Information Behind Siu Lim Tao

WC-Sam

White Belt
Reaction score
As the title says, I'd like to know all of the information behind Siu Lim Tao.
Everything from, why you Fut Sau, what it means, and how it's used outside of the form, to the double Tan Sau. Every possible piece of information that their is to be known on the moves featured in Siu Lim Tao.

Aswell as the fundamentals of SLT. e.g Training your root, chi energy etc.

Ofcourse I understand, that their may or may not be certain moves featured in my lineage.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everything from, why you Fut Sau, what it means, and how it's used outside of the form, to the double Tan Sau. Every possible piece of information that their is to be known on the moves featured in Siu Lim Tao.

Ofcourse I understand, that their may or may not be certain moves featured in my lineage.

Thanks for any input!

You don't want much do ya ?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for any input!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you kidding? Explaining good sil lim tao in depth-is a long process.
joy chaudhuri

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for any input!
Sounds like what you want is a teacher, and several years of training. Maybe you need to rephrase what you're after? Are you looking to discuss some of the ideas and principles in Siu Lim Tao? Maybe you ought to pick one to start with, and offer your understanding of it, so that others can respond to that.

Reaction score
WC Sam - first line of information should have been available through your teacher ... if you are not getting the information which you seek, look for another teacher.

Here are couple links may give you what you are looking for:

http://ewingchun.com/sifu-sergio-presents-sifu-david-peterson-teaching-malaysia-part-2-siu-nim-tau-1

Links are nice and informative, as far as the OP goes if you want to study it(by it i Mean WT) , Then you should know that , it won't happen overnight and it won't be as smooth as you would like it to be , it will require time , patience and alot of hard work and/or Dedication , You will have to practice hard and incase you don't have a partner you should get one , things are alot easier when you have a partner , If you want details For some other use then there are countless videos and articles available online ...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

WC-Sam

White Belt
Reaction score
Ahah, I certainly am asking for alot.

I want to know specific things, I want to understand Siu Lim Tao inside out.
I can ask certain things to my teacher, which I already have done, although it's hard to get all in the info during a 1 hour lesson.

If someone can explain to me things such as the economy of motion, internal and external energy, stuff like that, the purposes of Siu Lim Tao.
Aswell as why you do certain things, I know I'll have to ask my Sifu, but I came here to try and get any extra information that will help me in the learning process.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
seriously, this is something that you can only understand thru study with a good instructor, and a whole lot of practice.

It is both unreasonable and inappropriate to expect this kind of information over the internet. It's not possible to convey in this manner. There are no quick answers nor easy solutions that will enlighten you.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
answer.png

Sorry, couldn't resist... I'll go now :D

OP
W

WC-Sam

White Belt
Reaction score
It is both unreasonable and inappropriate to expect this kind of information over the internet.

I only wanted to know simplistic things.

For example.

Siu Lim Tao teaches you about training your root, internal chi energy etc etc.
Tan Sau is used to protect your upper outer gate etc.

I didn't think it was too demanding?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are a couple of old sayings regarding SNT and the stance itself....start here and practice about 1000 times.
In doing so, you'll answer a lot of your own questions

Sink the elbow and drop the shoulders; Guarding the centerline to protect both flanks

Form a pyramid with the center of gravity in the center

Sink the elbows, the shoulders, and the waist

Push your feet to the ground and press your head to the sky

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

For example.

but that kind of thing has no meaning on a superficial level.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ahah, I certainly am asking for alot.

I want to know specific things, I want to understand Siu Lim Tao inside out.
I can ask certain things to my teacher, which I already have done, although it's hard to get all in the info during a 1 hour lesson.

If someone can explain to me things such as the economy of motion, internal and external energy, stuff like that, the purposes of Siu Lim Tao.
As well as why you do certain things
, I know I'll have to ask my Sifu, but I came here to try and get any extra information that will help me in the learning process.

Have you the chance to watch the video links that I've posted? It may not be of your WC linage ... the core of the WC concepts and principles are the same. How about watch the vids and than post of what you have learn from it ... it would be interesting to see your take on it.

As been voiced by others, the first person you needed to go to is your teacher, this forum can only supplement, the explaination of things you seek has to be shown ... as by your teacher or others with the knowledge to do so, we really can't spare the time or efforts to write an long and drawn out post and still not able to fully give you that big picture you are looking for.

You really wanted to learn? Stay after class and bug the hell out of your teacher ... may he/she would show more of the inner workings of Sil Lim Tao just to get you out of their hair ... it had worked for me.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As the title says, I'd like to know all of the information behind Siu Lim Tao....

I find this question more than a little ironic. In the WT lineage I came from, we call this form Siu Nim Tau or "Little Idea Form". Part of the meaning of this title is that the student should try to maintain a "little idea" in his head and cultivate patience while focusing on getting the basics deeply ingrained... rather than having a "big idea" and wanting to know everything at once. Something worth thinking about.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
So much of the form is a voyage of self discovery anyway , a journey that only you can take .

The form is teaching you how your own body operates , while a persons arms and legs can be put in roughly the correct positions , the height of the stance and the optimum angles of the arms are unique to the individual and must be found out through constant practice of the form.

As far as applications go , they are limitless , even if somehow through some type of vulcan mindmeld I was able to transfer every application that I know of into your brain , it wouldn't help you much because you haven't been through the training of the form in order to make them work.

Just do as Geezer says and work on your foundation , you have enough to think about already without trying to jump ahead and get to the later stuff.

Keep practising the form diligently and it will gradually reveal it's secrets to you as you forge ahead in your own personal training voyage.

There will be plenty of setbacks and mistakes for sure , but you will return again and again to the form for guidance and like a beacon in the darkness it will put you back on the right path.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score

For example.

Very. You can find threads in the forum, google is a good tool and speaking with your sifu. No disrespect intended but another Harris :)

OP
W

WC-Sam

White Belt
Reaction score
Here are a couple of old sayings regarding SNT and the stance itself....start here and practice about 1000 times.
In doing so, you'll answer a lot of your own questions

Sink the elbow and drop the shoulders; Guarding the centerline to protect both flanks

Form a pyramid with the center of gravity in the center

Sink the elbows, the shoulders, and the waist

Push your feet to the ground and press your head to the sky

Thanks, But I know how to do the form, I can 'execute/perform/do/' Siu Lim Tao quite well.
As of yet, this has been the most helpful, thanks.

I'm forever staying behind in class and asking a tonne of questions, as well as asking if my form is correct in terms of movement.

but that kind of thing has no meaning on a superficial level.

How can it have no meaning? What use to me is knowing the form if I can't dissect it and know the name and correct application of it outside the form?

I get the idea most of you think I'm asking for a word depicted explanation on how to properly Bong Sau or something, Im not.

I just thought as this a forum for Wing Chun, you'd be able to help me with the basic functions of certain moves. Not in depth, but explaining to me why you Huen Sau, or something like that.

Here are couple links may give you what you are looking for:

http://ewingchun.com/sifu-sergio-pre...-siu-nim-tau-1

Going to watch these now, thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So -- Take a move. How do YOU use it? Throw out your interpretation and understanding, and let others add theirs.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

How can it have no meaning? What use to me is knowing the form if I can't dissect it and know the name and correct application of it outside the form?

It does have meaning. It's just that it is a deeper meaning than can be adequately conveyed thru a quick forum like this. Just hearing the words doesn't give it meaning. Digging deeper, over time, will bring the meaning out and THEN the words will make sense. But that takes time and work and a good teacher.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks, But I know how to do the form, I can 'execute/perform/do/' Siu Lim Tao quite well.
As of yet, this has been the most helpful, thanks.

I'm forever staying behind in class and asking a tonne of questions, as well as asking if my form is correct in terms of movement.

I get the idea most of you think I'm asking for a word depicted explanation on how to properly Bong Sau or something, Im not.

I just thought as this a forum for Wing Chun, you'd be able to help me with the basic functions of certain moves. Not in depth, but explaining to me why you Huen Sau, or something like that.

Going to watch these now, thankyou.

I Huen Sau because I have ended up on the outside of his arm and I want to get on the inside of his arm to hit him.

I can use Huen Sau to break out of wrist grabs by circling either to the inside or the outside depending on the type of grab.

I can defend myself with one arm against someone throwing a straight punch at my face by intercepting with a Tan Sau , then cutting down slightly with the same arm , then circling to the inside of the arm with Huen Sau then striking the lower ribcage/ kidneys with a side palm strike .

I can use Huen Sau to deflect a low straight punch to the gut or groin.

I can use two Huen Sau's at the same to redirect a low double strike or attempted waist grab , with a slight step back and then step back in and double palm strike them in the lower midsection.

That's just a few of them , for more applications you will have to purchase my upcoming five volume set of Dvd's titled HUEN SAU FOR DUMMIES for the amazing low price of only $850.99 available at all good DVD stockists (and some bad ones too)

Latest Discussions