Is there a such thing as too much Kenpo?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say ONE of the founders? Weren't there 5-6 of them?
Yep, in my head I even told myself I needed to state he was one of the founders. But, I believe, he is the only one of them who actually taught the art publicly.

thanks for the catch.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would rather work with 1 thank 3. caused each kenpo has his own style there the Edparker American Kenpo Karate then there kajukenpo there kenpo 5.0 and so on.

So just st8ck to 1

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was coming up there were four types of "Kenpo." Okinawan-Kenpo, Hawaiian Kenpo, Chinese Kenpo, and lastly Japanese Kempo. Ultimately, Okinawan-Kenpo through the Japanese influence changed the name to "te" bringing it in line with "kara-te" removing it from its obvious Chinese Roots. The Chinese taught the Okinawans so their influence was strong in Hawaii, but the major influence has to be Henry Okazaki and his DanZan Ryu Jiujitsu. DanZan Ryu was, like all the arts of Hawaii, a mixture of influences, and with Okazaki being Japanese it contained a great deal of the Japanese Culture Karate as well and suggests why Sifu Chow chose to name his interpretation "Kenpo-Karate" indicating its hybrid nature, and influence in his own training.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Excuse me if I seem like a noob. I just joined the forum. I was just wondering am I studying Kenpo too much. First I studied Parker's American Kenpo, then I have studied White Tiger Kenpo, and now im thinking about studying Villari's Shaolin Kenpo. Do you guys think it's time for a change or what?
I've studied and still teach after fifty years, my version of American Kenpo (AKJ-Kenpo). I was taught at Tracy school by Tracy and then taught there. I met Ed Parker and he set me up in a school to learn Kenpo. I then studied a little Aikido.
Take as much as you want. I'm happy with my Kenpo which I add to and modify to my taste. Carefully check out Villan's Shaolin Kenpo, I heard some negatives about it, but not sure.
Good luck!
Sifu

chrstnkenpoist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Excuse me if I seem like a noob. I just joined the forum. I was just wondering am I studying Kenpo too much. First I studied Parker's American Kenpo, then I have studied White Tiger Kenpo, and now im thinking about studying Villari's Shaolin Kenpo. Do you guys think it's time for a change or what?
Where are you at in each system? Is there a problem with the programs you’ve been involved in? Villari’s system in vastly different than American Kenpo as well as the White Tiger System. So?

Latest Discussions