Interesting Video And Blog Post....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I came across this video from the following blog:

From Mike Casto's blog: Have Langkah Will Travel

Now the video may be staged or fake I am not sure. I do know that when teaching or training it is unpleasant for
everyone when you have a non-compliant person working with you when you are practicing technique. (ie. not rolling, sparring, etc.)
There is a time to relax and train and allow someone to perform a technique on you and there is a time to offer
resistance training during submission grappling, rolling and yes in other two person drills when directed too. Being a good
partner during the learning process is always important! One thing is for sure you do not want to pull this kind of stuff
on certain old school martial practitioner's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blue belt is instructor level now? :hmm:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Staged, these guys have several videos of one or the other 'demonstrating' and getting into altercations.

Agree that having someone act in this manner when presenting a move / technique for others to learn or having a partner who does the same during the learning stage is unpleasant for everyone.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another thought provoking article, thank you. Reminds me of a situation years back in Aikido where we didn't have coloured belts. I was about 2nd Kyu and with many years Karate behind me. We had a black belt I hadn't trained with before came into our class and when we paired up, went to do the exercise we had been given. When I allowed him to move without resistance he asked me to hold harder, so I increased the tension a little. This time he rudely told me to "hold hard", so I did, with a similar result as in the video. Eventually I went with him, but although we weren't using atemi he conclusively demonstrated his inability to perform the technique against total resistance. In this case he asked for it! But the sting in the tail was when my turn came and straight off I told him "hold hard" and promptly executed the technique. Moral of the story, don't assume a white belt is a white belt. Respect your partner and what they are trying to do.

When an instructor is teaching, they're not using real force, and they're not softening up with strikes or other tenderizers. They're illustrating a technique and explaining the methodology and mechanics. At this stage of training, an uke offering resistance or trying to counter is ridiculous. No one will learn anything.
I think there are times for all of us when a partner has resisted the technique we are demonstrating. How it is handled depends on the maturity of the instructor.
:asian:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in the day (ie. way back) most teaching was done by blue belts with Gracie Academy association instructors coming
around regularly to check up and make sure quality was up. When I started my instructor was a Blue Belt II stripe. (there
were about 3 of them a the academy) Of course it also took about two and a half to three and a half years just to get a Blue Belt which
is far different than the average now! This was in the Metro Detroit area so it was not an underrepresented or small area.
However, this was the best place in all of Metro Detroit and still is the premier place for Brazilian Jiujitsu and Muay Thai.
Caique regularly came in about every three months. With Roiker, Royce, Royler, etc. also rolling through yearly. I new a guy
that stayed at Blue Belt II Stripe for two and a half years or more. (one guy didn't make it to the seminars were you could
get rank) I have not met a Purple Belt recently that he would not have destroyed. Very different than now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back in the day (ie. way back) most teaching was done by blue belts with Gracie Academy association instructors coming
around regularly to check up and make sure quality was up. When I started my instructor was a Blue Belt II stripe. (there
were about 3 of them a the academy) Of course it also took about two and a half to three and a half years just to get a Blue Belt which
is far different than the average now! This was in the Metro Detroit area so it was not an underrepresented or small area.
However, this was the best place in all of Metro Detroit and still is the premier place for Brazilian Jiujitsu and Muay Thai.
Caique regularly came in about every three months. With Roiker, Royce, Royler, etc. also rolling through yearly. I new a guy
that stayed at Blue Belt II Stripe for two and a half years or more. (one guy didn't make it to the seminars were you could
get rank) I have not met a Purple Belt recently that he would not have destroyed. Very different than now.

Our MMA coach is a blue.

Latest Discussions