Is this legal in Bayarea California to carry out?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I read online, it's confusing, I want to see if anyone know whether this is legal to carry out.

Collapsable batton.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe it is not. But you can find all kinds of things in Chinatown that are illegal in California.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if he is dead then he won't
You are assuming that the only reason he would be up on possession charges is if he were attacked and pulled out his weapon and defended himself. Its more likely that the cop will see the baton in the car in a normal traffic stop, or in some other non self-defense situation. Then instead of moving along, he is up on possession charges and never even got to fight for his life with his illegal weapon.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am just curious. I am 69, I carry a cane, a fiber filled nylon cane that is very strong and is 20oz. I can take it on a plane and go anywhere. The subject just came up with a friend of mine.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You can always look for items that are designed to skirt the law. For example, brass knuckles are illegal here in Virginia. The statute includes any and all "metal knuckles." However, you can find knucks that are made of non-metal materials that are just as hard as metal, and they skirt the law here.

I'm sure you can find something similar to that baton that's legal in California by technicality.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You are assuming that the only reason he would be up on possession charges is if he were attacked and pulled out his weapon and defended himself. Its more likely that the cop will see the baton in the car in a normal traffic stop, or in some other non self-defense situation. Then instead of moving along, he is up on possession charges and never even got to fight for his life with his illegal weapon.
A lot of ifs & buts
I'm assuming he wants to defend himself against a knife or more than one attacker.
Life is too short and can go quickly...I would worry about the ifs & buts later.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You can always look for items that are designed to skirt the law. For example, brass knuckles are illegal here in Virginia. The statute includes any and all "metal knuckles." However, you can find knucks that are made of non-metal materials that are just as hard as metal, and they skirt the law here.

I'm sure you can find something similar to that baton that's legal in California by technicality.
Yeah good thinking. Saw a guy on YouTube selling wooden weapons for escrima.
Probably why he does it. Does a self defense channel but his background is escrima

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a reminder, MartialTalk does not condone anyone taking illegal actions/engaging in illegal activities, or encouraging illegal activities, which includes (but is far from limited to) unlawful possession of a weapon in any capacity.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come on he's over 70 I think. :rolleyes:
Age is irrelevant. What you're suggesting be done is a crime. Once convicted, employment becomes problematic. You are required to reveal the conviction on job applications. Many employers will not hire convicts. Many professional licenses are automatically revoked. Which leads to such fun things as divorce and homelessness.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Age is irrelevant. What you're suggesting be done is a crime. Once convicted, employment becomes problematic. You are required to reveal the conviction on job applications. Many employers will not hire convicts. Many professional licenses are automatically revoked. Which leads to such fun things as divorce and homelessness.
Not suggesting anything just telling him what I would do at his age. If he carries one or not is his prerogative.
What employment do you think he has at his age?
Off topic but why do the police and authorities in say Philly allow publicly open illegal activities like drug use and probably worse?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A lot of ifs & buts
I'm assuming he wants to defend himself against a knife or more than one attacker.
Life is too short and can go quickly...I would worry about the ifs & buts later.
If the probability of him running into knife wielding attackers is higher than the probability of him running into a law enforcement officer for any reason at all... then the best course of action would be to move somewhere else. Fortunately, that does not describe many areas in the US.

Given that he is more likely to come across law enforcement with his illegal weapon, than to face knife wielding assailants... it is more probable that an officer will at some point notice the illegal weapon. His car could break down on the side of the road, and if the officer notices the illegal baton next to the console in his car when he stops to help out... thats possession of an illegal weapon.

I would be curious about how long the OP has lived where he currently does and how many times he has seen people assaulted with knives during that time. Also, how many times has he seen law enforcement in that same time period.

In my opinion, its an awful lot of risk to carry an illegal weapon, when there is very little chance that you would actually need to use it. Especially when there are plenty of legal options to choose from. The risk far out weighs the reward. Just carry something legal.

Latest Discussions