In the Name of Self-Defense:: What it costs. When it's worth it

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Starting to sit down and read this book by Marc MacYoung. Looking forward to agreeing with him on some things and disagreeing on others. However, definitely looking forward to just reading this book for pleasure and knowledge. I will probably take a few weeks to read it then give a review. I know when I read "Meditations on Violence" by Rory Miller I took my time and enjoyed the book immensely. After a few pages of Marc's new book I am thinking I will enjoy it as well.

Amazon.com: In the Name of Self-Defense:: What it costs. When it's worth it eBook: Marc MacYoung: Kindle Store

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Starting to sit down and read this book by Marc MacYoung. Looking forward to agreeing with him on some things and disagreeing on others. However, definitely looking forward to just reading this book for pleasure and knowledge. I will probably take a few weeks to read it then give a review. I know when I read "Meditations on Violence" by Rory Miller I took my time and enjoyed the book immensely. After a few pages of Marc's new book I am thinking I will enjoy it as well.

Amazon.com: In the Name of Self-Defense:: What it costs. When it's worth it eBook: Marc MacYoung: Kindle Store

It is a very good book! I suspect you may agree more than disagree on his points but I look foreward to hearing your thoughts :)

Sent from my tinfoil hat.

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is a very good book! I suspect you may agree more than disagree on his points but I look foreward to hearing your thoughts :)

Sent from my tinfoil hat.
Very interesting! I will look forward to reading this book!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a good read and should be in everyone's self-defense library.

Pick up this book, read, broaden your mind set and of course when it comes to self-defense and personal protection consult with a lawyer!

Certain books I tend to advise my students to read.

Gavin De Becker's - The Gift of Fear

Rory Miller's - Meditation on Violence

Miyamoto Musashi - Book of Five Ring's

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

and now

Mark MacYoung's - In the Name of Self-Defense: What it Costs. When it's Worth it.

So, after reading it I am all in and feel that you should take a look at it for getting a feel for the issues regarding self-defense and to broaden your perspective.

The good in this book covers Mark's opinion on what is self-defense, what is violence, the road of violence, social violence, asocial violence, etc. There is a lot of information in the book. On many level's a lot more than what I have encountered with other books. So that is a big plus in that the author goes through a lot of details that many people have never considered before. Plus there are some good stories. When talking about violence he get's into threat displays and pre-attack indicators. This is a chapter of the book I thought is very important. Also the road to violence portion of the book takes a look at how violence can go from 0 to 60 so fast especially if you miss the mile markers. I liked that chapter the best.

Definitely get this book in conjunction with: Meditations on Violence and The Gift of Fear to have some balance in your reading. Being a voracious reader this topic is usually pretty dull but Mark makes it actually a fun read in my opinion.

Now, I am endorsing you get this book. However, there are some things I do not like. Personally, I do not like the: Three Brain Model. ie. Human, Monkey and Lizard. I prefer talking about the conscious, unconscious and emotional/emotions and ego. Some times if you get too far down the road and are talking about the Monkey Brain, Lizard Brain then people are going to look at you like your crazy or worse. That is my big issue with the book but..... it does make it interesting to read. So I give Mark that. Plus it is really easy when reading to just substitute in conscious thought, unconscious thought, emotions, ego, etc.

Do not take everything in the book as the only way as this is Mark's interpretation on self-defense. Always consult your local state laws and specifically do so with an attorney who specializes in this area so that they can explain the finer details.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian,
Thanks for bringing this book to my attention. I'm a junkie when it comes to martial arts books. I'll purchase this for sure.
So, how much is your commision?? Just kidding... don't hit me :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have not read this book yet. But I have always believed that both of the following are wrong:

If you

- had a "good reason" to use your MA but you didn't, and
- didn't have a "good reason" to use your MA but you did.

Now the issue is how you will define that term "good reason".

Native

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brian, have you read Rory's "Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected"? I found it presented most of the ideas and concepts from "Meditations" in a more concise, organized way. I would recommend that before Meditations. Since you seem well read on the subject, I am wondering your opinion on that one.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Native, I read this and actually misplaced this book in my library some where. ;)
It is a very, very good read and I would recommend it as well!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meditations On Violence was aimed primarily at the martial arts community. Facing Violence expanded the market as well as the scope.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is a good read and should be in everyone's self-defense library.

Pick up this book, read, broaden your mind set and of course when it comes to self-defense and personal protection consult with a lawyer!

Certain books I tend to advise my students to read.

Gavin De Becker's - The Gift of Fear

Rory Miller's - Meditation on Violence

Miyamoto Musashi - Book of Five Ring's

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

and now

Mark MacYoung's - In the Name of Self-Defense: What it Costs. When it's Worth it.

So, after reading it I am all in and feel that you should take a look at it for getting a feel for the issues regarding self-defense and to broaden your perspective.

The good in this book covers Mark's opinion on what is self-defense, what is violence, the road of violence, social violence, asocial violence, etc. There is a lot of information in the book. On many level's a lot more than what I have encountered with other books. So that is a big plus in that the author goes through a lot of details that many people have never considered before. Plus there are some good stories. When talking about violence he get's into threat displays and pre-attack indicators. This is a chapter of the book I thought is very important. Also the road to violence portion of the book takes a look at how violence can go from 0 to 60 so fast especially if you miss the mile markers. I liked that chapter the best.

Definitely get this book in conjunction with: Meditations on Violence and The Gift of Fear to have some balance in your reading. Being a voracious reader this topic is usually pretty dull but Mark makes it actually a fun read in my opinion.

Now, I am endorsing you get this book. However, there are some things I do not like. Personally, I do not like the: Three Brain Model. ie. Human, Monkey and Lizard. I prefer talking about the conscious, unconscious and emotional/emotions and ego. Some times if you get too far down the road and are talking about the Monkey Brain, Lizard Brain then people are going to look at you like your crazy or worse. That is my big issue with the book but..... it does make it interesting to read. So I give Mark that. Plus it is really easy when reading to just substitute in conscious thought, unconscious thought, emotions, ego, etc.

Do not take everything in the book as the only way as this is Mark's interpretation on self-defense. Always consult your local state laws and specifically do so with an attorney who specializes in this area so that they can explain the finer details.

Thanks Brian,

I have read Miyamoto Musashi - Book of Five Ring's and Sun Tzu - The Art of War several times but I have not read the others on this list (including acing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected). I have been reading a lot of Art specific books (Wing Chun, Taijiquan, JKD, Xingyiquan) of late and I just started on a Philosophy reading extravaganza but I will add all of these to my reading list a start reading..... which one do you suggest I start with and I shall go from there

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just re-read the areas I highlighted in this book. Marc is wordy and this book can be a tough read at times. However, having read it all the way through several times now and rereading the areas I personally highlighted I feel better in touch with what Marc has tried to convey on his approach to understanding violence. There is simply a lot of information in this book.

When reading books on personal protection, strategy and tactics geared towards violence I try to get multiple approaches. In other words I try to read a lot of different books on the subject to get other people's opinions on violence. It is actually one of the reasons I am here at MartialTalk. I am interested in what other people think and their approach to understanding physical violence among humans.

So do some reading, form your opinion and share whether here or via a book, etc. I am interested in what your educated opinion is!