Influence in training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What was the biggest influence that really started your training and who has really keeped you going though all the rough spot during your journey?

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My biggest influence when I started 20 years ago was my father. He has a 1st Dan in ACK and started teaching me when I was younger. My mother wanted me in something less "dangerous", so she enrolled me in TKD. I loved the art and continued with it until I left for the Army. I was out of it for almost ten years until I got back into it this past past September, and for that I have to thank my girlfriend and her son. He started at the dojang almost a year ago, and it rekindled the feelings that I had for it. Finding that it was a traditional dojang, not a sport TKD dojang, made it that much easier to get back in.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, the biggest influence that started my training years agoqwas bullies. Tied of getting picked on, I decided I needed to learn to kick butt (didn't learn to do that though...not right then at least).

What kept me training? Some good teachers (Particularly Sensei Cathy Crane of the Agatsu Dojo in Stratford, NJ) who taught me that MA study was more than jsut kicking butt and could be a lifelong journey.

I credit my kids for getting me into TKD and being my inspiration and training partners along the way in recent years.

Peace,
Erik

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No question, my instructor. He is the reason I am where I am today. Even today, his depth of knowledge and experience continues to amaze me. If I could be half the instructor he is I'd be doing pretty good. I literally feel energized just being in the same room with him.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My biggest influences are, the of course, the instructors. But beyond that I think that the environment in my training hall has kept me motivated. We all work hard and still manage to have a good time. I also think that we all, honestly, try to help each other become better, which benefits the school as a whole.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I always was the little boy of mom, I was the fisrt child (for some years) and developed a nice relationship with my mom so the boys in the hood bullied me, my father saw this and tooked me into judo classes by the age of 8, I was a very scary boy and only got a yellow belt in judo. Then in highschool I was bullied a coupled of times however I think this was not the reason for training a MA.

I think I wanted to have control, I mean to have the capacity of control (not to hurt) one or two oponentes if need it and I loveed MA techniques to control BG so I begin TKD back in 1983, TKD also gave control in the teen years, gave balance and confidence and helped to stay away of drugs and alcohol.

Chuck Norris was a good influence on me in those years, I saw almost all of his movies, he was simply "Marvelous Super Star Chuck Norris" and he practiced TSD some kind of TKD so he was a Big role in my youth.

These days my influece has no changed, I still like the control and the coolness of MA and love them, any one. A yes I had and have wonderful sambunims.

Manny

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My biggest influence with out a doubt were my instructors. I think some instructors forget how influential they are to they're students. An instructor can make or break a student.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, what influenced me to start when I was a young boy was Bruce Lee.
icon10.gif
I just got mesmerized by what I saw on the movie screen. As I got older just my own drive and love of the arts kept me going. Now that I am old and have kids of my own it are the kids that keep me going now. I do what I do as an example for them. Plus I have to see how long I can stay on top of them. I know that some day they will best me in everything but until that day comes I keep pushing to stay on top.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just the crossover benefits. I actually played better team sports in high school because I trained MA. Now I'm experiencing the longevity benefits as I get older. I believe my bones/muscles/joints are retaining more of their suppleness and flexibility and strength and this can only be a good thing as I move into my sixties.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My biggest reason for beginning to train would probably have to be getting picked on at school. Not physically, but the threat was always there. I wanted a way to not just feel safer, but to have something genuinely accomplished. I'm not a nerdy little high school kid anymore, I'm a nerdy little college student, but I still love Taekwondo and everything it has done for me.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah yeah yeah.... I'll say it....

Bruce Lee.

He started it for me, and his physical ability was inspiring. When I see what he accomplished in his short life, I see I am a slacker.

Latest Discussions