Is Humility Necessary in Martial Arts?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. Sometimes based upon level or title at level where I have worked as well as with education. Some PhD's will not be obvious about it, but they will say things occasionally about their schooling or just continue to yell like you do not know what you are talking about, which makes most people stop and think maybe there is something I do not know and need to check. So your silence becomes an acceptance to their comments.

Over time some are ignored or moved out of implementation and into real advanced stuff so they can go play in a sand box and let others produce a producet to sell to customers so the company can make some money and pay their salary.

And those who are this way and are right a lot usually get promoted and are out of your way to get the job done.

Now that being said, the numbers are few. Most people right now are just happy to have a job and able to work.
I understand, thank you for elaborating on this Rich. I think ultimately you are correct though that snobbery seems a little misguided and childish when job security is at risk. I hope you do not let this interfere with your own image of yourself. If someone is derogatory about you I think it is seldom an objective appraisal of you and but more of a glaring reflection of some not great stuff that is going down in their heads. I hope you are well. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Chem E major for three years. I left because of the Cancer rates working with oil products. It is safer to work with radioactive material or it was from the data in the late 80's.

And yes, some will always look down on others with or without a job. :hmm:

I am glad you have one though. :)

And, to be fair, I worked with a lot of PhD.s at the lab, and most of them were pretty much okay. I did get forced to get a PhD. myself, because people with doctorates don't really care to be "working for" someone who doesn't have one, but it's been my observation that most people who actually have a reason to feel "superior" to someone rarely act that way....I certainly don't ever actually have a reason to feel superior to anyone...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked at a company 10 years ago that was easily one-third PhDs. We made speech recognition software for commercial telecom applications, so a big chunk of our employees were speech scientists. One thing I was told at my interview was that no one uses the title of "doctor" in the company. The employee manual stated that educational titles such as Ph.D. could be used at the employee's discretion.

At one point in a meeting, a newer employee spoke out against the policy. "I don't see why I can't call myself 'Doctor' when I am here. I worked very hard for my doctorate."

One of our VPs in the meeting stood up and stared at the guy. "Big deal. I've got three of 'em. I worked very hard for all of mine. What should I have people call me? Doctor-doctor-doctor?"

Funny....the subject never came up again.... :lol2:

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked at a company 10 years ago that was easily one-third PhDs. We made speech recognition software for commercial telecom applications, so a big chunk of our employees were speech scientists. One thing I was told at my interview was that no one uses the title of "doctor" in the company. The employee manual stated that educational titles such as Ph.D. could be used at the employee's discretion.

At one point in a meeting, a newer employee spoke out against the policy. "I don't see why I can't call myself 'Doctor' when I am here. I worked very hard for my doctorate."

One of our VPs in the meeting stood up and stared at the guy. "Big deal. I've got three of 'em. I worked very hard for all of mine. What should I have people call me? Doctor-doctor-doctor?"

Funny....the subject never came up again.... :lol2:

Totally reminds me of the movie Spies Like US.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand, thank you for elaborating on this Rich. I think ultimately you are correct though that snobbery seems a little misguided and childish when job security is at risk. I hope you do not let this interfere with your own image of yourself. If someone is derogatory about you I think it is seldom an objective appraisal of you and but more of a glaring reflection of some not great stuff that is going down in their heads. I hope you are well. :)

Actually this is not an issue for me. Meaning I feel bad when a jerk acts like a jerk.

Yet, I do feel bad when managers tell me that people are afraid of me. They do not like that I look people inn the eyes. I say hi to people as I walk down the hallway.
All is as well as it can be for me with all that is going on. ;~)

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chris, when you can speak to me with the same level of humility you do your classmate, or your instructor, I will be happy to continue any conversation we have. Until then, I hope you enjoy the forums. I do doubt your insight- not in technique, but in value of character within martial arts, as a generality. Take it as you will- I am but one opine out of the millions which exist in the world concerning martial arts. I understand I have rubbed you wrong, but understand that to me, you have gone far beyond anything I have done... and honestly, I find it hard to respect an individual who is responding as you have. I wish you well, and continuance in your art... but confrontation only leads to self-doubt, and frankly, the advice you offer is tempered by self-defiance against me. Excuse me for ignoring your input with that in mind.

I am sorry Bill you had that experience. I wonder if perhaps a friend could be made from what happened, but then again, when I look at those like that, I do not see their aggression only, but the hurt which drives it.

I hope if this ever happens to me, I'll be able to have him sit, and at least enjoy tea with me. You did good, I am sorry he did not take the opportunity to enrich his own life with the point of view you have to offer.

As a joke, I once tried to pay for a meal at mcdonalds with a sapphire gem. It wasn't worth more than maybe 75$, but I'd have still given it over if the clerk accepted. You cannot make others see the good in you, of what you offer, when they have made up their minds already, with certitude.

As to Jenna, I wish you the greatest safety. Having been a fellow victim, know that your well-being will be in my thoughts next time I meditate.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chris, when you can speak to me with the same level of humility you do your classmate, or your instructor, I will be happy to continue any conversation we have. Until then, I hope you enjoy the forums. I do doubt your insight- not in technique, but in value of character within martial arts, as a generality. Take it as you will- I am but one opine out of the millions which exist in the world concerning martial arts. I understand I have rubbed you wrong, but understand that to me, you have gone far beyond anything I have done... and honestly, I find it hard to respect an individual who is responding as you have. I wish you well, and continuance in your art... but confrontation only leads to self-doubt, and frankly, the advice you offer is tempered by self-defiance against me. Excuse me for ignoring your input with that in mind.

I am sorry Bill you had that experience. I wonder if perhaps a friend could be made from what happened, but then again, when I look at those like that, I do not see their aggression only, but the hurt which drives it.

I hope if this ever happens to me, I'll be able to have him sit, and at least enjoy tea with me. You did good, I am sorry he did not take the opportunity to enrich his own life with the point of view you have to offer.

As a joke, I once tried to pay for a meal at mcdonalds with a sapphire gem. It wasn't worth more than maybe 75$, but I'd have still given it over if the clerk accepted. You cannot make others see the good in you, of what you offer, when they have made up their minds already, with certitude.

As to Jenna, I wish you the greatest safety. Having been a fellow victim, know that your well-being will be in my thoughts next time I meditate.

Do you have the slightest understanding of how much damage you're doing to the good reputation of GMU with your continued butchery of the English language? Just one example. You continue to use opine as a noun when it is, as has been pointed out several times, a verb. And what sort of twisted "logic" leads one to write "the advice you offer is tempered by self-defiance against me" and delude themselves into thinking it makes any sense whatsoever?

You are right about one thing though...arrogance and a belief in ones infallibility, even when faced with piles of contrary evidence, does tend to rub people the wrong way.

If you'd like Chris to treat you with as much respect as a student, you would probably be well advised to be as receptive as his students.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Zenjael said:
Chris, when you can speak to me with the same level of humility you do your classmate, or your instructor, I will be happy to continue any conversation we have. Until then, I hope you enjoy the forums. I do doubt your insight- not in technique, but in value of character within martial arts, as a generality.

It's my opine that you should go try a class at the GMU kyokushin karate club.Make sure to tell them that you're 3rd dan. Come relate the experience to us, as you would a classmate, or instructor, and share your insights. That might, at the very least, change a few opines.

After all, steel is only tempered by the hottest of flames.
:lol:

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Frankly, you could do with a lot more humility yourself.

And as far as respect.. that's not a given. It is earned. And Chris is your senior, both in martial arts ability and in age. You want respect? Quit talking down to your seniors. Quit acting like you automatically deserve an equal footing.

This really has nothing to do with how you think you are acting. Kid, you have been putting yourself on a pedestal by your words. That doesn't really fly here... Or anywhere.

If you want an example outside of your experience, go to the Kenpo forums and read through the sword and hammer thread. Ras (atacxgym) was acting the way you have been since you got here, and he was shot down more vehemently than you.

He thought more highly of himself than was warranted, liked to use long, verbose responses, and wasn't really good at listening to reason. And don't get me wrong, I actually like Ras, but I eventually couldn't side with him either.

And frankly, he has a lot more skill in the martial arts than you do. Read through those posts. Really read through them. Look at how he was received. That is you in the future. Ask yourself if that is really what you want. If that is REALLY how you want to be viewed.

Some of us here are still pulling for you. You have potential. But to be blunt, you are going to have to pull your head out of your fifth point of contact before you'll be able to act on that potential.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's my opine that you should go try a class at the GMU kyokushin karate club.Make sure to tell them that you're 3rd dan. Come relate the experience to us, as you would a classmate, or instructor, and share your insights. That might, at the very least, change a few opines.

After all, steel is only tempered by the hottest of flames.
:lol:

Opine. You bastard

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

opine

self-defiance (what word do you really mean? Self-defiance isn't even a word; the best I can say it would mean is something like challenging yourself, or opposing yourself.)

Really... Please, buy yourself a copy of Strunk & White. Or any other style guide. You are making yourself look uneducated and unprepared by misusing words. And what does your comment about the sapphire gem have to do with anything? Of course the clerk at Mcdonalds wouldn't likely accept it; gems aren't generally considered legal tender in the US.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Humility is necessary for a couple reasons. I am reminded to be humble every time I go to class because, since the times I can go are so few and far between, I quickly realize that I am NOT the best at wing chun (especially chi sao) in that school. As far as humility outside of class, that is necessary too because you'd look really foolish if you were boasting before you got into a fight about how you were going to completely wreck the other person...and then THEY wreck YOU.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Grandad had a saying. You can be humble or get humbled, it all works out in the end.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Humble I like. But I tend to use their term professional.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Genuine question here: Do you truly equate the terms "humble" and "professional"? I'm not really seeing much of a connection there.

Strictly speaking I would think you are right, but personally that fits with my profession. I have to be humble and professional. IE, a upset person that may confront me at work, I have to use both these.

Latest Discussions