Is Wing Chun being used the wrong way in fighting?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume the hammer fist would be about the same shoulder/arm angle as the chop, which feels a lot better to me in this context than a back fist position.

Back fist can be either a vertical or horizontal movement. Hammer fist is almost exclusively a vertical movement.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now that sounds really awkward. Can you describe it? Is he impacting with the pinky side of the fist?

Pinky side. It is sort of like the Anderson Silva uppercut elbow but it won't kill you in sparring.

It legitimately sucks to get hit with.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pinky side. It is sort of like the Anderson Silva uppercut elbow but it won't kill you in sparring.

It legitimately sucks to get hit with.

Interesting. I'd love to see this in execution.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would disagree with that. Hammer fist can certainly be horizontal of diagonal as well.
Nearly all the training I have with hammer fist strikes is diagonal or horizontal - both forehand and backhand. That may be linked to the use of a chop as a foundational strike in NGA, and the way we power it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nearly all the training I have with hammer fist strikes is diagonal or horizontal - both forehand and backhand. That may be linked to the use of a chop as a foundational strike in NGA, and the way we power it.
Yes, I think a knife-hand and a hammer fist can be seen as variants of the same strike.

I’ve even trained it traveling in an upward direction, to the rear.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Back fist can be either a vertical or horizontal movement. Hammer fist is almost exclusively a vertical movement.

You can hammer down at an angle with a lot of power generated by torque and weight drop. That would be a downward #1 and #2 strike in the system I train. Same as with a stick, but with no stick!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do WC guys use arm wrap after Tan Shou?

WC-tan-shou.jpg

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do WC guys use arm wrap after Tan Shou?

WC-tan-shou.jpg

I would have to say a big NO to that. I'm not saying it can't or wouldn't happen because everything is circumstantial; but just that a WC person would most likely lean towards striking. Just my .02

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would have to say a big NO to that. I'm not saying it can't or wouldn't happen because everything is circumstantial; but just that a WC person would most likely lean towards striking. Just my .02
If you pull your opponent into your punch, A + B > A.

We are talking about striking here. Is grab-punch commonly used in the WC system? If you use

- arm wrap, you can punch when you are in the front door.

- wrist grab, you can punch when you are in the side door.

Last edited:

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We are talking about striking here. Is grab-punch commonly used in the WC system? If you use

- arm wrap, you can punch when you are in the front door.

Are you suggesting that the ”arm wrap” should be included in the Wing Chun system? If so, how is it beneficial to the entire system in terms of Wing Chun concepts and principles?

Why not utilize methods that are already found, reinforced and developed within the system?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that the ”arm wrap” should be included in the Wing Chun system? If so, how is it beneficial to the entire system in terms of Wing Chun concepts and principles?

Why not utilize methods that are already found, reinforced and developed within the system?
Arm wrap and wrist grab can be used to disable your opponent's arm mobility. When you pull your opponent into your punch, A + B > A.

- Arm wrap can separate your opponent's arms away from his head (this will expose his center).
- Wrist grab can guide your opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm (this will disable his back arm).

When you apply wrist grab, your opponent's elbow joint is still free. When you apply arm wrap, you have truly control his whole arm.

A: Why do you want to bring roundhouse kick into your system?
B: Because it's useful.

Last edited:
OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that the ”arm wrap” should be included in the Wing Chun system? ...Why not utilize methods that are already found, reinforced and developed within the system?

One of my DTE Escrima coaches tried to get me to use an arm wrap like that. He said it was just like a strong, forward pressing tan sau. And when he did it it was effective.

But, it never worked well for me, especially in a Wing Chun context. I found that it worked against the "feel" or "energy" of the art.

Latest Discussions