Is getting a carry permit supposed to be *this* easy?

Aikironin

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well Govt's responsibility is not to provide for us the citizenry an absolution of personal responsibilty and/or accountability for our actions. We as Budoka are constantly trained in this realm of thought, as not only what is "right" but is "right to do". Therein lies the difference, merely because I have the 'right' to do something, does not necessarily mean it is 'right' to do that same thing. The overly litigious society that we currently live in has drifted far from this notion, where we collectively assume that if a child got obese from being fed McDonald's every day, clearly it is McD's fault and not merely a lifestyle choice, and a poor one at that. Here in NYC they actually want to rezone areas, as McDonald's and other Fast foods are "targeting" lower income neigborhoods, and this clearly is evil exploitation! That Damn red haired Clown! Freedom of choice is having not only the freedom to choose, but hopefully to choose wisely. This has become a lost notion. I.e. if I want to use my freedom of speech to burn a flag, so be it, it is somewhat protected as a citizen, but If I get stomped like a Narc at a biker rally for doing so. Well...I should have known better.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking of No Concealed Carry in Illinois... I just saw this on the website for my local gun shop/range.

Utah Permit for Concealed Carry Class!
is now holding these classes so you can obtain your permit for Utah, which even non-residents can get and it still covers 28 states.
Those include: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and Wyoming.
There is no range session required for the Utah permit, but is for the optional Florida permit also available. You simply must be 21 older. Completing this class with entitle you to a application which is signed off by the instructor, where you must send it in to the state of Utah with a processing fee, and await to pass a background check and processing time.

So I guess its not so difficult to get in other places either, Swordlady. Even tho I cant carry here... I might just go take this class considering how often I am in Indiana and Ohio.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will not say where I am in NY, but in the city I live in there is a town and a village. The judge in one will give you a conceal carry permit, while the judge in the other will not since she does not believe people should have them. Figures I live in the one that will not give them.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
tempus said:
I will not say where I am in NY, but in the city I live in there is a town and a village. The judge in one will give you a conceal carry permit, while the judge in the other will not since she does not believe people should have them. Figures I live in the one that will not give them.

Press your legislator to begin impeachment hearings.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Press your legislator to begin impeachment hearings.
I would agree - or at least communicate with the judiciary above this judge. Judges are not above the law, nor can they choose to ignore laws because they disagree with them.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tempus said:
I sure love living in a "shall issue" state.

Jeff

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't been to the firing range for a long while (since April!), so I set up a time to go today with one of my friends. Unfortunately, the range was occupied by qualification tests, so we weren't able to go target shooting (bummer!) Out of curiousity, I asked about the requirements for carrying a firearm in Pennsylvania. I asked a while ago, and was positive that it was somewhat involved. What I heard shocked me. Apparently, all that is needed is a $19 money order and a background check (which only takes a few minutes). If the background check is okay, I would then fill out an application and get a photo ID taken. That's it. I would then be allowed to carry a firearm in my state.

With the rising number of gun-related crimes, I would think that the lawmakers would make it harder to acquire a gun permit. I certainly didn't expect it to be this simple. Then again, it took all of a fifteen minutes for me to purchase a gun (just a .22 caliber Walther for sport shooting) a couple years ago. A quick background check, and I became a gun owner. Another $19 dollars, I could've also acquired a license to carry.

The powers-to-be may have wanted to make it easy for law-abiding citizens like myself to "protect" ourselves. But should it be *this* easy?

Without reading the entire thread and only your post thusfar, I will say that yes, it is supposed to be that easy or even easier.

The right to own and carry in our society (where the only thing to effectively equalize the armed criminal is a firearm) is the equivalent to the right to self-defense. The right to self-defense is an inalienable right, and therefore shouldn't be attempted to be taken by the government.

Because of this, CPL or CCW courses should only encompass minimum safety requirements, not requirements of certain skill like a qualification.
The idea that these courses should be required, however, is debatable. There is a school of thought that makes a sound arguement that it should be up to the individual to be personally responsible to get the training and education, and the law should hold them to the legal standard but the government should not require a special course to obtain a permit. I am not necessarily in agreement with that position, but I don't necessarily disagree either.

BTW...I am assuming also that in PENN. you have to show a certificate of a completed CPL/CCW course for the concealed carry license, not just pay money and here you go. If not, then I have never heard of anything like that, and I am wondering if your not mistaken. ???