Friend is thinking about martial arts.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aaaaand they said they don't to train with me, because my personality wouldn't let them learn. I am hurt by this but also very confused, I don't know exactly what they meant so I asked them if they could elaborate.

He said I basically am too serious about it and would suck any fun out of the experience. This does concern me because I do eventually want to become a martial arts instructor when I have enough experience. So if I have a personality that "sucks the fun" out of the experience then that would really hurt me as a business owner and in general as an instructor.

People won't come by if they consider me a kill joy and not fun. What sort of personality should a teacher/instructor/coach have for martial arts. Thinking back on mine they have all been very funny and comical people, a bit on the crazy side but definitely often smiling and laughing.

I just am not that sort of person though, I never smile, I smirk at best. Generally people take me for a very serious person, so would I be good instructor material with this personality?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aaaaand they said they don't to train with me, because my personality wouldn't let them learn. I am hurt by this but also very confused, I don't know exactly what they meant so I asked them if they could elaborate.

He said I basically am too serious about it and would suck any fun out of the experience. This does concern me because I do eventually want to become a martial arts instructor when I have enough experience. So if I have a personality that "sucks the fun" out of the experience then that would really hurt me as a business owner and in general as an instructor.

People won't come by if they consider me a kill joy and not fun. What sort of personality should a teacher/instructor/coach have for martial arts. Thinking back on mine they have all been very funny and comical people, a bit on the crazy side but definitely often smiling and laughing.

I just am not that sort of person though, I never smile, I smirk at best. Generally people take me for a very serious person, so would I be good instructor material with this personality?
I think new friends are in order, they want to learn MA but don't want to take it,seriously then blame you for taking it seriously. It's not supposed to be,fun. Its about discipline and dedication if you want fun do Zumba

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, not all instructors make it fun. Three of my first 4 instructors did not, and I still really enjoyed the classes. My primary instructor let some fun happen, but didn't really do much to make it fun, and I really enjoyed it. I probably have more fun as an instructor than almost anyone I've watched or trained under, and it hasn't really helped build my program faster than others. What I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure most folks are looking for an instructor who makes things fun. They want to feel like they are training under an expert, more than they want a buddy.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have friends like that. Don't stress. Find them something good.

That is how to exercise humility.

He is interested in Judo and Taekwondo. So I suggested he choose one because taking both of them will be too expensive for him. I also suggested MMA training since that will give him both a grappling and striking experience.

He is unsure about it, I would suggest the place I train at since it is a hybrid martial art but the traveling would be impractical for him. His goals are mostly weight loss and to get into better shape, but honestly all of those are capable of helping with that.

I pretty much just said take some trail lessons at each one and decide on what you enjoy more.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My take on that is they want to say they're practicing martial arts, but don't want to be serious about it. If you want to be an instructor, you want people who are willing to be serious about it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The only thing you need to be a good instructor beyond martial arts knowledge is the understanding that everyone that you teach isn't there to actually learn how to fight using martial arts. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine. Think of learning martial arts as a journey. Allow students to take that journey.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people just aren't extreme serious and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know if you'd be a good teacher but a good teacher has to be patient and understand the student may not learn a move very quick, something you found very easy may be difficult to someone else

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good attributes for an instructor is patience, effective communication, and understanding.
Just be yourself and immerse yourself in the experience. I have seen some hardcore instructors, and others that are totally the opposite.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing you need to be a good instructor beyond martial arts knowledge is the understanding that everyone that you teach isn't there to actually learn how to fight using martial arts. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine. Think of learning martial arts as a journey. Allow students to take that journey.
What if you only want to teach people who are serious about learning how to fight using martial arts? You probably won't make money, but you'd be a good instructor to those students.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't have to be a bucket of laughs. You do, however, have to be encouraging and generally positive. Positive reinforcement does wonders for people's ability to learn. Learn to say "good job, but let's add this to what you're doing". Works much better than berating people. That will be sufficient.

Incidentally, I think I'm hilarious. My students might not agree, but I don't care to poll them on the issue. :woot:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What if you only want to teach people who are serious about learning how to fight using martial arts? You probably won't make money, but you'd be a good instructor to those students.
I look at martial arts like the branches on a tree. We all start on a different leaf (reason). The reasons for training become similar the longer we travel along the limbs and branches. Eventually we'll reach the trunk at which point Some may only stop at the trunk while others will continue to travel to the root of the martial art system. Some people start on the trunk right away but not many.

But you are right. If you only train people who want to learn how to fight using martial arts then it's possible to still be a good instructor. The person may not make a lot of money but they will be pure in their approach.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is interested in Judo and Taekwondo. So I suggested he choose one because taking both of them will be too expensive for him. I also suggested MMA training since that will give him both a grappling and striking experience.

He is unsure about it, I would suggest the place I train at since it is a hybrid martial art but the traveling would be impractical for him. His goals are mostly weight loss and to get into better shape, but honestly all of those are capable of helping with that.

I pretty much just said take some trail lessons at each one and decide on what you enjoy more.
Reasonable suggestions, all. Don't hold it against him if he ends up being part of the (rather large) group of people who doesn't actually get started. It's not (yet) as important to him as it is to you. Just remember, he's the weird one, not us. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you probably can make money even with that perspective, so long as you understand some of those folks don't start out that way. The really serious instructors I know don't really mind the un-serious students. They teach for the serious ones, and do what they can to help the others.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at martial arts like the branches on a tree. We all start on a different leaf (reason). The reasons for training become similar the longer we travel along the limbs and branches. Eventually we'll reach the trunk at which point Some may only stop at the trunk while others will continue to travel to the root of the martial art system. Some people start on the trunk right away but not many.

But you are right. If you only train people who want to learn how to fight using martial arts then it's possible to still be a good instructor. The person may not make a lot of money but they will be pure in their approach.
Don Angier (Yanagi-ryu) seemed to take that approach. He only ever taught about 6-10 students at a time, and never (to my knowledge) anyone new to MA.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was advised to put little pressure on beginners and teach them just a bit each time. So they can have fun and keep 'hungry' for more. For the advanced ones, it was a really serious thing. So they (and me) drop out, often. Pheraps it was too much. :)

I think you can be serious when it becomes serious to them and when they are really attached to training and/or style.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was advised to put little pressure on beginners and teach them just a bit each time. So they can have fun and keep 'hungry' for more. For the advanced ones, it was a really serious thing. So they (and me) drop out, often. Pheraps it was too much. :)

I think you can be serious when it becomes serious to them and when they are really attached to training and/or style.
I have learned to - to some extent - let the student's interests drive what I teach. If a student is really interested in striking, I teach them more striking. If they aren't committed to hard training, they get a softer version of the training (and will probably take longer to meet standards for rank).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I know guys like that. Go somewhere like team alpha male with a lax attitude and you will get bashed. They turn out good fighters but it is not for everyone.

Latest Discussions