Intro Lessons

T

tonbo

Out of curiosity.......does your school offer introductory lessons, or do you just bring people right into class? If you use introductory lessons, what things do you go over in the lessons?

As an example:

At our school, introductory lessons are two individual lessons. In the first, we discuss discipline and respect with the prospective student, and show them how those two aspects are utilized through stances and addressing other students ("Mr.", "Mrs.", "Ms."......"Yes, sir/No, sir/Yes, ma'am/No,ma'am"). We also go over a basic punch (snap punch) and a basic kick (front snap kick). If the student has studied martial arts before, we will teach them one of the basic techniques for yellow belt. This has all taken about 20-25 minutes.

At the end of the first lesson, we schedule a time for the second lesson. During the second lesson, we review the material discussed in the first lesson. At that point, we also award the student their white belt. Finally, we discuss enrollment, including all the class times and how they want to pay for lessons, etc. This lesson is *always* set up to be completed just before a white belt class begins. That way, when the paperwork is done and everything is arranged, the student can jump right into their first actual group class.

All of this is a *real* stripped down version of the actual classes, of course, but it is just meant to raise the question.

How do you guys do it?

Peace--

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

:jediduel:
I use a five private lesson introduction.

In these lessons I go over the Dojo rules, customs, and proceedures used at this location.
I teach the bacics needed to actively particape in group classes so the student will be able to "fit in" right away.
I teach up to 4 of the 16 self defense techniques I require for yellow belt. ( for more details on my requirements visit my web site at http://americankenpo2000.tripod.com/akkcmembers/ )
This gives me an opportunity to evaluate the news student's attitude, ability and interest. This gives me a better idea as to whether to except this student and what type of training program to suggest that best fits his/her needs.

OP
K

Kirk

My instructor gives a free week which is 4 kenpo lessons, and one
"stick n' knife" class. It's pretty much a normal class, if there's
white belts in attendance. Otherwise he'll take them aside on
their own. He also gives them a taste of what it's like. The
calisthenics are a bit rougher when there's a new guy, and he
has them block and throw punches which sting somewhat. It's
a good introduction to what class can be like.

OP
R

Rainman

Neophytes are on the floor right away but are seperated until they get basic foot manuevers, stances, strikes and a few teks. Don't want them to develope too many bad habits before they really get going. Couple a months (depending on experience) they are right in with the rest of the animals.

:asian:

OP
F

fanged_seamus

When I started taking kenpo a few years ago, the studio offered two intro lessons that covered some essential basics (neutral bows, the five primary blocks, punches and kicks) and three techniques (Delayed Sword, Sword of Destruction, and Sword and Hammer). The intro lessons also were used to teach the basic etiquette of our studio (no cursing :cuss: , bow in respect when you enter or exit the training area :asian: ).

After those intro lessons, the students are merged into the main class, but get a LOT of individualized attention until they are comfortable with the other students and methods of instruction.

IMO, the system works pretty well, and the other students were always very friendly and helpful to the new students.

Tad

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I used to give away vouchers for 2 weeks free as an introductory course. It seemed to work fine for me and I really enjoyed the enthusiam youwould see from the new people after they relaxed a little

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am a personal believer in the 'free first month' intro offer for students. For the majority of the time the potential student will be working with everyone else. However, on his/her first class I take them to the side and teach them basic escapes from wrist grabs and a looping overhead roundhouse kick.

I teach the escapes because they work without much effort. I realize that a lot of people will go home to their family excited about what they learn and want to demonstrate it. If it is an even moderately sophisticated technique it will fail because neither they nor their uke is acting right and they will lose confidence in the class.

I teach the roundhouse kick because it is fairly easy to learn and they will both give and recieve this kick in class so that they are introduced to light contact because unlike any other studio in my area, we use light to moderate contact.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We just let poeple come in and start. And we take it from there.
Some schools I've been to had their own beginner classes, but even there, it was a question of just meeting to class and starting.

/Yari

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I offer the first class for free, then let them decide if they are comfortable joining the group class or would prefer to have the 3 private lesson package. Vast majority sign up for class that night, lose a few, and a few want the privates.

-Michael B.
UKS-Texas

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used the 3 lesson intro for $ 19.95 and on occasion we give the 1st lesson free especially if a student brings in a friend.... then we sign them up....

:asian:

Latest Discussions