Is your CMA your exclusive art?

sjansen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with training other styles as long as your base style is ingrained in you well enough, so as not to hinder your growth by training other styles before you really understand the main principles of your style.
Otherwise you may find yourself fighting the 2 steps forward, 1 step back with all of your training.

I totaly agree

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tai chi 3 years, and I recently started training in choy lay fut, but I practiced karate for 12 years.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All my arts are CMA and "bird derivatives." That means Ying Jow Pai eagle claw, Nine Bird Wudan Shaolin, and Ba Mei southern white crane, with Yang style tai chi thrown in. I have learned these from 3 very different and diverse teachers! ( One is Chinese and now older, one is black but grew up training from age 3-15 in Hong Kong and is fluent in Chinese/Vietnamese as well as English,and a middle aged skinny white guy with incredible fa jing who is the senior of a very famous master from Boston and Taiwan). They all taught me different things over the last 30+ years, but I was always in Chinese arts. However, I also discreetly learned some tae kwon do in the early days from such greats in Texas as Tim Kirby, Ray McCallum, and other seniors of Demetrius Golden Greek Havanas, just learning sparring and kicking techniques from them. My first wife was Filipino, and she taught me kali and espada y espada, since her province of Bisayan is reknowned for female knife fighters.

I love watching other arts, but trying to perfect my Chinese styles is a life long pursuit and difficult enough. But, I will ask questions of any style where I feel the master is superior! To not do so, is to be close minded and ya might miss something that unifies everything!!!

Latest Discussions