inner/outer forearm blocks

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the ITF standard is there a difference in chambers for these blocks?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the ITF standard is there a difference in chambers for these blocks?
Most definitely. Inner forearn Blocking arm chambers farther from your body also called "On the outside" with Blocking fist knuckles facing you (So it rotates as it reaches the final position and Outer forearm Chambers closer to you / inside with palm toward you so it rotates. Note that there are exceptions to the "Standard" chamber. Basically the Little finger side of the arm is the outside and thumb side is inside and when striking with the side of the hand the chamber follows the same rule.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most definitely. Inner forearn Blocking arm chambers farther from your body also called "On the outside" with Blocking fist knuckles facing you (So it rotates as it reaches the final position and Outer forearm Chambers closer to you / inside with palm toward you so it rotates. Note that there are exceptions to the "Standard" chamber. Basically the Little finger side of the arm is the outside and thumb side is inside and when striking with the side of the hand the chamber follows the same rule.

Is the blocking hand on top or bottom during the chamber?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tell students they can remember how to chamber like this . "Outer starts with the letter "O". "On Top" starts with the letter "O" so if it's "outer" it starts "On Top" . "Innner " doesn't start with "O" so it does not start on top. Also, while I will have to think about it, Their really is only one block (Open and closed hand variations (inner / reverse Knifehand,) that starts under. All the rest are on top.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I tell students they can remember how to chamber like this . "Outer starts with the letter "O". "On Top" starts with the letter "O" so if it's "outer" it starts "On Top" . "Innner " doesn't start with "O" so it does not start on top. Also, while I will have to think about it, Their really is only one block (Open and closed hand variations (inner / reverse Knifehand,) that starts under. All the rest are on top.

Is there a textbook reason why it's on top?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not believe there is a stated reason in the text. FWIW I asked General Choi (1996 Technical Conference - Canada) why his system chambered the rising outer forearm block on top when many chambered under and his answer was to have a consistent system. Outer forearm - Low, Rising, High, (With exception) chamber on top. Now for those who subscribe to alternate application theories or the theory about standard methodologies giving rise to certain habits which facilitate utilitarian value if for instance there were a same side wrist grab, the low block could be used to crash down on the grabbing arm (Radial Nerve area preferred) or as a foreram strike to the head.

Latest Discussions