Is brachial stun effective for real fight

Robert Sterling

White Belt
Reaction score
I have read in a blog that the brachial stun can easily shut a person down with one touch, Do you guy think this technique is effective in a street fight.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can be. Here is a video of a Karate exponent utilizing it on a pimp:

They describe it as a forearm to the chin but it looks like a strike to the neck.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never done it. I always intended to do it to someone but never really had the opportunity.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
As above, you just have to accurate, which can be hard in a dynamic fight. Here is another video...

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a big difference between something working, and being able to pull it off in a "real" fight. A back spinning kick to someone's head is more than likely going to knock that person out, but can you manage such a move when the other person is fighting back?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a big difference between something working, and being able to pull it off in a "real" fight. A back spinning kick to someone's head is more than likely going to knock that person out, but can you manage such a move when the other person is fighting back?

True. In person, I've only seen it work once.....used by a 2nd person coming from behind to help.

I could see it working as a preemptive strike before the fight actually starts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Robert.

A Brachial stun can work quite well, but it's got to be more than a "touch".

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have read in a blog that the brachial stun can easily shut a person down with one touch, Do you guy think this technique is effective in a street fight.
Yes, it works pretty much every time. It's only useful as a first strike though, you'll never land this if the dude has his hands up.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It can be. Here is a video of a Karate exponent utilizing it on a pimp:

They describe it as a forearm to the chin but it looks like a strike to the neck.
It's a good ole fashion "Karate Chop" to the side of the neck. The thing that I like about this video is that the Martial artist didn't wait for the guy to swing on him. He executed his technique first which is how it should be done. Don't wait until the chaos of flying fist begin to try it, because it would only make it more difficult to execute the technique. To be honest the opportunity may not present itself again once fists start flying. Martial Arts gets romanticize too much with "honorable this" and "honorable that." He used his skill exactly the way he was supposed to. Get straight to business and finish it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Arts gets romanticize too much with "honorable this" and "honorable that." He used his skill exactly the way he was supposed to. Get straight to business and finish it.

I agree he did exactly what he should have done. However, I don't think it violated any of the codes of karate that emphasize 'no first strike'. I think that is a very good code, but one that is misunderstood. It does NOT mean you have to stand there and wait for the first punch. It means you don't instigate a fight, you don't 'start' the fight.

The presumed pimp in this case had already come charging at the victim, ready to do violence. That much is quite clear. In most jurisdictions in the US, that's assault, right there. You don't have to wait (in the law or according to any karate codes) for the first punch to be thrown to defend yourself. You have ALREADY been assaulted. Get busy defending yourself; this is what the man did.

I get told all the time by people who do not understand the codes of karate that my style is useless because I have to wait for the first punch. Yeah, no. Somebody comes chest-bumpin' up in my space with their jaw flappin', I'm going to fists immediately, no delays. Doesn't violate any codes that I know of, nor does it violate the law.

Of course, one could say that thankfully due to my training, I might just be able to handle being swung at once; I've been told I'm a pretty good counterpuncher.

"No first strike" doesn't mean I have to wait to get hit. At least not to me. Of course, I get told all the time by various people what it is that I believe, which is amazing considering they don't know me and have zero idea what my training is. I know you and I are of pretty similar mind, so I'm not referring to you, of course.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The issue you have is that it is thrown with the wrong hand. You attack a side that they can cover. And leave open a side they can attack.

So you have to play with a lot of tricky angles to make it work.

I was not a fan of it. But have played with it and there are some places you can use it if your fight goes into a technical exchange.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Affects of being punched in the neck or throat
Punched in the Throat

Chopped in the neck attempt. Good effort bad technique? Good technique not serious effort?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are faking it in that video.

These seem a little more realistic:

If you look at the ranks it's not joking, also the way he drops. If it is a set up, dang good acting. Long story short though it does work, but you need to use it at the right moment. If you force it, it's going to fail.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions