Is brachial stun effective for real fight

OP
Robert Sterling

Robert Sterling

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your comments. This technique is really cool.
Nothing is more exciting than a one strike knockout.
:)

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it works pretty much every time. It's only useful as a first strike though, you'll never land this if the dude has his hands up.
It could be used in a combo tho. Maybe jab, low round kick, chop to the neck.

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I suggest you practice it a lot on a BOB. It gives you an anatomically correct target that you can strike with force.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be effective. Just don't depend upon it. I teach folks to use it within other movements (as part of a two-handed blocking entry, for instance). If the brachial stun misses, the block is still useful.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might hurt you partner kicking him in the face. But you are still going to do it.

Difference in kicking in the face and attacking nerve.

You damage that nerve and you lose the use of that arm.

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score

You mean, permanently? I have never heard that. Do you have any reference for it?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It can be effective. Just don't depend upon it. I teach folks to use it within other movements (as part of a two-handed blocking entry, for instance). If the brachial stun misses, the block is still useful.

That's how we do it in combatives too. I know people who've made it work in real encounters. It's great to use as a rear attack to help a buddy, much like the scapula strike is. But lots of things work as a surprise attack. It's not likely to work once things are rocking and rolling. I suppose if he drops his hands you could land one like one would a hook or overhand right, impacting with the inside of the forearm.

When they work, it's amazing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That's how we do it in combatives too. I know people who've made it work in real encounters. It's great to use as a rear attack to help a buddy, much like the scapula strike is. But lots of things work as a surprise attack. It's not likely to work once things are rocking and rolling. I suppose if he drops his hands you could land one like one would a hook or overhand right, impacting with the inside of the forearm.

My cousin when he was 8 "karate chopped" a kid in the playground "just like he had seen on TV" who was fighting/wrestling his friend. KOd the kid. My cousin thought he had killed him and then he got suspended. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

In theory it is how you lay on a thai grapple.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. Good job those face kicks never do any damage.
images

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Good job those face kicks never do any damage.
images

But those kicks don't result in surgeries such as nerve grafts, nerve transfers or muscle transfers to restore function of the arm.

Why risk an avulsion or rupture of the nerve?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But those kicks don't result in surgeries such as nerve grafts, nerve transfers or muscle transfers to restore function of the arm.

Why risk an avulsion or rupture of the nerve?

And yet that looks like that kick is targeting the brachial nerve.

Too dangerous to spar?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
And yet that looks like that kick is targeting the brachial nerve.

Too dangerous to spar?

What?

Would it be too dangerous to intentionally target the Brachial Plexus while sparring? Yes. It would be like practicing kicking someone in the spine while sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What?

Would it be too dangerous to intentionally target the Brachial Plexus while sparring? Yes. It would be like practicing kicking someone in the spine while sparring.

Only if it makes their head explode as you suggest.

Which we really only have your word for.

If I can hit a guy in the brachial plexus I will. It is a legal target.

Just for you science boffins behind the ear might be the Vegas nerve. Probably much safer.

Latest Discussions