Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some interesting reading
I may not agree with all that is said but it is a good article
Agreed.

"Lie #7" is a bit convoluted and covers more than one point making it difficult to address as anything but two topics - but I HAVE to agree with the assessment that the old adage "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" just *doesn't* *quite* *cover* your entire rear structure when it comes to using a blade in self-defense and then having to justify your actions to a jury in a criminal court case - nor will it save your posterior while you await your "fair" trial in prison. There's a LOT MORE TO it.

Just one thing that I agreed with that jumped out at me ....

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually agree with almost all of that (will wonders never cease...:D)

There are a couple of things that could have used a little more explanation (or maybe my ideas are just a little different). For example, in Myth #10 "grappling with a knifer," I definately agree that you don't want to be in a grappling match with someone who has a knife. I also agree that a knife may be a great way to save your butt in a groundfighting situation. However, I don't think people should assume that because they have a knife, they don't have to worry about the unbelievable damage that can be inflicted by a good grappler (especially if the grappler is a G&P artist). If you fixate too much on trying to play with your knife, he's going to beat your head into jelly.

Overall though, I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed seeing his reference to Don Pentecost's book (Put 'em Down, Take 'em Out), as he says, it pisses off a lot of "martial-artists" but it contains a goldmine of information. I recommend reading it if you can find a copy.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually agree with almost all of that (will wonders never cease...:D)
I enjoyed seeing his reference to Don Pentecost's book (Put 'em Down, Take 'em Out), as he says, it pisses off a lot of "martial-artists" but it contains a goldmine of information. I recommend reading it if you can find a copy.

Sounds like a good book. I followed the link to Amazon and the books go for between 180 and 200 bucks. Im sorry but for a 64 page book that is ****ing ridiculous.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like a good book. I followed the link to Amazon and the books go for between 180 and 200 bucks. Im sorry but for a 64 page book that is ****ing ridiculous.

Cheers
I'm in the wrong business. Anyone want a 3 page leaflet for $30?:bs:

Honestly, though, the cost of text books for a college student are just as outrageous. Just depends on what folks are willing to pay for the product. Ain't capitalism grand?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cheers

It must be out of print...I paid $8 for my copy back in 2004. You might google search and see if there's a PDF copy floating around anywhere.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Cheers

Wow, thats nuts.

Anyone want to buy my copy for a mere $100?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with what the man says basically. If you use a knife, the cops and courts are not going to be friendly. ( at least in the USA and most western country's. the judge or jury tend to see it as a sneaky weapon and some how criminals only use them.) the other thing is its not going to be easy or safe to even begin to take a knife away from some one on the street who wants to kill you! and the best thing is to put something solid between you and them and run.. or if you see the knife first and have a gun shoot them!.. but run is a good thing if you have enough space to prevent a stab in the back.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, VERY true stuffs about knife fighing and defence! We all practice in a comfortable and safe place with NO fear of actual chance of being stab or cut with a real knife....and intensity of an attacter. (in the practice hall)

When facing a REAL sitution with real knife? ....NOT especting a knife too? ....best to run and escape out of there!

All those knife self-defense training/moves/tectniques goes out the window...because ONE WRONG MOVE....NO second chance!

Thank-you for sharing that article....this one should be share with everyone who is learning anything about knife fighting and knife defense.

Aloha ( first choice is to escape/run!)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can always find something to agree with in a Marc MacYoung article.
You can always find something that pegs the BS meter in a Marc MacYoung article.

And that, as Martha Stewart says, is a Good Thing.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can always find something to agree with in a Marc MacYoung article.
You can always find something that pegs the BS meter in a Marc MacYoung article.

And that, as Martha Stewart says, is a Good Thing.
Yeah, I'd agree that it's a good thing. It drives debate and discourse.

& yet, he loves teh S!L4T...
L33t speak will get ya flogged, mister!:mad:

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing that struck me as something to take away regardless of knives or not was the idea that some people survived not because of their art or maybe even their skill but simply a willingness to survive.

Never having been in that situation, it's a challenge to me to wonder if, given the situation, could I be strong willed enough... maybe vicious enough.. to not hold back....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In which regard I alwasy discuss this when talking about knfie defense:

In late 1999 [Beatle George] Harrison survived a knife attack by an intruder in his home, which in some ways mirrored John Lennon's murder. On the evening of 30 December 1999, Michael Abram broke into the Harrisons' Friar Park home in Henley-on-Thames and stabbed George multiple times, ultimately puncturing his lung. Harrison and his wife, Olivia, fought the intruder and detained him for the police.

martialartspeon

White Belt
Reaction score
Damn way to go George! That article was a good read. I must say the school I'm at often trains in defanging . . . of course running away is always the first emphasis.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Latest Discussions