Is getting hit to the head over and over can be dangerous?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So why is it some people can be punched in head 1,000 times some people 2,000 times!!! And other people only 500 times.

If I could figure that out, I'd be a very wealthy man. I'd know the answers to questions the brain surgeons haven't figured out yet.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So if you have hard time learning things and remembering things? Slow reaction time and talk slow? You should quite fighting? Because that means your brain is not sharp like it was before and toll of fighting it is having on the brain?

And if you continue it will get worse?
Yep. Ideally you would quit before it even got that far if you really value your brain. Unfortunately a lot of fighters don't think that far ahead.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So if you have hard time learning things and remembering things? Slow reaction time and talk slow? You should quite fighting? Because that means your brain is not sharp like it was before and toll of fighting it is having on the brain?

And if you continue it will get worse?

No. You need to practice regardless whether you are good or bad, you just have to be careful about how you practice. If someone goes full on no holds barred full contact all the time the odds are they are going to seriously hurt.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. You need to practice regardless whether you are good or bad, you just have to be careful about how you practice. If someone goes full on no holds barred full contact all the time the odds are they are going to seriously hurt.
If you read his question carefully, he was asking about fighting, not training.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if younger people can take more hits to the head than say older people.

If person age is a factor?

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Also some people have thick bones that may help out a bit.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder if younger people can take more hits to the head than say older people.

If person age is a factor?

I did sports medicine (athletic trainer) at the college level for about 15 years, and at the junior high/high school level for about 3 years. The younger the athlete, the longer it took to recover from a concussion. College juniors and seniors typically wouldn't have symptoms last longer than 3-5 days (5 days was a long time), while high school kids would have symptoms for 2 weeks, and it wasn't uncommon for junior high kids to still have symptoms 3 weeks later. These weren't severe concussions like loss of consciousness nor hospitalized; they were pretty "routine" concussions. More severe concussions took longer across the board.

That's just what I observed. When I started at the high school level, I asked my colleagues why things were taking so long, and if this was normal. It was in line with what they were seeing too. I think it has to do with where they are in the brain development process.

I'm not sure about people older than college age, as I don't have any experience with that population.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Neck strength is often thought to reduce risk. Nothing can be objectively proven though, as you'd have to hit people in the head and give them concussions to prove or disprove this or anything else. No one's lining up for that study nor approving that study.

cane56

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Read my thread ( we need to talk) it will answer your question.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who got a concussion in martial arts but back in highschool someone in my class got three concussions(throughout the course of 5 years). After the third they wouldn't let him play football anymore, and he mostly just gave out water and stuff his senior year. On the surface level he didn't seem significantly different personality wise though I'm guessing he just got real lucky.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a neuroscientist and can assure you, receiving blows to the head or anything that causes the head to whip back and forth or rotate rapidly is dangerous and the damage is cumulative.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some one was saying getting hit over and over to the head can cause injuries. Saying some fighters getting knocked out can cause brain injuries.

If so how safe is MMA, boxing, Muay Thai and kickboxing so on and other martial arts getting hit to the head over and over?

I know there been a number of Muay Thai and boxing fighters that have got a brain concussion. But what do these many brain concussions over and over effect the person in some way?

Does the brain heel over time on its own? Have some boxers have to quite boxing if its gotten really bad? How do you know it is bad?

Why do amateur fighters are more at risk than say professional fighters? Have there been any champions have had any problem and have to quite fighting?
Yes. Getting hit in the head is dangerous.

Edit: sorry I didn't notice the thread is from 2017.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Might hinder as well. The brain bangs into what houses it. Maybe the thicker skull is worse, who knows? Certainly not me.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Neck strength is often thought to reduce risk. Nothing can be objectively proven though, as you'd have to hit people in the head and give them concussions to prove or disprove this or anything else. No one's lining up for that study nor approving that study.
Yes they are. Have been for decades.

oneoftheherd80

White Belt
Reaction score
Interesting to see this thread alive again. I think it is a good thing. We all need to keep such things in mind before we allow dangers we have control of into our lives.

Latest Discussions