Internal Power of Martial Arts (Breathing Technique)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There is a strong tendency to rationalize our decisions after they are made, so I can see where you're coming from on this. I suppose it depends upon whether people bring their own natural skepticism or not.
It's about teaching to the test and controlling outcomes. The key is to associate one thing with another so that they become synonymous. This is a common tactic in politics and martial arts.

In martial arts, it's this idea that if you can do X then you can do Y. I think we should stick to, if you can do X, then you can do X.

The problem occurs with styles that don't have a vehicle for application. They don't have an apples to apples option, because there is never any actual application. People just don't move out of the laboratory.

Competitive styles offer application. Is this the answer to everything? Of course not. But it provides very specific feedback on application.

I mentioned in another thread (I think) that a friend of mine used to own a magic store. He's pretty good and has shown me several magic tricks over the years. I can't do any of them convincingly, even though I know how. I've practiced them. I have had expert instruction. He can do them, so I know that they work. What's the difference between him and me?
Only to create a strawman argument of what he claims others have stated.
Oh, come on, man. It's not a strawman. He's making a point you disagree with. That's not a strawman. It's just disagreement. We see this all the time around here. People jumping on anyone they perceive as an MMA or BJJ nuthugger.

The reality is that if Hanzou or Drop Bear had taken an critical position on these videos, some of the folks around here would have jumped to its defense just because

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, come on, man. It's not a strawman. He's making a point you disagree with. That's not a strawman. It's just disagreement. We see this all the time around here. People jumping on anyone they perceive as an MMA or BJJ nuthugger.

The reality is that if Hanzou or Drop Bear had taken an critical position on these videos, some of the folks around here would have jumped to its defense just because
Actually, much of his commentary here has been directed at arguments I made previously about the nature of evidence. And, yes, he created a strawman argument (asserting that I'd say we have to accept an art's efficacy because we can't see evidence of the training that didn't get recorded).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
t's about teaching to the test and controlling outcomes. The key is to associate one thing with another so that they become synonymous. This is a common tactic in politics and martial arts.

In martial arts, it's this idea that if you can do X then you can do Y. I think we should stick to, if you can do X, then you can do X.

The problem occurs with styles that don't have a vehicle for application. They don't have an apples to apples option, because there is never any actual application. People just don't move out of the laboratory.

Competitive styles offer application. Is this the answer to everything? Of course not. But it provides very specific feedback on application.

I mentioned in another thread (I think) that a friend of mine used to own a magic store. He's pretty good and has shown me several magic tricks over the years. I can't do any of them convincingly, even though I know how. I've practiced them. I have had expert instruction. He can do them, so I know that they work. What's the difference between him and me?
As you and I have discussed before, I don't disagree with this position. Competition is one way to bring practice to application. It's not my favorite, though I see some distinct advantages in it. Because I don't personally care for it - either for myself or as a training tool for what I teach - I don't use it. I've helped students in the past develop application for competition, but it's pretty far from the application we train for, so we have to find other ways to get as close to true application as we can (almost always an impossibility for self-defense to get to true application in training).

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmmm. Didn't you just post this yesterday?

That isn't calling anyone a nuthugger. I'm simply pointing out the fact that dropbear doesn't seem to value anything that is not commonly found in mma.

Is it not true?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That isn't calling anyone a nuthugger. I'm simply pointing out the fact that dropbear doesn't seem to value anything that is not commonly found in mma.

Is it not true?
Lol. I am genuinely not sure of you're joking or actually don't understand.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol. I am genuinely not sure of you're joking or actually don't understand.

What is there to not understand? I asked you when anyone was called a nuthugger and you quoted me, a post where I did not call anyone a nuthugger.

So the question of "when was anyone called a nuthugger?" Still never has been answered.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Is it not true?

No It is a big bag of lies. people just say it a lot to make gullible people believe it

And yes that is exactly like calling someone a nut hugger.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, much of his commentary here has been directed at arguments I made previously about the nature of evidence. And, yes, he created a strawman argument (asserting that I'd say we have to accept an art's efficacy because we can't see evidence of the training that didn't get recorded).

At which point you start doing back flips.

Your arguments are not consistant.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
No It is a big bag of lies. people just say it a lot to make gullible people believe it

o_O and what exactly am I trying to get people to believe here? That you like MMA over "TMA"? I don't even have to try to do that, you do that yourself by what you post here of your own free will.

And yes that is exactly like calling someone a nut hugger.

No it isn't, it is saying you prefer MMA and do not value "TMA". Calling you a nuthugger would be saying "Dropbear is a nuthugger" which I never did.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this has been an education, I have never heard of 'nuthugger' before so had to look it up after which I was thinking 'wow! people are calling each other this on MT' I mean really? Urban Dictionary: nut huggers

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What is there to not understand? I asked you when anyone was called a nuthugger and you quoted me, a post where I did not call anyone a nuthugger.

So the question of "when was anyone called a nuthugger?" Still never has been answered.
I think you're putting me on now. I don't believe you're not able to track how that term applies to what you said.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you're putting me on now. I don't believe you're not able to track how that term applies to what you said.

You are reading what you want to see, rather then read what is actually there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Nuthugger: an individual who worships another individual; mark, fanboy/fangirl.

I'm a little surprised by the mock outrage going on. I can't believe that crass people like tez3 are genuinely concerned about her delicate, virgin ears.

I also can't believe that some of you are denying you have dismissed people who disagree with you as fanboys or something similar. If the idea of a synonym is beyond you, there is no hope.

Latest Discussions