Is getting a carry permit supposed to be *this* easy?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't been to the firing range for a long while (since April!), so I set up a time to go today with one of my friends. Unfortunately, the range was occupied by qualification tests, so we weren't able to go target shooting (bummer!) Out of curiousity, I asked about the requirements for carrying a firearm in Pennsylvania. I asked a while ago, and was positive that it was somewhat involved. What I heard shocked me. Apparently, all that is needed is a $19 money order and a background check (which only takes a few minutes). If the background check is okay, I would then fill out an application and get a photo ID taken. That's it. I would then be allowed to carry a firearm in my state.

With the rising number of gun-related crimes, I would think that the lawmakers would make it harder to acquire a gun permit. I certainly didn't expect it to be this simple. Then again, it took all of a fifteen minutes for me to purchase a gun (just a .22 caliber Walther for sport shooting) a couple years ago. A quick background check, and I became a gun owner. Another $19 dollars, I could've also acquired a license to carry.

The powers-to-be may have wanted to make it easy for law-abiding citizens like myself to "protect" ourselves. But should it be *this* easy?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... I dunno. I mean, I have my doubts about the ultimate usefulness of permits anyway. People who expect to fail the background check aren't really likely to attempt to get a permit, and they will still have guns. I think that this is another instance of the law-abiding having to pay, and the law-breaking avoiding the system set up to make it harder for them to break the law. On the other hand, some kind of system needs to be in place, but I don't know how to improve the one we've got.

Also, what is the procedure for buying a gun (rather than getting a permit)? I thought there were laws about not being able to buy a gun immediately. That may be the other part of the carry permit - but I don't know for sure. Since I've never carried a gun (except my friend's rifle, but it was unloaded, disassembled, and in a case; I was helping them move), much less fired one, never mind applied for any permits, I really can't say from experience.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
State laws for buying and carrying a firearm vary, but it is ridiculously easy in Pennsylvania. It took all of fifteen minutes for the gun shop to run a background check on me, and presto, I was a proud new gunowner. Not licensed to carry, mind you, but I am still able to take my handgun back and forth from the range.

I imagine that buying a gun in Texas is just as simple. But as Carol stated in another thread, MUCH more difficult in Massachusetts.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it should be that easy for a law abiding citizen to be able to carry a gun. The percentage of people who legally carry and commit crimes is incredibly low. The "bad guys" don't bother getting permits, nor do they buy their firearms legally.

The right to defend yourself is just as inalienable as the right to free speech or freedom of religion. As of now, a handgun is about the most efficient portable way to defend yourself.

Here in Indiana, it's even easier. No qualification shoot at all. Just get your fingerprints, background check, and you'll have it in the mail in about 10 days.
$10 for the local police/sheriff and another $10 for the state police. Also, now you can get a lifetime permit, which I'll be doing next month as mine is about to expire.

Jeff

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NYS
- Must be 21
- 4 photos
- 4 character references, in same county, non-related
- Proof of safe handling course completion
- Application must be notarized
- Cost is $99
- Must be fingerprinted
- More paperwork needed if any criminal history

Gun registration fees and fingerprinting fees are additional.
http://www.erie.gov/depts/government/clerk/applications_permits_pistol.phtml

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe it should be that easy.

The technology today should make it simple enough to determine if your right has been revoked due to incidents in your background. Other than that, why should it be difficult.

I believe in New Hampshire, there are no requirements for purchasing firearms. The concealed carry application is submitted at the local police station, and almost always approved. I think there is a small fee to cover the background research.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Feel Lucky is so complicated, Bob.

You could live in Chicago where even OWNING a handgun is a crime, and there are no provisions for carrying AT ALL in the state.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

You could live in Chicago where even OWNING a handgun is a crime, and there are no provisions for carrying AT ALL in the state.

Yes, but there are not murders by handguns in Chicago so the rigid laws are having the desired effect of ending murders by firearms in the city. Right?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Alabama, it's similar. Go the sheriff's dept, fill out the application form, pay the fee, undergo the background check, and you're approved.

It's really no different than buying a firearm, since you have to go through the instant background check. Any instances of a felony, violent misdemeanor, domestic violence, habitual drunkeness charges, or drug charges, and you're denied.

By the way, in Vermont and Alaska, no permits needed. If you can lawfully possess a gun, you can carry a lawfully owned firearm.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan said:
I need to escape. Like right now.

If I remember correctly, doesn't your state have some of the strictest gun laws in the country?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

*reminds self not to move to Chicago*

How on earth does that jive w/ the 2nd amendment?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
*reminds self not to move to Chicago*

How on earth does that jive w/ the 2nd amendment?

Well, ya know, there are a lot of folk (even here on MT) who do not believe that the 2nd amendment means we have the right to bear arms, it means the government has the right to create an armed militia. Plus there is the whole "We are willing to sacrifice our rights in the name of saftey" crowd.

The Illinois state constitution grants us that right in a clear fashion as well, but they still choose to ignore it.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that in NM, my friends had to do some background check thing, take a class and certify with either each caliber weapon they wanted to be able to carry or just the highest caliber and it covered the lower ones, I can't remember and they had to take a target test shooting with their dominent and non-dominent side from like 9 feet away, and then presto in the mail the permit came....

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here in Maine you now have to take a handgun course which consists of State concealed carry laws and then a short trip to the firing range. After that you pay the city clerk and fill out the application which gives the chief of police the OK to get your records (loony-bin, court, criminal). No problem except it takes a couple of weeks for everything to come in. Here in the tiny town I live in, the Chief usually just stops by your house to drop off your Concealed carry permit. I think it is $40 for the first 4 years and then $20 or $30 for the following 4 year periods.

If it is just to carry your handgun in a holster, there is no permit required as long as it is in the open. As a side note it is the only place I've lived that a bank teller will not FREAK-OUT if you walk in with a shoulder holster on (I forgot it was on when I stopped by my bank one day. ooops).

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
The powers-to-be may have wanted to make it easy for law-abiding citizens like myself to "protect" ourselves. But should it be *this* easy?
Why should it be difficult for law-abiding citizens? The background check is the key here. Of course I believe one should have also passed some sort of gun safety and marksmanship course beforehand. Other than that, I don't think that it should be "difficult" for law abiding citizens.

Along the same lines, if you were to go to a major league baseball game, your not going to get through the gates without a ticket, but if you have a ticket, it is quite easy to get in and virtually trouble free. So why should obtaining a permit be any more difficult than obtaining access to the game.

IMO, the background check is the key. That is like the ticket check at the entrance. Only the ones without tickets will have a difficult time.

Just my opinion on the matter.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Of course I believe one should have also passed some sort of gun safety and marksmanship course beforehand. .

And if you are unable to pass a gun safety or marksmanship course, is your right to keep and bear arms forfeited?

Although, I think these are a matter of good personal behavior, I do not think they should be required.

Legislating responsible behavior has lead to pages and pages of posts on this board and elsewhere, that demonstrate peoples continuing endeavor to make better idiots to foil idiotproof marketing ideas.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
And if you are unable to pass a gun safety or marksmanship course, is your right to keep and bear arms forfeited?
No not at all. That isn't what I meant. I mean a class about safe gun handling should be required and proof that you have taken the class, for conceal carry only, not for gun ownership. The class should include marksmanship skills. Passing the background test is all that is needed for ownership, IMO.

Latest Discussions