Is there a martial art I can learn despite having balance issues due to injuries?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to ask, what is a decent price range for individual lessons in jiu jitsu?
Whatever the local market is. There's really no way to answer this question. Property costs and cost of living varies hugely from one city to another. Commercial schools will cost a lot more than non-commercial. Private lessons will cost a lot more than group.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Luckily I was able to find an instructor close to me, who is willing to work with me, and test what i can do.
Thanks everyone, so rare to find a forum with so many kind and helpful members. It is greatly appreciated
That's really fantastic to hear mate, hope it goes well, and that you stick around and let us know how it all goes :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever the local market is. There's really no way to answer this question. Property costs and cost of living varies hugely from one city to another. Commercial schools will cost a lot more than non-commercial. Private lessons will cost a lot more than group.
This. And it also depends a bit upon your means. What I consider reasonable and what someone else considers reasonable - even in the same market - won't be the same thing.

OP
stetson

stetson

White Belt
Reaction score
I have started my individual Classes and I definitely enjoy it, Luckily balance has not been an issue, but dang the training is exhausting. Then again that is exactly what i need. I will continue training until i move to Mexico in late September. Hopefully i can keep learning there.
Thanks all for the help and advice.

John dye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have had multiple knee surgeries, as well as nerve damage to my peroneal nerve which greatly affects my ability to balance on my right leg, as well as prevents me from sprinting or any sort of sharp turns that would be required to ski, play basketball etc.
Is there any discipline I can learn where this will not be a drawback?
FYI - I am not choosing to learn martial arts for self defense, competition, picking fights etc.
I truly miss competition, the feeling after strenuous exercise, and just having fun.
Tai chi - hsing yi- bagua- internal martial arts chi gung -shaolin kung fu

Latest Discussions