Is this trained in US TKD

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Just kidding here's the real video

Is this what is trained in TKD schools in the U.S?

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't say we've done too much of that in our school.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do, with the caveat that I stress that the applications are not in any way to be considered complete. Once you've learned a technique or movement and grasped the principles behind it, the applications are near limitless.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't done any TKD training in decades. But I'm still very proud of what I learned, experienced and accomplished. I don't know, and never did know, any of the letter organization thingys. It just wasn't part of what we did. We just trained hard and fought harder.

I don't see any difference in those two vids. Neither is anything I've ever been exposed to. Or want to be, for that matter.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is this what is trained in TKD schools in the U.S?
The first video was a good laugh. The second video looked to me like the guy is demonstrating some reasonable practice drills for sparring, working on block and counter, etc.

dowz

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I haven't done any TKD training in decades. But I'm still very proud of what I learned, experienced and accomplished. I don't know, and never did know, any of the letter organization thingys. It just wasn't part of what we did. We just trained hard and fought harder.

I don't see any difference in those two vids. Neither is anything I've ever been exposed to. Or want to be, for that matter.

I am very proud of what i learnt in TKD too. I went for introductory Muay Thai classes, and just 2 days ago, we started learning MT kicks. The moment we worked on the heavy bags with kicks, the instructor asked if I do TKD. I am guessing the power and style is very distinctive. :)

Can be good or bad i suppose. Either way, still proud of what i learnt from TKD. But i suppose it means i need to work on learning more about MT.

Back to the OP - not in US, but I do TKD in Asia, and it is a more traditional school (instead of sports TKD only), and yes, we do it similarly..

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to generalize about "TKD school across the US", there's too much variation from place to place. I do like Master Jeong's videos, though, to show what kind of ideas or techniques the forms are supposed to be training.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't know about that but it looks like basic point fighting sparring drills. Got moves for point fights but not for street fights a back knuckle to the stomach from the hand isn't to get a lot of power. The back knuckle is a very good strike to the face but to the body there's not enough rotation to cause it to be significant

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't know about that but it looks like basic point fighting sparring drills. Got moves for point fights but not for street fights a back knuckle to the stomach from the hand isn't to get a lot of power. The back knuckle is a very good strike to the face but to the body there's not enough rotation to cause it to be significant
I can show you that same technique that he showed and you would change your mind about it looking like point fighting. I'll even strike the person in the same location. In kung fu we use that same technique and our back fist that we do after redirecting the kick looks and sounds like this. It doesn't matter if we blast it to the ribs or blast it to the face. If it lands the person getting hit with it will feel it. (see back fist at the beginning of the technique)

So when I look at the technique that is done in TKD I see multiple applications of it. That same motion that the TKD guy is the same motion for hooking and grabbing a kick. If he hooks the kick by using that same motion and then use the same motion to do a back fist then he can knock the guy off balance and to the ground.

The 2 arm take down technique is actually a technique that is used to break the arm. Had he applied that technique in the opposite direction he would have broken his partner's arm with ease. Front kicks and thrust punches are all legit for street fighting and self-defense. A person that is able to generate enough power with a front kick can easily break the person's ribs. Front kicks can also be aimed at the heart in an attempt to stop it from beating.. Front kicks can be aimed downward for power kicks to the knee. This guy uses all some of the same kicks that were done in the TKD video. Take note of the knee stomp at (0:46)

If you know how to connect the mechanics for that thrust punch then you can literally knock someone back 4 feet or you can collapse the person. I've seen people get knocked out with that short lead front kick which causes the person to reach down to grab it leaving their head open to a punch from the lead hand.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yes and no. Some schools i've seen focus heavily on things very similar to what you seen in Master Jeong's video and some schools have absolutely no intention of training people that way.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In tradition TKD WTF style you usually learn Free sparring, forms, 1 step sparring, 2 or 3 step sparring, takedowns, self defense, a few joint locks, and many blocks, hand strikes, kicks, steps, stances, and shuffles.

-Julian

Latest Discussions