Is Your Sensi A Midget

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems like all MASTERS in a MA are all extreamly short...well at least under 6 ft......Let me know your Sensi is short like mine or not.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No!

I find your definition of short interesting. Under 6'. The average male in the united states is 5'9". Most of us are suddenly short.

Jeff

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Feisty Mouse said:
I like the term "compact, with explosive energy".

:boing2:

Very well put.......... :uhyeah:

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sifu is under 6', I would guess about 5'9". However where I am currently training the sifu there is about 6'2. For those of you in Kenpo I currently train with Mr. Liles in Sacramento, and those of you who know him, know that he is a big guy (and can hit really really really hard).

C

Chicago Green Dragon

One of the Greatest Martial Artists of our time:

Morihei Ueshiba had become famous as "O Sensei" or "The Grand Teacher," the Master of Aikido

Standing at just under five feet tall.

Chicago Green Dragon

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There do seem to be quite a few instructors that are under 6 feet........my first instructor was about 5'7", but all the rest, including my current instructor have been just about at or above 6 feet. I train with a guy that is an instructor (though I don't consider him my instructor) who is about 5'8".

:asian: :karate:

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
My very first instructor, The Little Black Pajama-ed One is very very short (-sighted, -minded, and vertically challenged) - about 5'7"

TKD instructor - 6'1" and 5'5", with the latter the decidedly more lethal one.

Bag class instructor (and Choi LeFut sifus) - 5'6" and 5'7"

Kenpo instructor (sifu) - average height, about 5'10"

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
It seems like all MASTERS in a MA are all extreamly short...well at least under 6 ft.......

Where do you come from - "land of the Giants"... :)

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructor is probably 5'7".

But he seems to be getting shorter as he gets higher in rank%think%

S

sifu nick

My sifu is about 5-8 and hits like he's at least twice that size.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
dubljay said:
My sifu is under 6', I would guess about 5'9". However where I am currently training the sifu there is about 6'2. For those of you in Kenpo I currently train with Mr. Liles in Sacramento, and those of you who know him, know that he is a big guy (and can hit really really really hard).
Mr. Liles is a good man. I had the pleasure to meet him once. He looks bigger than 6'2" in real life and hits more like he's 6'8". :)

Jeff

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
It seems like all MASTERS in a MA are all extreamly short...well at least under 6 ft......Let me know your Sensi is short like mine or not.

Ok, I fail to see your point. I'm like between 5'6"-7" so what is that you are asking? I know that I'm shorter than most guys but what does that mean? What the **** are trying to say? Let me know, here. Are you trying to say shorter people can't teach, fight, do martial arts? :idunno: Help me out here.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm 5'9" my father was 6'5" and my mother 4'8" my second Master was 5'10" and we have all been quite good if you ask me. I agree with fransworth what is your point!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, hey, take it easy when you're yelling "What's your point?" Nowhere did he say height is related to skill.

I think his point is to see what is the average height of instructors. It seemed to him a lot of them are 'short'. He probably would have got his point across better if he was able to create a poll that way. It would be interesting to see how tall instructors are when compared to the "average population". His question brought up another one in my mind, "Do men under 6' (his definition of short) tend to gravitate to the martial arts?"

I am assuming he is referring to male instructors. The majority of female instructors would definitely be under 6'.

Anyway, as far as my male instructors go with my previous dojos, I believe my very first one was about 5'9. My second and third were taller than 6'. My fourth was close to 6' (probably around 5'10" or 5'11"). I haven't seen them for a while, so my memories may be fuzzy there. I don't make it a habit to etch in my mind how tall they are.

At my current dojo, there are four male instructors who regularly teach. Three are average (ranging from 5'10' to 6'2"). Only one is 5'7". I like him a lot because he teaches how to compensate for height when working against tall attackers (extremely important for us female students).

- Ceicei

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I can say i do remember having a few tall female instructors a few times.
By tall i mean over 6' tall. I have also have shorter then 6' too.

I dont think size ever even came into play with skill. They were all skilled whether they were under 6' or not, male or female.

Chicago Green Dragon

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
Could this also be an "Oriental" thing common to most folks of an age and ethnicity (Japanese, Chinese, Korean for the common sources of Martial arts in USA) and not just the MA practitioners who would commonly be considered "Masters" and that the Euro types that would be able to pick up the art easiest, in general, would have a similiar body make up?

I think TKD breaks that mold some though because I have trained with a lot of the 'tree' types that seem to do well with the leg emphasis in the art and progressed to a "Master" class of skill.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
Not that it makes hill of beans difference but no... he's not.

Is that a hinderance of some kind for you??

Sensei has an "e" in it BTW...

T

ThatWasAKick

Mine is 5'10" but he looks like a giant because I'm 5' 0" and under 100 pounds.

Hey, I should change my sig to "I fight giants."
Hmmm. Maybe not. I feel more like running than fighting when we meet in the ring.

*Note to DUBLJ... out of curiosity...as something to consider in the future when I begin to cross-train more...in what area of Sac is your Sifu located?