Is it not a good idea to use boxing in a street fight situation do to the risk of breaking bones in

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was in the chess club, but mostly I just skipped class, smoked weed, and argued with friends about deep things. I graduated with my class, but IIRC, my gpa was like 2.1 and that was after two years of night school and summer school. But I was also working 30 hours per week at McDs and making that money!

After I graduated, I worked two full time jobs. One was as a dishwasher at a small restaurant on Bainbridge island with a guy who was the drummer for an unknown garage band called Nirvana. My brush with almost fame!

Lol!

I didn't smoke weed until my first year of college, but other than that....yeah, God, I'm laughing right now.

I worked at Mickey D's for one night, me and the boss didn't really get along. Then I worked all kinds of strange jobs through college, from working as Santa Claus in a department store, with kids sitting on my knee to get their picture taken, to selling suits in a department store, to working in a sub shop for a year and a half where I never actually made even one sub - not one, honest, just took sports bets over the phone.

Graduating from high school I was ranked 199 out of 201 in my class, never did homework and actually got into college. Go figure.

As you can imagine, that went really well.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it not a good idea to use boxing in a street fight situation do to the risk of breaking bones in your hand? I contacted a self defense instructor and told him I wanted to take boxing lessons for self defense. He responded there are to many small delicate bones in the hand to be punching an assailant in a life or death situation and that it is not uncommon at all for even professional boxers to break there hands during fights even when they are wrapped and gloved. So he said that it be reckless and irresponsible for him to teach me boxing for self defense and put me in a situation where I could lose my life based on what he teaches.

And then he referred me to this youtube video for an alternative to hitting with boxing punches. What do you think?

Better break a hand than lose a life. Even if you punch and break your hand on contact, if you're in a genuine street fight situation, you won't feel a thing from the adrenaline. I know because it's happened to me. I got into a scuffle, and received the classic boxer's fracture whilst aiming to hook punch my opponent's temple. Thing is, I didn't even feel the pain until 30-60 minutes later when the fight had ended. It all depends on whether the instructor can teach you proper punching technique, whether you are dedicated to condition your bones, and if you will be able to hit your target as intended.

In short, boxing is still effective. Even if you decide to use different striking techniques, or a whole other martial style altogether, there aren't many other styles, dare I say any, that can teach you footwork, blocking, fighting instinct and remove your flinching as effectively as boxing. Why? Because of all the striking styles out there, boxing rings offer the smallest amount of space available. When sparring, you are almost constantly in your opponent's face and vice versa due to the small arena in comparison to say MMA, where the cage is larger to allow for kicks and other techniques.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Better break a hand than lose a life. Even if you punch and break your hand on contact, if you're in a genuine street fight situation, you won't feel a thing from the adrenaline. I know because it's happened to me. I got into a scuffle, and received the classic boxer's fracture whilst aiming to hook punch my opponent's temple. Thing is, I didn't even feel the pain until 30-60 minutes later when the fight had ended. It all depends on whether the instructor can teach you proper punching technique, whether you are dedicated to condition your bones, and if you will be able to hit your target as intended.

In short, boxing is still effective. Even if you decide to use different striking techniques, or a whole other martial style altogether, there aren't many other styles, dare I say any, that can teach you footwork, blocking, fighting instinct and remove your flinching as effectively as boxing. Why? Because of all the striking styles out there, boxing rings offer the smallest amount of space available. When sparring, you are almost constantly in your opponent's face and vice versa due to the small arena in comparison to say MMA, where the cage is larger to allow for kicks and other techniques.

I think any system can be effective on the street, as long as you realize you are going to have to improvise. The big difference being, there are no rules...and you must be prepared to do something worse than your opponent might do. You may not have to, but you must be ready to do things that you might otherwise find immoral.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finding it strange that so many have played ping pong . I used to play at the Rec centers for bragging rights but that was about the extent of it. Martials and Ping Pong. who would have guessed. Or maybe it's a generational thing?
Different generation, I also played ping pong.

Funny story-me and my best friend in childhood were absolutely amazing at ping pong. 99% of people we played, regardless of age/experience, we'd beat. He was better than me, and one other guy came to one of the rec centers we frequented and beat him once, but that was about it. Except his dad-he was the one who taught us both to play, and we could never beat him. When I was a teenager, I finally was playing a game with him where it looked like I might win..and he switched hands. Turned out he'd been left handed the whole time and I didn't know..

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Funny story-me and my best friend in childhood were absolutely amazing at ping pong. 99% of people we played, regardless of age/experience, we'd beat. He was better than me, and one other guy came to one of the rec centers we frequented and beat him once, but that was about it. Except his dad-he was the one who taught us both to play, and we could never beat him. When I was a teenager, I finally was playing a game with him where it looked like I might win..and he switched hands. Turned out he'd been left handed the whole time and I didn't know..
I wish I could surprise someone like that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think any system can be effective on the street, as long as you realize you are going to have to improvise. The big difference being, there are no rules...and you must be prepared to do something worse than your opponent might do. You may not have to, but you must be ready to do things that you might otherwise find immoral.
What is it about any system that would make it effective, in your opinion? How do you train to people to do things they might otherwise consider immoral? Someone mentioned social conditioning in another thread. This sounds alarmingly like actual social conditioning.

Another question. If any system could theoretically be effective on the street, as long as you realize you're going to have to improvise, wouldn't that mean that no training is effective, as long as the person is prepared to emphasize? If your assertion is true, then training is unnecessary, as we should instead focus on somehow developing people's improvisation skills.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Capture.JPG

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing is perfect for self defence. Even, what is self defense? Or what is the kind of attacks you have in mind?

Anything will need to be adapted from what it is to what you want or need. I am sure boxing will be helpful, expecially if you are aware of the hands and wrists weakness.
You can still learn how to dodge punches, or precision so you still hit the chin without breaking bones, or try to mix with open hands...

I guess boxing is one of the easiest styles learn and to apply on untrained opponents.

Well, have fun. Hopefully, you will not need self defence that much. At least, have fun while training something.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think some of the, for lack of a better term...confusion about this vane, is it depends on what you're referring to, basic self defense for an unusual situation or spending significant time fighting on the street. I ended up homeless three times for substantial periods (left SoCal hitch-hiking). First time, gang-bangers in downtown San Antoinio, then found a job in a manufacturing facility on the edge of the third ward in Houston. Whole different kind of fighters there. Then after hitch-hiking to Galveston and Freeport and working on the oil supply boats a year, I went back to San Antonio and fought more gang-bangers. That wasn't the end of it either.

My point being, my necessity changed my motivation from self-defense to life and death struggles. Things change at that point, so my definition may be different than others. Oddly, that's what my instructor trained me for from the beginning. Fortunately he trained me for 8 years before I left SoCal, but I had no idea I'd ever use it to such a serious level. I had to do some things I find questionable from a moral perspective.

I think most systems work reasonably well if you're good at them, but you still have to learn and adapt.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golf, HA! I routinely beat my buddies so bad I feel sorry for them. Poor guys shoot in the eighties and I shoot in the high one thirties. Fifty shots more than they ever get to do. They bought me this shirt just last year to honor my skill.

View attachment 23119
At my best I was spectacularly unpredictable. I could drive the ball 300+ yards, but was never quite sure which direction. Behind me was usually a safe place to stand. But when it went where I wanted, it was a thing of beauty.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Was his name, by any chance, Inigo? :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my best I was spectacularly unpredictable. I could drive the ball 300+ yards, but was never quite sure which direction. Behind me was usually a safe place to stand. But when it went where I wanted, it was a thing of beauty.

I love playing golf, but I'm spectacularly awful at it, but it's just fun.

However, I actually won a trophy in a golf tournament once. For Best dressed. Knickers, pom pom hat, the whole nine yards. I think I shot a one seventy that day. Not a bad days work.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love playing golf, but I'm spectacularly awful at it, but it's just fun.

However, I actually won a trophy in a golf tournament once. For Best dressed. Knickers, pom pom hat, the whole nine yards. I think I shot a one seventy that day. Not a bad days work.
I actually won a chipping contest once. Would have won the long-drive if they'd just ended it with the qualification - my qualifying drive was longer than anyone else's drive that day. My actual competition drives (we got 2) were each about 60 yards wide...on opposite sides. The day was an excellent summary of my golf game at the time. Best I ever shot was 94. Most days I'd shoot something closer to 110.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually won a chipping contest once. Would have won the long-drive if they'd just ended it with the qualification - my qualifying drive was longer than anyone else's drive that day. My actual competition drives (we got 2) were each about 60 yards wide...on opposite sides. The day was an excellent summary of my golf game at the time. Best I ever shot was 94. Most days I'd shoot something closer to 110.

My greatest accomplishment in golf was shooting a 144 without losing a ball. I still have that sucker.

On the 17th I cranked into the woods, everyone helped me find it. It was a red Lady Titlest with a chip in it. I may even take it out next time I golf and set it free.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My buddy and I used to golf when we were in our early teens. I would do ok for a while and then my game would just deteriorate. I was screaming obscenities, throwing my clubs, yup I was that guy, at about age 13.

Finally my buddy told me he got a call from the clubhouse, telling him we’ve just GOT to chill out. I guess I got us noticed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My greatest accomplishment in golf was shooting a 144 without losing a ball. I still have that sucker.

On the 17th I cranked into the woods, everyone helped me find it. It was a red Lady Titlest with a chip in it. I may even take it out next time I golf and set it free.
As long as you and your playing partners have fun, who cares how many strokes it takes.

Well, everyone who makes fewer strokes, clearly. But besides them, who cares?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I used to golf when we were in our early teens. I would do ok for a while and then my game would just deteriorate. I was screaming obscenities, throwing my clubs, yup I was that guy, at about age 13.

Finally my buddy told me he got a call from the clubhouse, telling him we’ve just GOT to chill out. I guess I got us noticed.
I was never that guy, though I had some playing partners who were. My dad was, though in a more...restrained fashion. I broke a few clubs in my day, but that was always from me playing some ridiculous shot from some ridiculous place against a tree. I seemed to spend a lot of time doing that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As long as you and your playing partners have fun, who cares how many strokes it takes.

Well, everyone who makes fewer strokes, clearly. But besides them, who cares?

Probably the foursome behind me. But I wouldn't make them wait. We either have them play through, or I pick up my ball, jump in the cart and give myself a ten on the hole.

Latest Discussions