparring my Sensei and I tried to pick him up, I was all like "he's smaller than me, i'm higher oon the food chain, GET IN MY BELLY" no but all joking a side i tried to pick him up, it felt like he weighed 300 lb and he is about 5'3'' but muscle does weigh more than fat

stating the obvious here, but no one has said it yet.

I think there are less 6 ft+ masters than smaller heights just because there are less 6ft+ people in the world in general

How about a different angle on this discussion... do you find certain techniques work better/worse against taller/shorter opponents? I'm about 6'3 and I workout with a guy who is about 5'4. Certain throws have been difficult for him because of the size difference and I've had to seriously modify some throws to get them to work properly on him. The guy does have a quickness edge on me and is very agile...

mrhnau said:
How about a different angle on this discussion... do you find certain techniques work better/worse against taller/shorter opponents? I'm about 6'3 and I workout with a guy who is about 5'4. Certain throws have been difficult for him because of the size difference and I've had to seriously modify some throws to get them to work properly on him. The guy does have a quickness edge on me and is very agile...

For the previous discussion, my instructor is 6' even I belive.
But yes (in regard to throws) some by design work on people of certain height compared to yours and may take extra effort to execute when faced with that situation. But as long as you can adapt, you'll be fine.

I have had several teachers, I am currently taller than all of them and they are all more skilled than I in their chosen art. And all but one was from East Asia.

My first teacher (JiuJitsu) is from America, was 5'10" and the tallest. However at the time he was taller than me.

My current teacher (Yang Tai Chi) is probably the shortest, I have studied with him the longest and he is probably about 5'6"

Wow, this is one of the first posts I ever made on Martial Talk, I'm glad to see some people still posting and reading up on it.

Hey Sin, when there is an interesting subject, people will post.
But anyway, the tallest MA intructor I've seen was 6'6 or 6'7, but thats the tallest I've seen.

The short answer would be...no, just average height for their culture and region (the majority).

Most of the older sensi are on the tiny size but in statue they are bigger than life.

the average hieght in America in the seventies was 5'8" tall the average hieght now adays is 6'1" so by today standard I'm short, not a midget but differently short.
Terry

Sin said:
It seems like all MASTERS in a MA are all extreamly short...well at least under 6 ft......Let me know your Sensi is short like mine or not.

Dude, im only 5,FT 6, and my sensi is smaller than me, by alot... oh yeah, was Bruce Lee short?

Yeah, I'm sure Bruce Lee was rather short as well...Maybe not the shortest asian guy...but still compared to a adverage American Male...he was short.

Grandmaster Bao (second in charge of the style) is about 5 inches taller then me. I'm about six foot. His brother, Quihn who is head of the style, is a few inches shorter then him. There brother Ahn is a little taller then me and there sister Thu is just barelly shorter then me. My Sensei is probably the same height as Master Bao. Masters Bao & Quihn & Senseis Ahn & Thu are all pure blooded Veitnamese. My Sensei is half Filipino.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Latest Discussions

Back