Is there anyone else here from New Zealand???

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Was that a photo of you getting your BB?? Beryl...

No Beryl got hers about six months before me. The site hasnt actually been updated since that. If you go into the archives, theres a photo with a friend of my from a kenpo club in london. Im still a brown belt at that stage in the white and black uniform. Blonde hair and a stupid grin.....

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry not the archives - look in the BKKU visit.

D

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Datu Puti said:
If you guys ever end up in the US feel free to stop by.

www.horizonma.com
A friend from our Dojo is going to the States next year, he also trains Sticks on the side at another school...unfortunatly dont think he will make it to NY , will pass on your web site to him incase his plans change.

Thanks

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was in Oz years ago, loved it - got addicted to Vegemite, and then came back here where there is none, and the beer is weak. I didn't get to go to NZ, though...

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
I was in Oz years ago, loved it - got addicted to Vegemite, and then came back here where there is none, and the beer is weak. I didn't get to go to NZ, though...
Is the beer weak in OZ?? Cant say I tried any over there 'XXXX' I think is the brand, if you wont strong bear you will have to try 'Waikato' when you come over here. I prefer 'Lion Red' or 'Export' because im not to fond of strong bear.

my fav place in Austraila is on the Gold Coast!

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You have no idea what you missed by not coming to New Zealand- We are definately more picturisqe than Austraila!!!!!!!! There's a great rivalry between us and them!!!!! lol

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I *really* wanted to, but by the time I was done as a research assistant, I was completely broke. :)

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey cuzy bros,
I'm originally from NZ.Been in Japan about 10 years now.
Dont get to visit home very often.Looking forward to an upcomming trip there in November.
I'd like to visit some dojos while there to get an idea of the level of training and attitudes etc. I'm particularly interested in anywhere who has a reputation of being hard core or into realistic combat type training.
Any recommendations?

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drag'n said:
Hey cuzy bros,
I'm originally from NZ.Been in Japan about 10 years now.
Dont get to visit home very often.Looking forward to an upcomming trip there in November.
I'd like to visit some dojos while there to get an idea of the level of training and attitudes etc. I'm particularly interested in anywhere who has a reputation of being hard core or into realistic combat type training.
Any recommendations?
Here is a link to a NZ Martial Arts Directory:

http://www.rembrandt.gen.nz/new_zealand_martial_arts/

I don’t know about 'Hard Core' Dojo's....but you can come and visit us, 'Incorporated Martial Arts' in Hamilton. Some days we train more technical and same days it is absolutely gut busting hard work. There are White, Yellow, Green, Senior, BB, Sparring, Stretch, Hyung Classes. Also in November our club will be holding its 3rd 'Fyte Nyte' (a full contact sparring contest, similar to a K1 type of atmosphere.

It also depends on what style you are interested in. You could look up Terry Hill in Hamilton, he is Karate and Kickboxing...

As for the rest of NZ don’t really know, I have only been training for a year don’t know to many clubs.

'Storm' on this group belongs to a Kenpo Club in Wellington if you are going that way.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for that link.I've found a couple of places that look worth checking out. I wouldn't mind visiting Storms dojo.I've never seen any western Kenpo before and it sounds interesting.My parents live in Levin, so a trip to Wellington wouldn't be too hard.I'll be on a really tight schedule though.Unfortunately wont be passing through Hamilton.
A pitty.I remember going there as a kid to compete in the big TKD tournament they used to hold every year.

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Drag'n said:
Thanks for that link.I've found a couple of places that look worth checking out. I wouldn't mind visiting Storms dojo.I've never seen any western Kenpo before and it sounds interesting.

Hi there

you can get contact numbers and address from our website

www.kenpo-karate.co.nz

Probably not what I would call hard core either but if you let the guys know you are coming the would probably make sure that on the night that you can get the idea of what American Kenpo is all about.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Storm.
It doesn't really have to be 'hard core'. I love everything about the martial arts.Lately my training has been focusing on realistic fighting concepts,so I'm interested in checking out some dojos that are promoting themselves in that vein, but I practise for more than just fighting skills.
I know in some of my posts I have been crirical of some traditional training methods.I use this forum as a vehicle to express some of my ideas and see how others react.But I'm not the kind of person who goes to other schools and shoots his mouth off.I'm always respecfull of other peoples paths.I usually find that there is something to be learned in every dojo I visit.
I always try to get out and visit a local dojo when I'm traveling, to see what others are into ,and expand my own experience.I just want to get a feel for what kind of training is available back home, in case I end up going back to live.
Once I get my itinerary sorted out I'll contact your dojo.
Looking forward to it.

See you in NZ!

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
A fellow Hamiltonian here.... I train under Phil Beale at Aberdeen School and actually had the honor of fighting in your guys first Fyte Night...... it was great, even if I did get TKO'd in the second round.....

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
YouAgain said:
A fellow Hamiltonian here.... I train under Phil Beale at Aberdeen School and actually had the honor of fighting in your guys first Fyte Night...... it was great, even if I did get TKO'd in the second round.....
No Way!! Is this the Karate Dojo that Marcus Trains at??

Who did you fight! Well done on getting in there, even if you did get TKO'd!! I havent been brave enough to give it a go.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yep that's the one.... I'm not sure of the name of the dude I fought... I'm pretty sure he was a student from Taupo, IIRC he was a yellow belt...

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
YouAgain said:
Yep that's the one.... I'm not sure of the name of the dude I fought... I'm pretty sure he was a student from Taupo, IIRC he was a yellow belt...
So he wasnt from our Dojo (Hamilton) then? Will you be haveing another go in ther next one?

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm definitly considering entering again.

I just need to get my fitness level up a bit... My Stamina is the problem, I've started running in the mornings so I think that is helping.

Latest Discussions