Instructor job

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Iowa State University is hiring a Taekwondo/Judo/Hapkido Instructor as a faculty position. www.iastatejobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=83213
Seems like most people who want to be an instructor either have to start their own school, or work their way through the ranks within their own studio. I just thought I'd share since it seems like the kind of opportunity that someone would really like to have a chance at.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting requirements. 2nd Dan in Judo, Hapkido and TKD. Ran into something like this once before. It was a way to get a work visa since only certain special someones, often from outside the USA had such credentials and coincidentally were ready to apply for the job.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They are advertising so that they can legally show that there are no "qualified candidates"/applicants here. Necessary for work visa. Relatively low ranks except for judo.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of the people with that on their resume are called 'Grand Master' of their organization, presumably making a lot more money.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting requirements. 2nd Dan in Judo, Hapkido and TKD. Ran into something like this once before. It was a way to get a work visa since only certain special someones, often from outside the USA had such credentials and coincidentally were ready to apply for the job.

That's a legit job that has opened up because Grandaster Yong Chin Park, one of the pioneers of university taekwondo in the U.S is retiring from ISU. You can read a little about him here:http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/cyclonemartialartsclub/tkd/about_us.htm. It's actually surprising they are looking for such low ranks for his replacement. My guess is that they already have a replacement and are advertising the job as a formality. Here's more about GM Pak: http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_161f5d96-89e1-11e2-89ce-001a4bcf887a.html

Last edited:

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of the people with that on their resume are called 'Grand Master' of their organization, presumably making a lot more money.

I don't know a lot of 2nd Dans called Grand Master. Though Judo, TKD and HKD do seem like an unusual combination.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Looks like a very common combination to me. Lots of Korean masters I know have high rank in all three. Remember Judo was the only empty-hand art widely and legally practiced in Korea during the Japanese occupation, and that left a strong legacy.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a legit job that has opened up because Grandaster Yong Chin Park, one of the pioneers of university taekwondo in the U.S is retiring from ISU. You can read a little about him

They are always legit jobs. The requirements are tailored to a certain type of candidate. (Probably one all set to apply). See post #3.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
They are always legit jobs. The requirements are tailored to a certain type of candidate. (Probably one all set to apply). See post #3.

I saw Master Smith's post just after I posted mine. The candidate in question is most probably already here in the U.S, is a citizen or permanet resident and, or has other papers. H-IB work visas, I know from experience, are rarely issued for 9-month contracts, especially taking into account the number of applicants for those visasa, and cost of application, often borne by the employer.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like a very common combination to me. Lots of Korean masters I know have high rank in all three. Remember Judo was the only empty-hand art widely and legally practiced in Korea during the Japanese occupation, and that left a strong legacy.

Very true. My GM was belted in Hapkido (GM), TKD (5th Dan), Kumdo (1st Dan), and would have belted in Judo except for having his should broken just before his test. When it healed, he continue in one of the other arts.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

That's interesting - I hadn't heard that before. Good to know. I guess I just assumed that Korean guys wouldn't bother with Judo, because when I've seen people in the US do multiple styles it seems like usually they stick to styles from the same country. Taekwondo and hapkido, karate and judo, that kind of thing.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My friend Nelson posted similar ad (bjj) when he wanted to hire assistant. Nobody applied so his friend got the visa.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's interesting - I hadn't heard that before. Good to know. I guess I just assumed that Korean guys wouldn't bother with Judo, because when I've seen people in the US do multiple styles it seems like usually they stick to styles from the same country. Taekwondo and hapkido, karate and judo, that kind of thing.

Yong-In University was originally founded as Korea Judo College. Koreans refer to Judo as Yudo and it's very popular in Korea. Yong-In only offers degrees in two pure martial art styles - Taekwondo and Judo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yong_In_University

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yong-In University was originally founded as Korea Judo College. Koreans refer to Judo as Yudo and it's very popular in Korea. Yong-In only offers degrees in two pure martial art styles - Taekwondo and Judo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yong_In_University
The degree would be sport science, kinesiology or physical education. I know many from Korea with these degrees. They also study Yong Moo Do, a hybrid of tkd/hkd/yd.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

2nd Dan in Judo is a very legit Judoka with a lot of experience and a lot of competition success, generally speaking. In order to get nidan in Judo without a lot of shiai wins, one must be a very knowledgable Judoka. Not so with KKW Taekwondo, honestly. I'm a KKW second dan and while I consider myself a fairly good Taekwondoin, I do not have extensive competition wins or anywhere close to an encyclopedic knowledge I'd expect from a Judo 2nd Dan. I'm a relatively average adult Taekwondo 2nd Dan in my experience as well. I'm a green belt (sankyu/3rd Kyu) in Judo. IMHO speaking purely from my standpoint, Judo 2nd Dan is more akin to 3rd dan Taekwondo as far as knowledge and experience goes.

This isn't a commentary on either martial art, just on my experiences of what they expect from black belts. I love both and always will.