individual ryu being taught

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had an interesting conversation the other day, just wanted to get some peoples perspective on the topic...

This guy was planning on studying kukishin ryu in Japan outside of the Bujinkan by going to "directly to the family". I was curious if this is common and what members of the Bujinkan would think of such training? If Soke has menkyo (sp), then what would be gained by searching outside of the X-kan? Do the other 8 ryu of the Bujinkan still exist outside of the context of the X-kan?

sorry if this has been asked before, a search or two did not reveal anything...

thanks!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sean Askew trained in other branches of a few of the Bujinkan schools while living in Japan, so it's certainly possible. He did comment that the training was very regimented, with the emphasis on precise kata rather than flow.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AFAIK, the Kuki family does not seem to be still teaching the art. But there are other groups that do teach their art. I know of at least one that I hold in high regard. They are good- damn good. Someone else who has trained with another did not speak highly of them. And yet a third group has a DVD that I just got that made me certain that I would never train with them even if you paid me.

Latest Discussions